A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,152
Currently Running With Scissors:
587 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tools: rotary cutters and mats  (Read 753 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Caecilia42
« on: July 18, 2007 06:44:04 AM »

I have an Olfa rotary and mat. I've only had it for a couple months, have used it to cut fabric for a wall-hanging sized quilt. Already, it seems dull, and I'm having to press hard and go over the fabric again and again, which is scarring up the mat. Am I doing something wrong?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ZumaGirl74
Rebel at home & abroad.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007 10:03:13 AM »

You're not really doing anything wrong, you just need to change the blade.  I have an Olaf cutter & board too and it seems like it goes dull pretty quickly.  Invest in a 5 pack of blades ($20-$30!!!) so you can replace it often.  I also turned my cutting board to the side where it's not quite as marked up.  That helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patrick_Craftrick
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007 04:18:51 PM »

Also, when doing rotary cutting, let the cutter do all the work, don't press down so much as zip forward.  That should keep the blade sharper longer.  The more pressure you put down on the cutter, the faster it will dull.

ZumaGirl74 is right though, you will have to replace the blades eventually.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ware the Sock-A-Zins!

http://potatocraft.etsy.com
SweetMemoriesQuilts
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007 06:54:27 PM »

I've also found that if you get "fluff" in between the blade and the cutter that it will not cut well. Just remove the blade, clean off the fluff, then replace the blade and try again. If it still doesn't work well, then you will definitely need to change the blade.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Caecilia42
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007 09:58:47 AM »

Thanks guys! I bought a new five-pack of blades, so if the cleaning doesn't work, I'll switch it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Caecilia42
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007 08:17:07 PM »

ARGH! First of all, I kinda sorta warped my mat (thought if I put a towel down, it wouldn't be affected by my ironing... probably shouldn't be doing all my crafting at the end of a long day at work).

Second, I took apart my cutter, cleaned it, realized I wasn't paying attention to how I took it apart, searched fruitlessly for info online, yadda, yadda, yadda. Now I have the new blade in, and I followed the assembly picture on the package, but my nice new sharp blade wobbles and jingles. It's really hard to get it to go straight. I've tightened it as much as I can, even used pliers. Should I have my boyfriend try to tighten it or bring it back to the place I bought it to see if they can figure out where I went wrong? I'm really frustrated, and it doesn't help that I spent all night tonight screwing up a zipper insertion (my second ever, and first in over a decade, but I had photo instructions, what's wrong with me?!?).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007 10:58:07 PM »

first, buy a new mat, or flip this one over and try ironing on top of a towel to flatten it again, not the best way, but it MAY work to make it a little better for now

second, one of the pieces in your cutter is out of place, so disassemble and reassemble till is dont jiggle no mo...lol you may want to try to OLfa website

and thirdly...dont ever listen to the package directions for zippers! they are the worst! there are alot of great tutorials on this website tho! search here and you should be able to get alot of great advice and wonderful step by step instructions for almost any kind of project you need help with....everyone has their own way of doing it, but alot of it has come from trial and error and lots and lots of practice
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Put a Modern, Sexy Twist on Your Gray Hair
How to Properly Grow Out Your Grey Hair
Expert Tips for Coloring Your Hair at Home
A Cancer Survivor Gets an Emotional Makeover
Copper Smokey Eye Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...