A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,133
Currently Running With Scissors:
658 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What Needle Type Works Best?  (Read 581 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mystarstyle11
Undescribable

It's an obsession....

View Profile WWW
« on: July 19, 2007 08:11:24 PM »

Okay, I am a beginner knitter and while I was knitting, it seemed my (aluminum) needles had somehow bent or curved. It made me questions whether I should get different needles or not, which brings me to my question, what needles work best? Wooden, Bamboo, Aluminum, Steel, what?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal Swaps: OPEN
My Wists
My Blog
redwitch
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007 08:15:46 PM »

How thick are the needles? They may bend depending on material and the pressure you put on them, you might need to loosen up your grip. Needle preference is entirely personal. Wood or bamboo tend to be more grippy and hold your stitches in place, they don't move around so easily. Metal ones are more slippery. So if you are constantly dropping stitches off your needles, you might like to change to wood or bamboo (loose knitters usually): if you find that you can't move your stitches around the needles easily enough, you may prefer metal (tighter knitters usually). Some also prefer the way one type feels to the hand over another type. Don't buy lots of expensive needles until you have decided which type you like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mystarstyle11
Undescribable

It's an obsession....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007 08:19:51 PM »

Okay, thank you! They weren't that expensive anyway (Wal-Mart). My needle size is US 10.5 and if I remember I used Simply Soft.. I can't really remember anything about the yarn, though I have the label somewhere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
My Blog
puppymomma

matches? we don't need no stinkin' matches

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007 08:45:32 PM »

If you are finding that that large of a needle is bending then its either that you bought a pair of bent needles or you are gripping your needles too hard.  Which is pretty common with newbie knitters.  Its not going to affect your knitting unless they're severly bent.  Just concentrate on making your stitches looser and I'm pretty sure you'll find that your grip loosens up too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every day may not be a good day to die, but every day is a good day to eat pancakes.

http://funkyjewtopia.com
mystarstyle11
Undescribable

It's an obsession....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007 08:47:26 PM »

Thanks! I bent my needles back into shape (they weren't horribly bent) and I continued knitting. I think I am knitting too tightly so I will definitely loosen up my grip.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
My Blog
wakeupdonnie
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007 08:53:09 PM »

For circs, I like aluminum, but I've found I kinda need to splurge on bamboo DPNs because otherwise, I'll pull out the wrong needle when I'm trying to find the one that's not attached to anything and have a catastrophe. haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mystarstyle11
Undescribable

It's an obsession....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007 08:55:01 PM »

Haha. I will try getting bamboo needles and restart my project (it's kind of.. crappy anyway). Well, since I gave up on my project and couldn't possibly finish by my deadline (for a swap, but no worries I'm making something else), I will probably make a mini-mini stuffie just for the heck of it. ^^ Thanks everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
My Blog
Rain_
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007 05:40:21 AM »

Psst - cheap bamboo needles.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/needles-shop

I have two lengths of circs plus DPNs and straights from this shop and love them.

I used to knit with metal or plastic but since I bought a batch of bamboo needles I use them all the time, they're less strain on the hands for me. It is preference though, not everyone likes them. My needles warp slightly too but I like them like that, it's more comfortable.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

dizzylizzy

dreamers have become an endangered species

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007 05:56:34 AM »

When I started to learn to knit, I had aluminum needles. I was dropping stitches all over the place! So I switched to plastic. Those weren't as slippery, and they came in pretty colors too.  Cheesy But then I bought a set of bamboo needles on ebay and now I am hooked. It is definitely my favorite. And there's a lady over there that I always get my stuff from. Here's her store. http://stores.ebay.com/SusanCraftDesign
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mystarstyle11
Undescribable

It's an obsession....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007 09:48:26 AM »

Thanks everyone! It seems bamboo needles is currently winning me over. ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
My Blog
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
7 Items for Awesome Lighted Photos
Home Photography Tips
Child Modeling
Tips to Shorten Camera Shutter Lags
Family Portrait Photography
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...