A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,577
Currently Running With Scissors:
635 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anti depressant and Drug Symbollism Art piece  (Read 4744 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FunkyChicken44
Magical Me

I Believe In Yesterday...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2004 09:44:22 PM »

That is really awesome! I'm gonna send a link of this page to my mom... she's into psychology... as a profession and all... Thanks for sharring! You really do have a point! Too many people don't know what their problem is and drugs are easier to take than truth! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm 23, Married to my High School Sweetie, I draw, paint, write, craft, and take horrible photos of anything that will stand still. I am learning to crochet, and I am beginning to do ATC swaps. I love art, poetry, and music! Cheesy
stargirl52
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2004 08:09:15 PM »

I really like it. Really. it's stunning. Very stunning. Wow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want your lungs to stop working without me.

http://georgianess.livejournal.com
happify
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2004 09:26:35 PM »

Great work, Exousia!  I agree with ViolinRomance that a series of photos exploring this idea would be really neat.  But (uh-oh, soapbox tendencies coming on...) I disagree with some of the views expressed that anti-depressants are over-prescribed.  In my experience, many people who *need* them don't get them because they don't want to be considered "weak" or hypocondriacs, etc.  While it's important to make sure that people aren't taking drugs just to take them, it's also important to ensure that people who need drugs/counseling have access to them and don't have to face stigma and negative stereotypes.

That said, I think the piece is really neat and all works well together.  It'd be a neat installation with a row of these on a wall, with different colored pills inside, etc.  And I like the Red Cross in there -- subtle. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tchotchke
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2004 06:27:26 PM »

BP Disorder is one of the most over diagnosed disorders in the US at this time.

That would be because of the DSM, you only have to have a single manic episode, and you're considered manic depressive for the rest of your life. You could spend the rest of your life living depressed, but you'll always be considered bipolar.

On topic, one of my friends did something like this in her apartment, but she had a Mickey Mouse gumball machine (really creepy), and used a bunch of different pills. I don't remember what she made them out of. Your pills look a lot better than hers.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2004 06:29:41 PM by tchotchke » THIS ROCKS   Logged
tofucheesecake
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2004 08:35:37 PM »

Do you mind if I use that picture on my livejournal profile?  I will credit... Smiley  I just love that piece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teehee
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2004 01:35:30 AM »

I don't think anyone should be ashamed to take their perscribed meds and shudder to think what the world would be like if people suddenly stopped takig their Prozac or something. I've know so many people who were prescribed heavy meds with no counseling or anything. I'm sure there are times we could all use a "happy" pill, but does that mean we need one? We have to experience sorrow to know joy. If someone's life is totally depressing, maybe they need to try living a diff way first.

We're inundated with the medicine ads suggesting what ailments we really have. You don't have to be a hypochondriac (sp) to succumb to those messages. (That @#$%^% paxil dot for one.) I think we've occupied the drs and med mfr with  passing around these happy pills and they don't properly address those with legtimate problems or try remedies other than placating meds. 

I think some people legitimately need meds, but maybe conseling could help too. I really don't think there is much stigma with these meds anymore. I hear people talking openly about it all the time. There's even a special low dose version of Prozac marketed to woman with a PMS disorder. Prozac and the assorted ADD meds seem to be normal suburbia fodder like SUVs and manicured lawns. It's almost a status thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rocka_mary
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2004 11:59:57 AM »

great piece, way to make people think...what about all those parents putting their kids on all that crap. We have a whole new generation of zombie-medicated children... Ideas are now running around my head now...you could make one that's for kids too, with gumballs and ritalin...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
exousia
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2004 07:21:23 PM »

Do you mind if I use that picture on my livejournal profile?  I will credit... Smiley  I just love that piece.

I'd be flattered : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 exousia
owner of exousia jewelry and crafts

shop my jewerly at http://www.exousia.etsy.com
philodendron5
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2004 07:28:30 PM »

The sad thing is, that sometimes the only option for people is to take the meds. I'm looking to go into the field of mental health, (someday soon too, scarey!) and this is something we talk about all the time in my classes. It would be GREAT if people could go to counseling on a regular basis, it's good for everyone to have some time to talk--- even people without any "severe" problems. Unfortunately, insurance companies are not willing to pay for psycho therapy. So, if you have depression and need help overcoming it, the answer is medication.

on a side note... if your a college student MANY universities offer psychological services for free.... I think it's something everyone should take advantage of, it's probably the only time that you'll be able to get those services for under a triple digit an hour.

sorry to go so off topic.I really do like this piece and its message. A lot of people do just look for a pill to fix their every ailment, psychological or physical.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Meatwad: I'm satan's onion... or scallion, something like that.

Frylock: I think you mean minion.

Meatwad: oh yeah, that's right.
exousia
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2004 07:39:40 PM »

The sad thing is, that sometimes the only option for people is to take the meds. I'm looking to go into the field of mental health, (someday soon too, scarey!) and this is something we talk about all the time in my classes. It would be GREAT if people could go to counseling on a regular basis, it's good for everyone to have some time to talk--- even people without any "severe" problems. Unfortunately, insurance companies are not willing to pay for psycho therapy. So, if you have depression and need help overcoming it, the answer is medication.

on a side note... if your a college student MANY universities offer psychological services for free.... I think it's something everyone should take advantage of, it's probably the only time that you'll be able to get those services for under a triple digit an hour.

sorry to go so off topic.I really do like this piece and its message. A lot of people do just look for a pill to fix their every ailment, psychological or physical.

It really depends on the country you live in as well. In Caanda its a lot easier to get counselling services and psychological services too.  Yet people are still relying on doctors who prescribe pills for everything under the sun.  Why do 78 year olds need to take anti cholesterol pills for example?  We're a society obsessed with pharmacy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 exousia
owner of exousia jewelry and crafts

shop my jewerly at http://www.exousia.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
George Zimmerman Painting Sells For More Than $100K On EBay
Alec Monopoly Goes From Climbing Walls to Hosting Yacht Parties
Street Artists Madsteez And Rone Hit The Walls At Art Basel 2013
Art Basel 2013 Offers Lots Of Parties ...And Lots Of Art
Woman Creates Works of Art with Etch-a-Sketch
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...