A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
417 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Big Bag of Vintage Yarn  (Read 1083 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Deirdre
« on: July 18, 2007 09:59:50 AM »

Well, I am feeling quite lucky right now. 

A friend gave me a huge (like 20 -30 lbs) bag filled with yarn that a friend gave to her.

I sorted it out today and am stunned at what I've found.

Most of the yarn is French or Italian wool , but there are hanks of Japanese silk, Swiss silk, English tweed wool, and handpainted wool, a couple of loaves (?) of roving, and gallons of sock weight silk and wool.  There's a spool of what appears to be chinchilla fur yarn and other spools of leather and suede yarn.

Some of the yarn is sun damaged but most of it is in fine condition.  I tugged on some strands and they don't appear to be rotten.

It all smells like basement, however.  Not overpowering, but certainly like it's been stored for a while in a large black garbage bag.

Question: how do I clean it up?  Do I wash it?  I'm afraid of shrinking the wool.

And how to I turn the roving into yarn?  Mail it to someone?

I will post pics tonight when I get home from work.

Thanks for your advice.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007 10:04:47 AM »

I have no idea has to how to treat it, but there are a lot of talented spinners on here. You could try posting in that section.

You're so lucky!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
clicksticks
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007 10:05:15 AM »

I would give the yarn a good long soak in lukewarm water with some gentle soap (baby shampoo is good), or Eucalan.  Then let it dry somewhere where it will get plenty of air.  You may need to soak it more than once.

I have also washed really dirty/smelly wool in very hot water, which you might want to try if there is persistent dirt or smell (I do this if I get coned yarn that still has the spinning oils on it). The trick there is to be really careful not to agitate the the wool much at all so it doesn't felt.  Basically I just put it in the sink with the tap on as hot as it will go, add a little soap, push it down once or twice to make sure it's all wet, and leave it until the water is cooled down.  Repeat if needed--if the yarn is very smelly, you may need to wash more than once.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Studio Marlowe  Knitting patterns, etc.
OneSheepHill
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007 10:09:07 AM »

I agree with clicksticks about the washing. Eucalan is great stuff. It will not only clean up the wool, but it's great for vintage stuff because it puts a little bit of lanolin back in the wool.

You should definitely post in the spinning section to find someone who will spin that up for you. Or find your local spinning/weaving ship and take a class on spinning! :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Deirdre
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007 11:39:51 AM »

Thank you so much, guys.  I really appreciate the advice.

Crafsters rock!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Deirdre
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007 04:51:37 PM »

Here's the loot:

It's a lot.

Here are some upclose shots, just because it's so beautiful. 

Japanese wool/silk blend

Italian wool -- the pic is a little washed out; the color is a darker green.  You can see the actual color in the first photo, center.

French wool:  again a bit washed out, it's more black.  I think my camera is adjusting for the black background. Dang.  This wool is so beautiful.  You can see the actual color in the first photo, front center.

The roving -- so beautiful.  Amazing.

You get a better pic of the Italian wool in this picture; its true color.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007 04:54:03 PM by Deirdre » THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007 04:55:54 PM »

What's that over there?

*WIPs runs over and steals all the yarn*

Cheesy

I'm soooooo jealous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Beeclef

The crafter formerly known as Bongirl5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007 05:04:39 PM »

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this so far, but that's not roving.  If you carefully peel it apart, it's very thinly spun mohair, it looks like.  You are SO lucky, and I'm dying with jealousy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wonderfully Awkward - my blog http://www.bclef.com
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007 05:10:42 PM »

I agree that what's pictured looks like mohair, but if there really is roving in there somewhere, I'll turn it into yarn for you... but I'm still learning, so it would be thick singles, not complicated sock weight navajo plied fancy stuff. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tajhia
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007 05:13:30 PM »

I think it is mohair or similar too.....  but it is still beautiful whatever it is, as is all the yarn!

you are so lucky - why does no one give me decent yarn?  the one and only time I was given a big bag full it was all crappy acrylic that she had no use for......  mind you my girls had great fun with it using a knitting loom!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Garlic Toast
How to Make Macque Choux
How to Make Southern Fried Chicken Legs Part 1/2
How to Make Southern Fried Chicken Legs Part 2/2
How to Make Potato Chips Part 1/2
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...