A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
496 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Luna Lovegood's Crocheted Cardigan Pattern from Harry Potter  (Read 155381 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter , craftster_best_of_2007 , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chucklikesart
RADTASTIC!

Cross my heart and kiss my elbow.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 18, 2007 07:11:12 PM »

Like many other people on this site, I often find myself watching movies not only for the plot, but for the costumes as well. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix certainly fit this category, as I found myself taking costume notes on any and all pieces I could find in my purse. I found myself most taken with Evanna Lynchs wardrobe, and wanted nothing more than to dress like Luna Lovegood. My favorite item of hers had to be the crocheted purple sweater purple (which appeared blue on my movie screen).

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/the_knittymistress/luna6.jpg
So, whats a girl do when she wants a sweater like the one in the movie? She goes to Wal-Mart at 9:30 at night and buys two skeins of yarn and a crochet hook, then gets to crafting Wink

So, I made this sweater to fit me, and Im not really good at figuring out sizes, but Im pretty sure it will fit most people the way it is its not really a fitted shirt. The hem is meant to fall at your natural waist. This is my first pattern, so bear with me.

Here are some pictures of my final result:
Forgive the squinty eyesand red face-- it's hot and bright in Texas. Also, my hair is normally dishwater blonde, not pink-- the dye from my Tonks costume has yet to wash out.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/the_knittymistress/patternpic1.jpg
Side:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/the_knittymistress/patternpic2.jpg
Back:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/the_knittymistress/patternpic3.jpg

If you have any questions, comment or message me and Ill do my best to answer!

Here are some helpful links:
http://www.io.com/~cortese/crafts/raglan.html-- A Guide to Raglan Sweaters
http://www.crochetme.com/easy-crocheted-button-covers-- How to crochet button covers

My measurements for comparison
Bust-41
Waist- 31
Hips- 41
Bicep- 12

Finished Garment Measurements-
Bust- 42
Waist- 34
Shoulder to Hem- 15
Center back- 13
Neck- 18
Neck to Sleeve Hem- 12
Sleeve width- 19

Supplies:
2 Skeins of Caron Simply Soft Brites! <100% Acrylic/Worsted Weight/4 Ply/ 315 Yards> In Berry Blue 9606
(Youll use all of one skein and most of the second)
I/9 /5.50mm  Crochet Hook
4 or 5 1    coverable buttons.

Stitches:
90-Degree Increase:
In the corner, make 2dc-ch1-2dc. Make the next set of increase stitches in the ch1-sp.
Double Crochet:
Yarn over hook, insert hook in the next stitch to be worked, yarn over hook, pull yarn through stitch, yarn over hook, pull yarn through 2 loops on hook, yarn over hook,
pull yarn through last 2 loops on hook (one double crochet made)
Picot:
Slip Stitch 1, Ch3, dc in 3rd ch from hook, slip stitch
Fishnet Mesh:
Ch3, sc in center of ch3 from previous row, ch3, sc in center of ch3 from previous row, etc.
Abbreviations
sc- single crochet
dc- double crochet
ch-chain
I recommend frequent trying-on as you go, to make sure it fits how you want it to!
Getting Started:

First decide if you are going to have four buttons or five buttons, because that will dictate how you turn the edges of your sweater. Lunas has five, but I made mine with 4 because I only had access to four coverable buttons, and I have no concept of patience when it comes to finishing a project Wink

Chain 59
Row 1: Dc In 3rd chain from hook. Dc in every chain to end. Ch6 turn
Row 2: Dc in first 7 stitches.  In eighth stitch, make a 90-degree increase. Dc in the next 13 stitches. In 14th stitch, make a 90-degree increase. Dc in the next 12 stitches. In 13th stitch make a 90-degree increase. Dc in the next 13 stitches. In 14th make a 90-degree increase. Dc to end. Ch3
Row3: *Dc to the center chain of your first 90-Degree increase. Make 90-increase in center chain, then continue in dc to next 90-degree increase, where you will make another increase . Work in this fashion to end. Chain 3 and turn
Rows 4-12: Repeat row 3
This is what a 90-degree increase looks like in the FO
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/the_knittymistress/90degree.jpg

A NOTE ON BUTTONHOLES: If you chose five buttons, you will chain 6 at the end of your 5th and 11th rows, rather than the standard 3. If you chose 4 buttons, you will chain 6 at the end of your 7th row.
You should now have , when laid out flat, what looks like a large square with a split in one side and a square hole in the center. This is the yoke of your sweater! YAY!

Forming the body:
Row 1: dc to the first 90-degree increase. Going through the chain in the center of the increase, join with the chain in the second 90-degree increase, bypassing the sleeve stitches. Dc across the back and repeat this procedure with the other sleeve.  Dc to end. Ch 3 and turn
Row 2: Dc to end, ch3 turn (if adding 4 buttons, ch6 here instead of ch3)
Row 3: Dc 32 times, skip 1, dc to end, ch3, turn
Row 4: Dc 32 times, skip1, dc to end, ch3 turn  (if adding 5 buttons, ch6 here instead of ch3)
Row 5. Dc 32 times, skip 1, dc 3 times, skip1, dc 3 times, skip 1, dc to end, ch 3, turn
Row 6- 10: Repeat Row 5 (ch6 at end or row 9 instead of ch3)
Row 11: Dc to end.

Now, without turning, slip stitch along the inside of the sweater, along the buttonhole, from the base to the collar. When you reach the collar sc in every loop across the neck. At the end of the collar, slip stitch down the inside of the sweater. Bind off at bottom edge and weave yarn tail in to the sweater.

YOUVE FINISHED THE BODY! PARTY!!!

Time for sleeves!(this is where it gets weird. Ask me, seriously, if you have any questions)
This may be a little confusing, because it was confusing for me to make Tongue

You are going to start off with a total of 54 stitches,
Starting at the underarm,  join the first and last stitches of the sleeve.
Chain 3 Dc 27 times, chain three, sc back into the 27th stitch, ch3 then continue dc around the sleeve  to beginning. Dont Join. Ch3 and turn.
Row 2: Dc in first stitch. ch3, skip 1, dc to 1 stitch before ch3 in previous row. Skip one, ch3, sc in center chain of ch3. Ch3 more, sc in center chain of next ch3,
 Continue in this fashion for the next 10 rows,  Every time you approach the fishnet area, stop one stitch short of the previous row, ch3, and start the mesh across. At the end of the mesh, you will chain three extra and skip a dc, then continue in dc across the piece to the next triangle of mesh.

In the end your piece should look like this:

|*---------*---------*|
|**-------**-------**|
|***----*****----***|
|****-********-****|

*stole this from yelley at craftster.org. Thanks, love!*
My finished sleeve:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/the_knittymistress/sleeve.jpg

Every row, your dc area should get smaller, and your mesh area should get bigger.

For your final round, youll slip stitch your way across the bottom of the sleeve, making a picot in every loop of the ch3 mesh, rather than in the stitches themselves.

Bind off, then stitch up the back of the sleeve. Weave ends in.

Repeat for other sleeve

*I know this part is more than a little shaky and wonky, but Im making my self available for all questions you may havecomment me, message me, e-mail me (maggiemae88@gmail.com) and Ill do my best to answer all of the questions you have to the best of my ability).

Now all you have to do is cover your buttons using the instructions at the link I posted at the beginning, and then sew them on, and youll be finished!!!
Here are my Buttons:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/the_knittymistress/buttons.jpg

Oh, and just for fun, my Raddish earrings I made to go with the sweater:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/the_knittymistress/raddishearrings.jpg
I used RedMenace's pattern, which you can find here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=182000.0
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012 03:52:01 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

frenchnewwave
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007 07:12:31 PM »

can't wait to see the pics!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
magicmeg0zors
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007 07:13:29 PM »

ohhhh this is great.

i'm so happy i'm not the only one who loves her costumes. Smiley

i thought it was great that the color choices really played her eyes up.

whoo hoo...off to hobby lobby.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
digitallasagna
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007 07:23:38 PM »

brilliant!!!!!
I'm going to have to go whip out that crochet hook!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fairysari
)'( deep playa walker )'(

guinea piggin'

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007 07:34:25 PM »

Wow I wish I knew how to crochet!

I started knitting the cloud bolero in that colour hoping it would look similar, since I figured I have no hope of ever crocheting one. Congrats on figuring out the pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:Ravelry:.  .:Tumblr:.  .:Flickr:.
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007 07:55:17 PM »

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm so making this!

Can't wait for the pictures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
danceisthenewmosh
Photographs may not lie, but liars may photograph

Kissing Toby Goodbye

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007 08:27:14 PM »

You rule.  I am so impressed right now.  If it wasn't 11:30 pm I would wake the baby up and we would take a trip to Meijer, not the best place for yarn, but it is open 24/7.

On a side note, I saw the movie twice, the first time her sweater looked blue.  The second time was in a different state and her sweater looked purple.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apologies to whoever were upset by my absent.  I was in and out of the hospital from December 2007 until June 2008.
chucklikesart
RADTASTIC!

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007 09:02:13 PM »

On a side note, I saw the movie twice, the first time her sweater looked blue.  The second time was in a different state and her sweater looked purple.

So I'm not the only one!?!?!!?!  I could have sworn it was this color(which is a bit bluer than the picture indicates):
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/the_knittymistress/ii_627.jpg
Exactly. And my brothers who were with me when I bought the yarn agreed it was the exact color. Oh well. 2 theatres about 30 miles away and they both screwed up the color...

Thanks for all of the encouragement, ladies! I'm excited to see your finished projects!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012 09:42:49 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

binta
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007 09:42:45 PM »

i'm so excited! i've purchased my yarn and as of this time tomorrow i plan on having a solid start on it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chucklikesart
RADTASTIC!

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007 09:51:58 PM »

i'm so excited! i've purchased my yarn and as of this time tomorrow i plan on having a solid start on it!
AWESOME!!!!

Let me know if when it gets confusing, and I'll do my best to help iron out the kinks.

*is squeeing with joy at the prospect of sharing a pattern*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Retired General Russell Honore Wishes He Had This Talent
Rick Warren Talks About His Favorite Movies
Get to Know Cartoonist Jim Benton
Joseph Maroon Reveals the Secrets to Longevity
The Talent Ashley Bryan Wish He Had
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...