A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,751
Currently Running With Scissors:
651 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: GAUGE ISSUES - HELP!  (Read 240 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

woohag
« on: July 19, 2007 09:33:34 PM »

Ok, I hate the whole gauge thing but I know that, especially when knitting clothing, it's necessary...so I'm doing it.  I only have the needle size below what the pattern suggests, but I thought I should check it out anyway and see what I get.  So I cast on and did the gauge swatch which, like most others, says it should be 14 sts X 20 rows = 4".  I measured my swatch with my Boye gauge thing (the plastic white ruler), setting it at 10 sts as it says, and it came out to 3-1/2" for the 10 sts.  BUT...when I measured the 14 sts across with my tape measurer, it's exactly 4". 

WHICH ONE IS RIGHT?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007 09:34:10 PM by woohag » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://whittsknits.blogspot.com

I'm beyond your peripheral vision, so you might wanna turn your head.  ~Ani Difranco
preciousmonkey
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007 05:24:02 AM »

they both are...aren't they? Huh

the guage required is based on the 14sts measurement so go with that, proportionally the 10st measurement is also right?Huh?? i thnk???

so......your guage seems spot on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TAOJ

eating my strawberries

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007 06:48:27 AM »

If your guage is consistent then I would say it is on for the 14st.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007 07:12:03 AM »

When knitting a swatch, you need to CO more stitches than the gauge for getting 4". The end sts can be a little different size, so the measurement can fool you. CO about 20 sts in this case and measure the middle ones to figure what gauge you're getting. Though if you're getting 3 sts per inch in the middle, that would right, so you're good to go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
woohag
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007 10:14:55 AM »

Thanks everyone!!!  At the probable risk of sounding like an idiot, I'll admit that I still don't get how the 3-1/2" at 10 sts works out to be okay, but then again math was never my strong suit so I'm just gonna take your words for it and go ahead with my project. :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm beyond your peripheral vision, so you might wanna turn your head.  ~Ani Difranco
Maritime Fibreista
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007 10:52:51 AM »

I'm not sure why the Boye thing would tell you to measure 10 stitches only - the number of stitches to measure depends on what gauge!

But for the math question - it's a matter of proportion.  Gauge is a fraction:  14sts/4" = 3.5sts/1" = 10sts/2.86" (so you are right, something is off between your two measurements - that's why bigger gauge swatches are better - then you can measure several places and average them out!).  Personally I think if you measure a couple of places with a regular measuring tape and get 14 sts/4", then you are probably good to go - then I'd try and figure out the Boye gauge thingy and why it's giving different numbers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

woohag
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007 11:07:38 AM »

I'm not sure why the Boye thing would tell you to measure 10 stitches only - the number of stitches to measure depends on what gauge!

But for the math question - it's a matter of proportion.  Gauge is a fraction:  14sts/4" = 3.5sts/1" = 10sts/2.86" (so you are right, something is off between your two measurements - that's why bigger gauge swatches are better - then you can measure several places and average them out!).  Personally I think if you measure a couple of places with a regular measuring tape and get 14 sts/4", then you are probably good to go - then I'd try and figure out the Boye gauge thingy and why it's giving different numbers!

Thanks for this, it helps! I'm such a math idiot.  The Boye thing says on it to "place the point at 10 stitches"...that is part of what confuses me, like you say. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Trick to Making Delicious Buttermilk Biscuits
3 Healthy Pumpkin Spice Treats
How to Make Pink Applesauce Pancakes
How to Make Charred Tomatoes and a Fried Egg on Garlic Toast
How to Make a Moist and Juicy Meatloaf
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...