A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,238
Currently Running With Scissors:
724 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fun from Pepsi cans (with tutorial)  (Read 2560 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissNoemi
« on: July 18, 2007 07:49:21 PM »

Here's to a first project post! Who wouldn't want an aluminum elephant sitting on their desk? I saw this little guy from Can Do Planes and was inspired. Smiley He's not perfect, but it was a quick, fun project. And hey, it was a fun way to recycle.

My little guy:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/cherrypineapple/DSC06267.jpg

If you want to make one, here's how I made mine (I winged the whole thing, and I know that's a workable method, too):

What you'll need:
- an aluminum can; soda pop, juice, beer can, whatever. And yes, you only need one
- needle nose pliers
- a pair of scissors; the aluminum cuts surprisingly easy. I used a pair of office scissors, but a pair of straight nail scissors would probably work best
- GLUE. I used some heavy duty do-it-all glue. Super glue would probably work just fine
- a needle large enough to poke a hole that your wire will fit through
- possibly a sharpie to write on the can. Or freestyle cut
- something to hold the pieces together. Crafting wire like some for jewelry would probably be best. I tried paper clips. Unless you are immensely patient, DON'T use these.

1. Puncture the side of the can near the base. Cut around the edge of the can near the bottom. Use the pliers to fold down the sharp edge into the can base, working around the circumference.
2. Draw your creature. Either draw it on a piece of paper for a pattern, making sure that you mind the length of the can, or freestyle cut on the can.
- Note: For the elephant, I only cut slits (rather than cut out the section between his legs) where the legs went up so I could bend the side to be his stomach.
- Note #2: Give his legs (or just back legs) a little more length so you can fold down a bit to glue to the base.
3. Flip your pattern (so you don't have to fold out the can bend) and cut out the second side of your creature.
3. Cut in any features. For my elephant, I cut a slit for the mouth.
4. Find a part of the can unused and cut out a rectangle that will fit into the base to hold up your critter. Mine fit that it didn't need any glue, but I had to trim it.
5. Create ears and tail (and whatever else). My tail was a thin strip and the ears were vague rounded triangles with the V cut in and then folded in half.
Bring your pieces together. Fold up the underbelly and glue the two flaps. Pinch together the trunk, poke holes in a few places and insert the wiring to hold it together. Poke holes for the ears and put those in, too. Then, at the top, thread wiring to connect the two sides with some room in between.
6. Cut out a piece for the top of the elephant. It will need to taper along the shape of your elephant. Free hand is probably best.
7. Glue/wire down all missing pieces, and you're set!

That's probably far more ridiculously detailed than necessary, but I hope that helps your aluminum animal endeavors. Phew! And it's a lot easier than it looks to bend and cut the aluminum, so just have fun with it! Cheesy I'd love to see if anyone creates any other fun creatures.

Inspiration:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/cherrypineapple/candoele.jpg
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011 03:13:43 PM by jungrrl - Reason: added working image » THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007 08:04:33 PM »

Wow, that's amazing! How'd you do it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
susankg53
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007 08:29:22 PM »

that is so cool, how did you do that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hypotenoose

Never refuse a breathmint.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007 08:40:45 PM »

Who wouldn't want an aluminum elephant sitting on their desk?

No-one in their right mind wouldn't ! ! !

SO CUTE, THAT.

*Ovation*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007 10:16:01 PM »

OMG I love elephants ! you have no idea how much ! can you please please please post a tute please !!!!!! thank you so much
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Benson Bobrick Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
John Carter Cash Wishes He Had This Talent
Swoon Book Trailer
John Avant Talks About If God Were Real
Meet Author of Cowboy and Wills
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner
Monsters, Monsters Everywhere

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...