A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 301,994
Currently Running With Scissors:
609 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: can yarn be cursed?  (Read 1749 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crumpet79

Never quite sure what I'm going to make next...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007 05:24:13 PM »

Either that or you should put the yarn on an alter, light a candle and burn sage while chanting.  You might set the yarn on fire, make it smell gross, and scare innocent bystanders, but it might behave better after that.   Smiley

I have yarn that isn't cursed but probably deserves detention, so I sympathize for sure!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007 05:51:43 PM »

Yes, it can!

Red Heart hates me. First I frogged the scarf I was making four times. Then I decided to just crochet it into a hat and then my hands got all itchy. Now I have non-wearable hat. I'll see if washing it does any good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
spaghetti
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007 06:16:10 PM »

Yes, it can!

Red Heart hates me. First I frogged the scarf I was making four times. Then I decided to just crochet it into a hat and then my hands got all itchy. Now I have non-wearable hat. I'll see if washing it does any good.

I don't think that's cursed yarn... I think it's just regular old Red Heart. Wink It's notorious for being rough and uncomfortable.  I hope that washing helps!  (But don't get your hopes up...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
Lullabye_B
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2007 11:12:44 PM »

Well, I certainly feel better... I thought I was the only one who thought certain yarn could be "cursed"! I had a blanket project going (on and on and on) that I was using plain old Red Heart worsted weight yarn to make... EVERY time I worked on it, I'd fall asleep, so I convinced myself it had a "sleep curse" on it (I never zonked out on any other project- including blankets/ throws)... eventually I had to just give it away (unfortunately, I also gave away the "sleep curse".... but at least it isn't MY "curse" anymore  Grin )!

Hey- I am noticing other posts that mention Red Heart yarn... hmmmmm... we may be on to something, here!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Knit your heart with an unslipping knot" ~Shakespeare
cfbandit

Rock on with your bad self, Penny!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007 12:05:18 PM »

i have a giant ball of handicrafter cotton that refuses to be made into anything. i also think it's cursed.

Me too! I've never had such a terrible time except with boucle, and I'm beginning to believe the boucle hates me due to my terrible French pronounciation (though I read and write en Francais very well).

Yes, the Red Handicrafter cotton. I keep hoping I can find some sort of devil costume to make it into.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog: http://craftingyoohooville.blogspot.com
My Wist: http://www.wists.com/cfbandit

Ravelry: cfbandit

Member of the Al-ette Fan Club
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007 03:40:35 PM »

Cursed? Maybe.

Permanently incompatible? Bet on it. It's just not into you. Wink

It doesn't want to be your yarn any more, and you're going to bring bad memories to your next trial. Pass it on to someone else and spend your time with yarn that can love you back.

BTW, you can do your best for Red Heart , but chances are it will turn on you.

It's not just plied -- it's twisted Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007 06:08:17 PM »

After my horrible experience with Red Heart, I've been sticking to Simply Soft. No problems, just that it sometimes splits.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
wakeupdonnie
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007 10:30:57 PM »

Yup.

Just ask the two balls of royal blue Lion Brand Microspun that have been collecting dust in my room for the past three years, if not more.

I've tried making stuff. It just.. never works out. I hate it.

I'm selling the stuff, it makes me so mad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meriellyn
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2007 10:39:24 AM »

Yup.

Just ask the two balls of royal blue Lion Brand Microspun that have been collecting dust in my room for the past three years, if not more.

I've tried making stuff. It just.. never works out. I hate it.

I'm selling the stuff, it makes me so mad.

OMG YES! I had cursed lavandar/violet/some purpley name Microspun (which was actually light blue). It refused to become any shawl I tried. Flat out refused. So I swapped it away doe some Drops alpace and it became a beautiful shawl for someone else (I got to see pictures Smiley ).

I say banish it to a dark corner somewhere to think about the error of its ways and if it still refuses to cooperate, swap it away. It doesn't want to be with you and you deserve a yarn that does! Lol Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2007 02:05:52 PM »

Sure it can. I think it goes even further than the yarn having a bad attitude I think some yarns are cursed with lack of inspiration aka yarn depression. I had a ton of this lovely soft blue yarn that had been my grandmothers, She planned to make it into a vest for my father and never did, then my mom got it nearly made a baby blanket but never did and then I had it. I had to swap it I hope it's broken the curse becasue the stuff wasn't awefull or anything just not inspireing to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Rise of Jazz Age Manhattan
Denise Kiernan on Life in the Manhattan Project’s Secret Cities
Cohabitate and Live Longer
Long-Term Effects of the Airport Backscatter
Gloucester Inspires Novel: Beauty
Latest Blog Articles
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak
Tute Tuesday: July 4th Light Up the Sky Hat

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...