A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
560 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: dog sweater  (Read 479 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ohhellojanie
« on: July 19, 2007 11:44:41 PM »

Hello!

I'm trying to make a dog sweater (more like a vest) but the patterns I've seen are too complicated for my knitting experience level.  I'm wondering if you all think it would be possible to knit one entirely in the round, with long buttonholes instead of shaped leg holes.  Could it work?  What other modifications would you suggest?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
puppymomma

matches? we don't need no stinkin' matches

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007 07:40:45 AM »

Yes, it would be possible.  Though probably uncomfortable for the dog.  Why not knit a wide rectangle and then a skinny one and then sew them together, leaving holes where the legs would go thru?  That's simple.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every day may not be a good day to die, but every day is a good day to eat pancakes.

http://funkyjewtopia.com
amyb444
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007 10:15:03 PM »

Hello!

I'm trying to make a dog sweater (more like a vest) but the patterns I've seen are too complicated for my knitting experience level.  I'm wondering if you all think it would be possible to knit one entirely in the round, with long buttonholes instead of shaped leg holes.  Could it work?  What other modifications would you suggest?

Thanks!
Knitting for Dogs has a pattern called "Feral Fair Isle" that is knit in the round. You could easily make it without the fair isle part if you wanted. It is knit in the round until you reach the armholes (legholes, whatever  Wink) and then the part that's over the back of the dog is worked back and forth while the tummy stitches are on a spare needle. Then the tummy part is worked back and forth (on a separate set of needles) and then the two are rejoined after the armpits in the round again. I hope that made some sense, I can try to explain it better if not. I've never made it personally though, I just have a copy of it, so I can't vouch for how good of a pattern it is, though it is a pretty general, custimizable dog sweater. You might want to check it out at the library or something and see if it's what you're looking for.
http://www.amazon.com/Knitting-Dogs-Irresistible-Patterns-Favorite/dp/0743270169/ref=sr_1_2/104-2369821-4999145?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185598418&sr=8-2
Here's a picture of the copy I have. It's not the best pic because the sweater is white so it doesn't show up well, but at least you get an idea of the shape.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Dry Apple Slices for Crafts
How to Ebonize Wood
How to Embroider a Towel
How to Embroider Pillows
How to Dry Flowers
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...