A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,105
Currently Running With Scissors:
595 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Buying pizza dough from a pizza place?  (Read 3093 times)
Tags for this thread: bread  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MDodson
« on: July 18, 2007 12:57:21 PM »

I watch Food Network a lot, and a lot of the people say they buy premade dough from a pizza place.. and I wonder which pizza places will actually let you buy it from them? All? Most? And does it usually cost a lot or does that depend on how much you get? Sorry for all the questions I just would love to buy premade pizza dough that I know actually tastes good and I won't screw up.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007 05:40:39 PM »

Every place is different-- you have to ask around about whether you can buy the dough, and how much it costs.  Chains like Pizza Hut probably won't sell it to you, but do you really want their crappy frozen dough anyway?  Nuh-uh girlfriend.  Go to a little locally-owned place and ask to talk to the cook.

Do you have Publix grocery stores in your area?  They sell fresh dough (made every morning) if you ask at the bakery counter.  It's good for pizza or for making your own bread/rolls.  Now they even have multi-grain in addition to white!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
chattyKathi
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007 07:13:11 PM »

I agree you want to go to a local shop, but you can just ask at the counter if they sell just fresh/frozen dough. Alot of the places around here actually sell other baked goods and sauce and stuff so they have coolers with that sort of stuff in it, sauce and dough etc. and as for screwing it up?? so easy, let me give you a tip, when spreading dough on a pan make sure you grease your pan with Crisco (vegetable shortening) for some reason it doesn't slip when your pressing it out. also let it warm up a little, to spread easier that way. Start by flattening it out as much as you can in your hands first in the shape of your pan, then put it on the middle and work the dough by pressing it out from the middle. Does that make sense?? I cannot stretchtoss it like they do though! but that way works pretty good. Good luck and I hope I didn't give you TMI! Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love laugh create!
MDodson
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007 08:51:21 AM »

Thanks. Smiley
I've been thinking about where I could get some at a local non-chain place, but I don't really think we have one. The closet would be 30 minutes away in a different city, that I know of that would probably give me some. I hate living in a somewhat small town. Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marmish

Quincy the Pug

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007 09:04:14 AM »

Seriously, pizza dough is so easy to make you can't really screw it up.  There are only two things not to do:  kill the yeast, and let it rise uncovered (it'll get hard and crusty on the outside).

THIS ROCKS   Logged

keeperrox
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007 10:59:07 AM »

Do you have a bread machine?  I have a pizza dough recipe that's a no brainer if you'd like it. Before I got my Kitchen Aid, that's how I made my pizza dough.  Granted, it's not as good as dough made in the mixer, but it's definitely better than anything you can buy at the grocery store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katey1234
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007 07:43:13 PM »

I know I know, walmart sucks and you probably don't want to shop there...

but my mom makes pizza every saturday night, homemade, and uses the premade dough from walmart. It comes out so well, she bakes the crust first for like 5 mins (don't really know, just to warm it up I guess) then adds sause cheese and everything else and bakes it till it looks good and cooked.

Just an idea, hope it helps you on your premade crust expedition!

awaiting tomorrow's pizza <3,
      -procrastiKATE
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Avian Flight
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007 11:12:05 PM »

Yes, most local pizza shops will sell it to you. I've bought a few at a place near me and it was around $2.50 for one. I made the mistake of refrigerating it. It's much easier to work with at room temp.

It's pretty easy to make pizza dough from scratch. The only thing I don't like is waiting for the dough to rise and everything. I LOVE making personal pizzas with a non-yeast recipe. In fact, I just made one two days ago with random toppings and a 4 cheese blend instead of mozzarella.

Here's the recipe:
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup milk
2 tbsp oil (I used olive)
Mix everything together. Knead in bowl ten times. Press or roll out on lightly floured surface. Place onto baking sheet. Brush with oil (optional). Bake with toppings for 425 degree F for 20-25 minutes.

This makes one personal pan pizza. The only thing is that it's a thin crust. You could probably make a small to medium sized pizza if you double the recipe. Instant gratification!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
mindysan
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007 11:16:20 AM »

I used to work at a mellow mushroom (sort of a southern Pizza chain, though I know there used to be one in Michigan and one in Colorado- now the furtherest out is probably the Asheville North Carolina store- I'm not sure where you live).  We used to sell dough all the time.  For the past couple of weeks, I've been picking up frozen dough balls (made at the store, I think) at Whole Foods, when I stumbled upon it while looking at pie crust.  If you don't have a Whole Foods, some just said that Publix sells dough balls, too. 

I know that Alton Brown has a recipe for pizza dough in one of his books, I"m just here for More Food:

http://www.amazon.com/Im-Just-Here-More-Food/dp/1584793414

It's hard to go wrong with Alton Brown.  He will generally steer you in the right direction food wise.  And he's adorable to boot!

I wonder if you can order pizza dough online?  I know you can get sourdough starter online including one that is like 100 years old, or something insane like that, but I can't ifnd it, but here is a list of sourdough cultures I did find:

http://www.sourdo.com/culture.htm

I bet if you did a search you'd find some online Pizza dough, too. 

Mindysan
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want a good life With a nose for things
A fresh wind and bright sky To enjoy my suffering
A hole without a key If I break my tongue
Speaking of tomorrow How will it ever come?
                                            -Wilco "Ashes of American Flags"
Lava means love.
I'm listening!

It could be worse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007 11:36:40 AM »

I also make my own pizza dough.  I found an ultra easy recipe on Allrecipes.com, at:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pizza-Dough-III/Detail.aspx

It requires bread dough, although you can use regular white flour in an emergency (but the crust wont be as chewy as a restaurant quality pizza).  It only has to rest for thirty minutes, and it's gooooood!  And cheap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose Brushes for Fabric Painting
How to Choose a Cross Stitch Craft Kit
How to Choose Quilt Fabrics
How to Crochet a Hat
How to Count Crochet Stitches
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...