A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 303,162
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bubble Wrap Window Sheers  (Read 6526 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: July 19, 2007 10:52:51 AM »

Our living room is taking on this very... pop art kind of feel. Between the Loud Couch and the bright screen and  the road sign and the lava lamps in the fire place....

So, our front door has this largeish pane of glass. And, even though there is a front porch enclosure, at night, if you look at our house, you can see straight through the front door and into the depths of the house. But I really like lots of light so I didn't want any old regular curtain.

Enter, Bubble Wrap Window Sheers

Generally, I have all this stuff (bubble wrap and grommets and bias tape) on-hand, but I've been going through a lot of supplies lately.

You'd think this would be a pretty straight-forward bit of curtain-making, eh? Instead, we waited too long for dinner (trying to get to supply stores before they closed) and wound up thoroughly cranky and then frustrated when things weren't going as anticipated. Originally, there was just going to be one sheet of bubble wrap, but we couldn't find any that was wide enough. Then we had issues getting them to hang properly. The curtain rod was too big. We had a little brass rod on-hand, from a surplus store excursion so that got trimmed to a better length. But our earlier, lack-of-food-induced crankiness made it all too easy to slip over into full-on aggravation.

We finally got everything sorted and then went to bed because we were still aggravated and it was kind of late. The curtains, because they had been so frustrating, really still just seemed mediocre. It wasn't until I was getting ready to leave this morning and I saw the light coming through them just as I'd hoped it would that I really loved these curtains.

Now I have to make another set for the other door in the living room that leads into the back yard. It has the same dimensions and so should work the same. I'm going to use the same blue trim so the sets of curtains match. It's very close to the blue that is in our couch and the blue that is on the slatted door screen.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007 04:33:48 PM by sweets4ever - Reason: edited to insert images for new member - welcome to Craftster! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Doing what you like is Freedom. Liking what you do is Happiness.

Procrastination: art of keeping up with last week

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007 11:06:29 AM »

I love bubble wrap!!  What a great idea!! 

Lava means love.
I'm listening!

It could be worse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007 11:34:03 AM »

Smart!  Bubblewrap curtains are the much cooler cousin to the traditional keep-the-neighbors-from-snooping lacy curtain!  Sharp thinking!

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007 11:53:51 AM »

Very cool and pop art-esque indeed. How on earth you refrain from sitting by the window and endlessly popping your curtains is beyond me- that's what I'd be tempted to do.

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007 12:05:38 PM »

Thanks, y'all! It IS tempting to pop the curtains every time I go in or out of the house, but I've saved a couple of sheets for popping-only purposes. *grin* So far, so good. And if it gets TOO hard to resist, well, I can always make more. *grin*

Now Presenting...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007 12:55:07 PM »

That is such an awesome idea!  Grin

I have a roll of bubble wrap around here somewhere... I got it for my birthday, because I love to pop it so much.  Tongue

Craft Dilettante

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007 09:15:44 PM »

Woo woo!

excellent, and as a matter of fact, yes

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007 05:06:20 PM »

That's so inventive and much cooler than I would have imagined! (sorry, that's supposed to be a compliment  Wink) It looks like it obscures the view from outsiders but still allows in plenty of light. Seriously, though, I would not be able to keep my hands off poppable curtains!
lee-lee ess.
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007 04:30:55 PM »

I love that!  I even showed it to my boyfriend, who was equally impressed.  That was very creative of you, and I'm actually quite surprised at how nicely the seem to work.  They also look very professional!

I don't know if it'd last long if I had them, though!  hehe, I love bubble wrap.
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007 10:09:17 AM »

How clever! I'd love to see pictures of this completed "pop art" room you speak of.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear the Military Trend
How to Wash Every Type of Fabric
Top 4 New Ways to Style Your Plaid Top
Celebrities Hit the Beach in Their Bikinis
Top 10 Ways to Wear a Little Black Dress
Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!
Tute Tuesday: Witch Hat Fascinator

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...