A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,758
Currently Running With Scissors:
474 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What was your first project?  (Read 3137 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2007 12:39:26 PM »

my first project was a scarf, not really knitted but sort of a cross between knitting and crochet that i made up with a latch hook and a stick from my yard that i sanded down.  i made four squares in red, yellow, green, and blue from some yarn my dad bought me and sewed them together.  it fit once around my neck with no overlap, so i couldn't really wear it. 

when i learned the 'real' knit stitch in a magazine, i bought some new yarn and needles and went to town on a garter-stitch scarf.  i don't recommend those because they get boring for a new knitter.

my second project was a turtle-neck sweatervest thing with a front pocket, which took a while but was worth it.  for first projects i recommend a small something you can wear or use, just to make it more exciting.  small, meaning not a long scarf. 

I'd like to see how the method you invented works and what it looks like!!  Could you maybe post a tutorial or at least some pictures sometime?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
Ameythestlily
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2007 12:39:53 PM »

My first project?? Don't really remeber cause my great-gran taught me when I was like 4 or 5. My first completed project was a checker-board scarf for my mom about 14 yrs ago, it was good for learning knit and purl stitches. Then I got hung up in school stuff and forgot how to knit for like 3yrs then tried a ripple afghan in college but some jerk broke into my car and stole everything (so that never got finished). But lately I'm back into it and having a blast. But I think scarves are always a good place to start ( they're like giant gauge swatches that you can wear).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

2 more months till little Emmalyn makes her debut. So nervous but just can't wait Smiley
leppardess

my cats walk all over me...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2007 12:44:09 PM »

I made Knitty's Calorimetry for my first finished project. Yeah, I know, most people do scarves but I'm weird  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cdngreenie
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2007 01:22:33 PM »

first ever project was a doll blanket my Grandma started when I was, um 6?  I never finished it, I got too interested in playing Davey Crockett in the back yard...  she finished it for me.  I think I have it somewhere.

Other than that, my first self-started and finished project was a garter-stitch scarf I made  ~ 15 years later.  haha.  My Grandma was proud of me.  Turns out she'd been self-taught out of a book just like I ended up doing the second time around (Sn'B).  (She took up knitting after my Grandpa made her a pink sweater and all she could think was "if he can do that, so can I")

I would do it again.  At the time, a scarf was delightfully easy, straightforward and exciting.  I think I used 8s or 10s, so I'm not so sure why I liked it so much... 13s would have been WAY better!  haha.  I also then made about five more scarves in very short order after that.  They're great because you can whip them up, and learn new techniques ... with built in repetition so that you actually LEARN them.  I think all those scarves really helped me to understand the various properties of materials, guage and the merits of different types of knitting needles.

I don't have that scarf any more, I gave it to Goodwill because it was so glaringly flawed and I didn't really like the acrylic yarn I used.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mnemosyne_LA
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2007 02:02:56 PM »

First project was the ubiquitous scarf, made with Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Chunky, so I didn't mind that it took me so long to make it.  It ended up wider and shorter than I wanted, but it turned out pretty well overall.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Seika
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2007 02:19:48 PM »

I started a skull illusion scarf, but finished a hat Cheesy  That was too big, because I, of course, am invincible and don't need gauge Roll Eyes

I've restarted that stupid scarf 3 times, and still haven't finished it yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Do you realize that your insatiable pull for all things deadly was strong enough to recover a pack of mutant canines from extinction?  If we could bottle your luck, we'd have a weapon of mass destruction on our hands." --Edward, Eclipse
wakeupdonnie
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2007 02:27:18 PM »

Typical: a garter stitch scarf using orange and green Wool-Ease thicknquick, three years ago.

I'd choose the same thing again, because dear LORDY, was I having problems with adding and dropping stitches. If I'd started with ANYTHING the least bit more complex, I'd have thrown it through a window.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007 02:28:32 PM by wakeupdonnie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindsoriah

In character at all times

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2007 04:32:39 PM »

I'd like to see how the method you invented works and what it looks like!!  Could you maybe post a tutorial or at least some pictures sometime?

Sure, but I warn you it's really slow and tight, and now that I think of it it's pretty much crochet but with a stick in your way.  Basically, you just crochet a chain (say 20 stitches) then wrap yarn around your stick 20 times.  Then you take the yarn and with your latchhook (you could use a crochet hook, I just didn't have one) you draw the yarn through the first stitch of the crochet row, then make another loop through the first wrap on your stick, and through the loop already on your hook.  work in this manner to the end of the row/stick, then take the stick out.  turn and repeat.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, accessories, disguises, animals, riding my bike, pen pals, and the Lone Star State.
Ameythestlily
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2007 04:37:15 PM »

that sounds like tunisian/afghan crochet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

2 more months till little Emmalyn makes her debut. So nervous but just can't wait Smiley
craftybecky
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2007 05:16:03 PM »

My first project was a pair of striped socks I knit when i was nine. They won grand champion in the show. I am very proud. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Selena Gomez Gets Sexy in Sequins and Lace
Learn How to Hem Your Jeans
H&M Designs Sustainable Evening Wear Collection
Man Bids $360k On Princess Diana Gown To Cheer Up Wife
Designer Spotlight: YANA K
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...