A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,149
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anti depressant and Drug Symbollism Art piece  (Read 5061 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

exousia
« on: November 28, 2004 08:31:07 PM »

This is one of my works in progress. I made all of the pills inside.  This is to signify how humans are relying on drugs and medication to cure their woes, when I believe that many problems (NOT ALL PROBLEMS) can be solved with other methods.  I'm going to put more pills in it, and create a professional looking label that says "Happiness 1cent"

THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 exousia
owner of exousia jewelry and crafts

shop my jewerly at http://www.exousia.etsy.com
rainbowmeow
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004 08:32:30 PM »

Wow.  I like it.  It really says something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

exousia
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004 08:35:23 PM »

Wow.  I like it.  It really says something.

Thank you.  I have many friends who claim to be manic depressive.  Sometimes I think they just need a little soul searching, and some good love.  I understand that not all people can be cure this way.  But in this day and age, it is truely disturbing how anyone can walk into a doctors office with a frown on their face, and instantly receive a prescription for drugs.

And I know not everyone will agree with my view *bites tongue*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 exousia

zephren
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2004 08:50:12 PM »

Have you ever listened to the Verve? I love the Northren Sould album artwork, very simmilar. Here's some lyrics from the song Lifes an Ocean
from their album Nothern Soul:
Imagine the future
Woke up with a scream
I was buying some feelings
From a vending machine

However, you know its really ironc how much money antidepressants/antipsychotics cost. more like $100 instead of 1cent.
And most peeps who are diagnosed as bipolar really have either major depressive disorder, or were going through a stage of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder or some other sort of temporay psychosis. BP Disorder is one of the most over diagnosed disorders in the US at this time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
exousia
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004 08:55:28 PM »

Have you ever listened to the Verve? I love the Northren Sould album artwork, very simmilar. Here's some lyrics from the song Lifes an Ocean
from their album Nothern Soul:
Imagine the future
Woke up with a scream
I was buying some feelings
From a vending machine

However, you know its really ironc how much money antidepressants/antipsychotics cost. more like $100 instead of 1cent.
And most peeps who are diagnosed as bipolar really have either major depressive disorder, or were going through a stage of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder or some other sort of temporay psychosis. BP Disorder is one of the most over diagnosed disorders in the US at this time.

Well, Where I live in Canada, quite often the government takes care of our medical bills. And most jobs pay a percentage of our prescriptions.  The reason I put it as 1cent and not 100.00 is to display how easy they are for people to obtain, even if they really may not need them.  This art piece may not have anything to do with BP, or post traumatic stress disorder. I'm just saying that people are turning to drugs solely for all of their problems when quite often I think there are other methods that could be used.

For example, my grandmother is a hypochondriac who tends to abuse the health care system.  This is really an encompassing piece because the pills aren't labelled. Without any formal explanation they could stand for any drugs, really.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 exousia

Idigmusic

Did I hear a niner in there?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2004 08:58:18 PM »

wow. That is so right on. Nice piece, it totally speaks to me coming from many "depressed" people in my life!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When the only tool you have is a hammer,
everything looks like a nail"
ViolinRomance

oh you're so naive

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2004 09:22:03 PM »

I love symbolism. This piece is so great. How did you make the pills?
I am really impressed and I totally get what you are trying to say, not only through your explainations, but the piece itself. I'm sure you're very proud of this piece, and so you should be! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ViolinRomance

oh you're so naive

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2004 09:25:18 PM »

sorry to post twice in a row but I just had a thought; if you're into photography you could create a whole collection of pictures that are related to or the actual piece. Black and white pics are usually very effective, shots like close ups of the pills and funky angles... dunno.. just rambling Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zephren
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2004 09:33:56 PM »

No, I totally got the concept of the piece, thats why i posted those verve lyrics. I love their album artwork cuz its got richard Ashcroft standing in front of a Coke vending machine, but its got bottled emotions in it instead. Totally as a society we frequently turn to happy pills to solve all lifes problems. Me included, lord I dont know where Id be if it werent for xanax. Sweet xanax got me through college! I mean legally of course.... I mean as stress' little helper of course.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
exousia
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2004 09:42:42 PM »

I love symbolism. This piece is so great. How did you make the pills?
I am really impressed and I totally get what you are trying to say, not only through your explainations, but the piece itself. I'm sure you're very proud of this piece, and so you should be! Smiley

No prob.  The pills were made with poly clay.  I just rolled a piece of clay into a pill shape, chopped it in half and connected one of each color together. Then you bake em and they are solid.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 exousia

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Chicken Pot Pie Part 2
How to make Apple Dumpling
How to make a Shrimp and Scallop Country Casserole
How to make Hickory Smoked Chicken
How to make Crab Cakes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...