A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,055
Currently Running With Scissors:
407 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Another Anthropologie sweater redux, need help pls!  (Read 1263 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pixelpusher
« on: July 18, 2007 05:10:26 PM »

OK, so I was cruising the Anthropoloie site today looking for things to rip off, haha!! Well, I found this: sorry for the screwy URL, I am rushing, here... http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&id=710440&parentid=APP_SWEATERS&pushId=APP_SWEATERS&popId=APP_SWEATERS&sortProperties=%2BmarketingPriority%2C-startDate&navCount=3&navAction=poppush&color=lac
I really like it, at least the silouhette of it... Im not crazy about the sideways stitching on the top section.  I was thinking that the Belle Epoque from Knitty could be modded to suit the idea, but with a heavier guage yarn, like a worsted maybe?  I have NO idea how to adjust a pattern for a different yarn, and would have zero clue how to event start.... OR is there a different pattern somewhere that nips in like that and has just a cute cap sleeve?? Moving to Virgina and I need "real" Fall clothes... Fall here in FL requires.... flipflops and OH NO, LONG pants, haha!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007 08:28:12 PM »

Looks like an empire waist with more increases to make the flowy bottom part (closer to a circle).  Do you know how to knit top-down raglan style? I think sleeves like that could be achieved easily enough with it (there's a beginner top-down knitalong with instructions for a boat neck http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=152316.0). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melimay
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007 09:17:57 AM »

Stitch 'n' Bitch Nation has an excellent tutorial on how to alter a pattern for a different gauge yarn.  It was you through the math step by step and covers every element needed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indie-knitter

new slang, when you notice the stripes...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007 10:24:47 AM »

that looks really cool! It seems like it was knitted flat in garter stitch for the top and then probably seamed at one side, then maybe picked up stitches at the empire waist with increases to make it flowy, plus ribbing at the collar and shoulders.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

documenting my addiction to yarn and needles at http://www.indieknits.wordpress.com/

Will personal swap for Interweave Knits Winter '06! Please PM me if you have a copy!
pixelpusher
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007 06:43:22 PM »

I will def. check out how to do a top down raglan.... I havn't done one, but that isnt gonna stop me! haha!! 
Thanks for the idea.
Any idea how much yarn it would take?!?!?!!

and on SnB Nation and the math for using different gauge yarn........ ARRRRRRRRRRRRGH I jsut packe dthat book last week. PHOOEY.
And the only person that I know that would have it for me to look at.... is 16 hours away. PHOOEY again.

Tongue
thanks though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chocoholique

obsessed with knitting.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007 08:52:25 AM »

Hi there pixelpusher.

I'm in LOVE with this sweater too.  It looks so cozy and comforting while being very sexy and feminine.

I'm going to attempt making this (total newbie) after I finish my next few projects. 

Please keep us up to date on your progress attempting to recreate this lovely sweater.  Wishing you lots of luck!  By the way, doing a top-down raglan is incredibly easy!

PS Good luck with your move!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007 08:55:56 AM by chocoholique » THIS ROCKS   Logged

my newly minted knitting blog:
http://knitsbyshannon.wordpress.com/
peps

Knits with Cat.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007 11:17:04 AM »

that looks really cool! It seems like it was knitted flat in garter stitch for the top and then probably seamed at one side, then maybe picked up stitches at the empire waist with increases to make it flowy, plus ribbing at the collar and shoulders.

This is definitely how I would start.  It looks to me like the garter stitch on the top is "sideways."  (the ridges run vertical instead of horizontal). I don't think you could get the same effect with a top down.  However, if you are mostly interested in the shape, a top down knock-off would be really easy - just follow a basic pattern (like in the beg. raglan KAL) to the bust, then start increasing dramatically to get the flowy body.  If you want to add some visual interest, you could knit the top in lace or seed stitch or something.

If you go this route, I recommend you check out Stephanie Japel's fitted knits.  Almost all the sweaters in that book are top down and she walks you through how to alter them for size, gauge, etc.  You could probably also pick up some neckline shapes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my etsy
my knitting blog
my ravelry
Any B or C liners in the Boston area up for a knitting circle?  PM me.
chocoholique

obsessed with knitting.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007 12:49:08 PM »

I was thinking about the Anthropologie sweater again today.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=96442.0

Found this thread here on craftster with directions for a scoop neck empire sweater.  I think I might try this once I finish my current project(s) but I will of course do it all in ecru yarn (maybe some nice wool by Rowan) and do the bodice in garter stitch.

Hope this helps you!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007 12:53:21 PM by chocoholique » THIS ROCKS   Logged

my newly minted knitting blog:
http://knitsbyshannon.wordpress.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use 4 Point Tracking - Motion 3
How to Create Basic Replicators - Motion 3
How to Understand Text Behavior - Motion 3
How to Create a Sin City Effect - Apple Color
How to Use the Warper - Shake 4
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Creamy Pasta with Peas
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...