A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 300,924
Currently Running With Scissors:
434 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anti depressant and Drug Symbollism Art piece  (Read 4925 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tofucheesecake
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2004 11:28:19 AM »

Wow, it's sooooo incredibly hard to get counseling services in my area.  Everyone is booked solid and it takes like six months to get an appointment.  That is absolutely ridiculous...by that time, someone with a serious problem could have committed suicide or done something else drastic  Embarrassed

Just another reason why so many people in the US think Canada is awesome Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

exousia
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2004 11:47:42 AM »

Wow, it's sooooo incredibly hard to get counseling services in my area.  Everyone is booked solid and it takes like six months to get an appointment.  That is absolutely ridiculous...by that time, someone with a serious problem could have committed suicide or done something else drastic  Embarrassed

Just another reason why so many people in the US think Canada is awesome Cheesy

That is pretty terrible : \
I honestly don't think the help is easy, or attainable in my area.   Sometimes its just impossible to get help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 exousia
owner of exousia jewelry and crafts

shop my jewerly at http://www.exousia.etsy.com
recyclednew
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2004 12:35:07 PM »

That is so awsome! I think it would be cool it you made pills of all differant colors, to show the massive variety of medications available! It would be cool if you had a message on the pills or inside them (if you where planning on giving them out at a gallery opening or something). That might be a bit much, but I thought I'd throw it out there! I did a safe sex piece in college (which ended up getting broken) but in the student gallery I had information attached to forms of birth control that people where free to take...so even if you made up a little pamphlet of info that people could take (again that's only it your exhibiting it in a gallery)...just some thoughts! It's a really great work of art, as well as statement! I have been chronicly ill all my life, and doctors keep saying my problems are ideopatic (another words, they don't feel like actually figuring out whats wrong with me because it's easier to pull out the prescription pad!) And I'm always asking them how they can write me a prescription when they don't even know the sorce of illness! Well, they're just trying to treat symptoms! The problem is just about every drug they've given me (experimental, to see if it helps) only causes more pain, nausia, and a whole list of other problems! I said to my doctors," just give me a lethal injection and end my suffering! If I where a cat or a dog I would have been put down by now! Don't torcher and humiliate me with all these drugs and tests that have done nothing but add to my misery for all these years! At a minimum, you could just give me some pain killers and send me home to die, because if you where honest and you really gave a damn about your patient, you would tell me up front that there is nothing you can do for me but give me pain medication and send me home to die!" But they don't want to give me pain medication because it's addictive, yet, they give me medications that only cause more pain and suffering! So I refuse to be a lab rat for the medical field! I found something all natural that helps ease the pain a bit, and that's all I'm going to consume! Herbs...natures medacine!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

art is a drug in which i cannot live without!
exousia
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2004 02:20:04 PM »

That is so awsome! I think it would be cool it you made pills of all differant colors, to show the massive variety of medications available! It would be cool if you had a message on the pills or inside them (if you where planning on giving them out at a gallery opening or something). That might be a bit much, but I thought I'd throw it out there! I did a safe sex piece in college (which ended up getting broken) but in the student gallery I had information attached to forms of birth control that people where free to take...so even if you made up a little pamphlet of info that people could take (again that's only it your exhibiting it in a gallery)...just some thoughts! It's a really great work of art, as well as statement! I have been chronicly ill all my life, and doctors keep saying my problems are ideopatic (another words, they don't feel like actually figuring out whats wrong with me because it's easier to pull out the prescription pad!) And I'm always asking them how they can write me a prescription when they don't even know the sorce of illness! Well, they're just trying to treat symptoms! The problem is just about every drug they've given me (experimental, to see if it helps) only causes more pain, nausia, and a whole list of other problems! I said to my doctors," just give me a lethal injection and end my suffering! If I where a cat or a dog I would have been put down by now! Don't torcher and humiliate me with all these drugs and tests that have done nothing but add to my misery for all these years! At a minimum, you could just give me some pain killers and send me home to die, because if you where honest and you really gave a damn about your patient, you would tell me up front that there is nothing you can do for me but give me pain medication and send me home to die!" But they don't want to give me pain medication because it's addictive, yet, they give me medications that only cause more pain and suffering! So I refuse to be a lab rat for the medical field! I found something all natural that helps ease the pain a bit, and that's all I'm going to consume! Herbs...natures medacine!  Wink

Maybe what you need has nothing to do with medicine. Perhaps it involves some soul searching, some goal setting and some righting of things that aren't going well in your life?  I found that the things affecting me in my life are quite often very mental things. And when I'm thrown off in one area of life it immediately throws of my physical health and my emotional health. 

I'm no doctor. But perhaps try righting the feelings you have in your life, and searching for that truely happy place is better than medicine.  Besides, think of all the time you wait for doctors to make their decisions. By the time you've waited and paid for them, you probably could have found a way to become happy with your situation.

This doens't solve everything of course.  And many medical conditions should be treated and cared for by professionals.  I'm just saying, maybe we should include some alternatives in our lives. And make sure everything is right with ourselves, before resorting to the opinions of others.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 exousia
owner of exousia jewelry and crafts

shop my jewerly at http://www.exousia.etsy.com
recyclednew
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2004 09:36:45 AM »

Well, first of all, I have tried all the above! Meditation, yoga, vegitarianism, therapy, chakra balancing, shamanism, wicca, buddhism...you name it! The thing is I'm like 99.9% posative that I have an autoimmune disorder, and they keep insisting that I have IBS, which, after trying treatments for 3 years, all of which cause more problems, I keep saying to the current doctors that the previous ones I had seen have already tried all this and it doesn't work! It's like they don't want to listen to me or accept that they can't just lable me with some catch all illness and send me on my marry way! I've read extensive amounts of information on illnesses and deseases, and compaired all my symptoms, etc...I have narrowed it down to 3 possible illnesses, and they won't test me for any of them! I have medical insurance that will cover the cost 100%, and once they determine what I have, they can treat it more effectively! None of the illnesses are cureable, but there are treatments that help reduce pain and nausia. Although I present them with all these facts and information, they continue to insist on treating me for IBS, even though most of my symptoms can not in any way be associated with IBS, and none of the treatments are effective and all of them create more symptoms! Every medication they've given me has causes more abdominal pain, nasia, and diareah, lightheadedness, and I've just plain refused to take anything anymore! I drink my herbal teas and meditate! The only medications I take are protonix for GERD, and I use my inhalers when I need to! Everything else just sits on the shelf in the medicine cabanet with notes as to which ones caused which problems, so I can throw it in thier faces when I'm lying on my death bed!  Undecided  But yeah, I've tried all the alternative medicine...and it does help state of mind, but there are times the pain is so bad that I litterally pray and beg to die because I can't cope with it! And the fact that the doctors won't even give me anything for pain really makes me mad because it's not like I would sit at home eating vicodin like it's candy! They've given me vicodin every time I've had a pancreatitis attack and I only took them when the pain became unbareable! And the prescription allowed me up to 6 a day, but most days I only took 1, but never more than 2! And I asked them for one prescription of 15 pills to sit in my medicine cabinet for when I get attacks of chronic abdominal pain, but they give me other medications that cause more pain and nausia! I don't understand it! They won't do the test that need to be done, they won't treat the pain, they won't listen to anything I tell them, and they wonder why I get an aditude with them and move on to another doctor! Is it because I'm a female and I speak my mind? Is it because I'm only 26? Is it because they just don't care? I don't know!  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gaiter_girl

Hullo, My name is Bear. Grrrrrrrrrr.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2005 01:29:38 PM »

Exousia,
 I LOVE LOVE LOVE your piece.  Although I agree that most of North America (possibly all Western nations) are over medicated and held that view as my personal philosophy on medical practices.  It caused a bit of a problem for me though, I had suffered from depression starting in my mid teen's and didn't think I needed meds.  I didn't think I was like my mom (who is DEFINITELY bipolar).  I tried lifestyle changes, counselling through my university, pretty much everything except medication.  Finally, I ended up in the psych ward of the local hospital.  So, I'm on anti-depressants now but my psychiatrist, therapist and I are working on weaning me off the meds now to see if I'm okay on a super low dose or just a mood stabilizer.  But in general, through my experience I met FAR too many people who were prescribed pills because they were going through a tough time in their lives (ie, broke up with their boyfriend).  People don't seem to understand that life does normally include those crappy periods...you just go through it and move on with life.

Amazing job though.  I also checked out your site...you have some great stuff!!!  (sorry, I'm not trying to be a stalker...was just wondering where in Canada you were from).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My my...aren't we a knotty little girl?
recyclednew
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2005 04:18:57 AM »

It caused a bit of a problem for me though, I had suffered from depression starting in my mid teen's and didn't think I needed meds.  I didn't think I was like my mom (who is DEFINITELY bipolar).  I tried lifestyle changes, counselling through my university, pretty much everything except medication.  Finally, I ended up in the psych ward of the local hospital.  So, I'm on anti-depressants now but my psychiatrist, therapist and I are working on weaning me off the meds now to see if I'm okay on a super low dose or just a mood stabilizer.... 
I suffer from bipolar and the antidepressants never seemed to help because the chemical imbalances are diffarent from just clinical depression. They would help for maybe a month or 2 and then I would go into deep depressions with no relief other than the manic episodes. (I have a lot of other health concerns as well so medications for just about anything, I think, only cause more harm/symptoms then they actually help!) But I had gone threw art therapy a couple of times, and I find ceramics very theraputic, but the art therapy really helps you to become more self-aware and it has helped me a great deal. Diet and meditation also help in stablizing your moods. I've been off meds (for bipolar) for over a year now, and my moods have been stablized pretty well. I get a little depressed every so often and sometimes I get a bit hyper, but it's pretty close to normal...probly as close as I can get!  Cheesy And art really helps me to focus my energies and not fall into a deep depression. This board has really been helping a lot too because I usually log on everyday to check messages and see new post, which is a really great motivation. I use to get so depressed I'd stay in bed for days without getting dressed, eatin or showering for days until somebody made me get up and take care of myself. Then randomly I'd get so manic I'd be dancing on furniture and howling at the moon, etc, etc. All the meds made me feel numb inside, like my soul was tranquilized and straped down! I truely believe that emotional and psychological problems can be treated without medications. "A Beautiful Mind" is a wonderful movie that really gives the viewers a prespective of what life with mental illness is like. And there is no cure, you just have to learn to live with it and get to the point in which you are in control. I always know a manic episode is coming on because I start shaking and I can'd sit or stand still...kind of like an anxiety attack but hyper.... and when I feel that sensation I either take a walk, write in my journal, or grab a sketch book or paper, a napkin, anything I can write on....some of my best poetry and sculpture came about during a manic episode! It's all about learning to focus the energy and choosing how you want to react apposed to allowing yourself to loose control.
Sorry my post are so long, I tend to get emotional and write a lot!  Undecided Especially when I'm angry at doctors (like in my previous post!)  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Merge Visible Layers in Photoshop CS3
How to Move a Selection in Paint.NET
How to Move a Title in Title Designer in Premiere CS3
How to Open an Image in Photoshop CS3
How to Paint With the Brush Tool in Flash CS3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...