A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,592
Currently Running With Scissors:
745 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ready to give up-yarn sub woes  (Read 470 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

funkyflower
« on: July 19, 2007 04:33:04 AM »

Am in tears again with knitting.

all because of yarn and yarn shops.

when i first started working with yarn, i was crocheting. i made the mistake of buying yarn willy-nilly and not for specific projects-guess what most of it is still here, as it wasn't right for any of the projects i then decided on/couldn't find a project for that yarn/gauge combination.

So I decided when i took up knitting, to only buy for specific projects.

First sweater I wanted to try was the suss sweater. Subbed yarn as there was no way I could afford the suss yarn. I ordered over the internet (no LYS)-didn't like the colour when i got it but didn't want to send it back as it would've cost me almost the price of the yarn in postage. so i made the sweater for my gran-without her measurements-i guessed and ended up making it too large Sad

moved house. got excited about 2 LYS stores being near by. Bummed to find out that I can't get in to either of them (am a wheelchair user, they are both up 2 steps)

bought yarn from one, sat out in the street, with help from the shop people and mum. felt a bit overwhelmed and embarassed and ended up buying 50%cotton 50% acrylic as a yarn sub for 55% Merino Wool, 33% Microfibre, 12% Cashmere. not very clever at all and today i find i can't even get gauge with it (i should be able to)

ugh not a happy bunny as you can see.

I am a continental knitter and hear that it is relatively common for continental knitters to be lose knitters. I don't have a problem with socks on DPNs but anything on my denise set and I have to go down at least 2 needle sizes. mind you i am not using the exact yarn that the pattern suggests, but even compared to the ball band...

Any books you recommend for helpful hints on yarn subbing? Knitting without tears?

Any Uk recommendations on getting hold of (wool content) aran weight yarns that so many funky patterns seem to require, but that don't cost the earth? (I have the list of shops that the livejournal brit knits group recommends, more interested in specific yarns.

Does anyone else knit on gauge for socks but not on their denise sets?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
WhisperedEternity
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007 04:47:34 AM »

Well Wendy do an Aran yarn with wool in it, it's pretty cheap too, especially considering when you see how big the balls are: http://www.angelyarns.com/wendy/knit.php/yarn/1204

My LYS also stocks two other very similar yarns, one is made by Stylecraft, however I can't find an online shop that sells it currently. I can't remember the other brand but I can look next time I'm in the shop for you if you'd like?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live, love, be, believe
Rain_
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007 04:54:46 AM »

Ebay is your friend, you can get a lot of the more expensive yarns quite cheaply (Debbie Bliss / Rowan etc) if you keep an eye out for them.

Other than that there are quite a few good UK online shops. I keep a list of projects I'd like to make and what I need for them and then buy up a lot of yarn at sale times and so on.

I really like this site for good natural yarns at decent prices
http://www.scandinavianknittingdesign.eu/ - fast and efficient

Others I know of are
Kemps - fantastic prices on Sirdar, Twilleys etc.
Kangaroo - free P&P on yarns and buttons
Woolly Workshop
Get Knitted
MCA Direct - Free postage for orders over 10
The Knit Tin
Jannettes Rare Yarns on ebay
Cucumberpatch - fast and efficient and often have good offers
Celticove/Stash Fine Yarns - fast and have great sales, stock Lopi and Lana Grossa and lots more

It's just a case of looking around and signing up for mailing lists, many shops will email special offers and news of sales and so on.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

i poke badgers with spoons!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007 06:50:08 AM »

(((hugs)))

i'm an American knitter, so i can't make any yarn shop suggestions. but i know what it's like to try as you might, you can't get gauge and choosing completely wrong yarn subs. i'm an English knitter and i knit tightly which causes loads of gauge problems.

here's hoping it all works out for you!

as for the LYSes and your chair... maybe you could have a fundraiser with the LYS to have removable wooden ramp to be built so you can access the store and become their best customer  Wink you could do a coffee can at the register and people can donate their loose change. some local boys did this recently to get money to buy laptop computers w/ webcams so they can stay in touch while one is in a Boston hospital for 6 months for cancer treatment.

ETA: try Etsy.com and Ebay.com both have international sellers and some sellers are willing to ship internationally for an extra charge.

WEBS will ship internationally as well.

or if you have American friends who are willing to help, maybe you can purchase yarn from Knit Picks and have it shipped to them and they can in turn ship it to you. i know a lot of European knitters who do this.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007 07:45:38 AM by isisfae » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. ~Mark Twain
mooncalf
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007 07:04:04 AM »

I second the recommendations above (although I'll never shop at angelyarns again). CucumberPatch have some lovely Jaeger Merino aran on sale at the moment in gorgeous colours which might be ideal for you.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mooncalf
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007 07:05:48 AM »

Oh, and some rowanspun aran which is nice too. What are you making?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
funkyflower
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007 07:43:36 AM »

Grin thank you

whisperedeternity the wendy recommendation is fantastic thank you, it will be wonderful for a byte scarf i've had in mind for ages.

rain_ thanks, i've signed up for email updates - haha that could get dangerous on the pocket though! that scandinavian shop link is lovely-definitely worth remembering for the drops patterns for sure.

isisfae Smiley @ the hugs! just what I needed, apologies if I was a bit woe is me Wink Fundraiser sounds like a fab idea, we could block the street with knitters and ask people to pay to get through Wink hehe! (if you google images york the shambles you'll see that that is easily done!) not sure on the logistics of a ramp, but worth looking in to for sure.

mooncalf you naughty naughty FANTASTIC person! the jaeger extra fine merino is ideal for knitty's tubey (the project I had in mind!-am thinking the bright pink!) BUT also seen some chunky on sale which would be ideal for Ysolda's apocalypse. Thank you, I shall have to measure up again and get ordering. My poor pocket.

Hoping to exchange the wrong yarn for sock yarn some time too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

i poke badgers with spoons!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007 07:48:52 AM »

isisfae Smiley @ the hugs! just what I needed, apologies if I was a bit woe is me Wink Fundraiser sounds like a fab idea, we could block the street with knitters and ask people to pay to get through Wink hehe! (if you google images york the shambles you'll see that that is easily done!) not sure on the logistics of a ramp, but worth looking in to for sure.

no worries! you sounded like you needed a hug!

i also added a few other ideas like WEBS or having an American friend accept a Knit Picks order for you and then ship it to the UK.

and what's known as a coffee can drive. those work wonders. just put an empty coffee can (or other large can) on the register with a notice stating what you're collecting money for. it's amazing how fast those cans fill up with loose change. maybe the LYS will let you do that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. ~Mark Twain
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Origami Fish
How to Make an Origami Lily
How to Make an Origami Bat
How to Make an Origami Inflatable Bunny
How to Make an Origami Flapping Bird
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...