A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
475 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday 7/20  (Read 2946 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

disturbedpenguinpoo
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2007 03:14:09 AM »

i'm jealous! everyone's yarn looks great! i need to get practicing on my wheel so i can get more done  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anneadeline
Crafty Scientist

GEEK on so many levels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2007 09:05:51 PM »

I totally forgot about fiber Friday this week!  Maybe it had something to do with standing in line to get my Harry Potter book at midnight...  Tongue
Gorgeous everyone, and I love to see new spinners here!

feralfeminine - How do you get your plied yarns so tight and squishy looking?  They look amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RecycleMicol
Phasing out my swaps for now. I'll swap again later!

Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do or do without!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2007 02:32:33 PM »

Oooo...scrumptious seems to be a good word for all of your yarns this week everyone!

Can I post late?  I don't want to wait until Friday!  Here is approx. 650 yards of professionally dyed roving. (Might be Ashland Bay...I bought it at my LYS)

Also...will my yarn shrink to exactly 'half' in length if I ply this single against itself?  The charts say approx. 650 yards for 4 ounces if it's lace weight and approx. 475 yards if it's fingering weight for the same 4 ounces.  So...I'm confused!

Thanks!
RM
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For my Free Knitting Pattern for Hand Springs Fingerless Mitts:

View My Craft Blog

I'm finally on RAVELRY!  User ID RecycleMicol
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2007 03:55:59 PM »

If you ply your 650 yards You should end up with 325. It might be a little more or less depending on if one ply is bunchier than the other [like, if you coil one end around the other it would not be directly in half.] There's a lot of leeway in the charts from what I can tell. I've also heard that it can vary on type of fiber. That a pound of some light fiber can produce more yardage than a pound of a heavier fiber. I don't really know on that one though. You might also find that when you ply, your lace weight single plumps up to much more than a fingering weight two ply because you're taking twist out which is going to make your final yarn loftier than your single. Does that make any sense? I've just spent the past hour sweating in an unventilated basketball stadium so I'm possibly a bit loopy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2007 04:16:15 PM »

will my yarn shrink to exactly 'half' in length if I ply this single against itself?  RM

A question based on ignorance: Why ply? wouldn't you get the same results if you held two singles together?

PS: Hi RM! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
the noodle princess

When you are the moon....

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2007 07:37:54 PM »

i'm a latecomer too. i know there was some super-hero yarn posted recently and i didn't mean to copy it but it just happened! i plyed it with silver thread and added little star sequins. this is my first try at plying, yeah, need to work on that. i think it would be much easier with a wheel.

voila! my super-hero yarn.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1206/881363998_b766fd9e68.jpg?v=0
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1295/881364324_5b74cefdbd.jpg?v=0

« Last Edit: February 26, 2011 09:09:22 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

*spinswim* my hand-spun yarn and fiber shop!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5546058
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2007 09:02:56 PM »

will my yarn shrink to exactly 'half' in length if I ply this single against itself?  RM

A question based on ignorance: Why ply? wouldn't you get the same results if you held two singles together?

PS: Hi RM! Grin

No, you would not. Holding two plies together would have you knitting with two strands of yarn with the current amount of twist. It would be a tighter, and firmer yarn. Plus, it's two separate yarns then. Plying makes one, loftier [and then likely fatter in diameter] yarn that is a single piece. The two plies twist around each other rather than being held parallel. Plus, your stitches would look different because the yarn would look different.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
RecycleMicol
Phasing out my swaps for now. I'll swap again later!

Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do or do without!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2007 10:52:56 PM »

Hello there!  My friends...to the rescue!   Grin Kiss

I think I'll just do the plying and see how far up on toe-up socks I get.  Like I said, it may just make anklets...but then I'm sure that the recipient will be quite happy to be getting any handmade socks! 

About knitting the yarn together...I knit rather snugly, especially on socks or anything in the round, so I would be afraid that the double strands would be harder to manipulate in and out of the stitches without dropping or splitting one.

Thanks for all the grand information!  I've edited my post to not sound quite so wildly Aristocratic, as I have just finished watching an old British film on TCM!  Hee-hee. 

Good Evening!
RM
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For my Free Knitting Pattern for Hand Springs Fingerless Mitts:

View My Craft Blog

I'm finally on RAVELRY!  User ID RecycleMicol
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Prepare a Sushi Plate
Making Tuna Maki
Making Wasabi
How to Make Sushi Rice
Making Sushi
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...