A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
431 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Aviator Hat Help  (Read 440 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

red_phooka
Geek

I <3 Zombies!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 17, 2007 06:26:36 PM »

Hello!
I am wanting to make an aviator-style knit hat, and the only pattern I can find has been http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/kpatt07.htm
Which is great and all, but I would like mine to be completely stockingnette stitch. I don't want the edges to roll so would like to do a row or two in rib or garter. My question is to anyone who is either really good at reading patterns (I am not!) or who has knit this hat before:
The pattern states that it is knit from side to side . . .how so?
Do I need to do a row or two of a different stitch pattern or does this slip stitch thingy keep those in check?
Is this basically just short rows? I have never worked short rows outside of a sock before.
I am nervous to start this, especially because I plan to make it in worsted weight and felt it after the fact. I'm really hoping this doesn't fail miserable  Wink
Thanks!
Syd
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Emily
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007 08:02:36 PM »

eek!  That's a lotta questions...I dunno but I can tell you that I attempted to make one of these with some cheap-o acrylic redheart and it turned out HUGE!  It's easier to do than explain, you get the hang of it pretty quick, I'd say just go for it, worst case you frog it...it's a pretty quick knit, you won't be wasting much time if it comes to that...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
red_phooka
Geek

I <3 Zombies!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007 08:31:27 PM »

Ah! Thanks Emily! Maybe I'll start it tonight Smiley I thought it was probably one of those things that you would just have to do and suddenly it would make sense. I'm excited to see what the end result will be (lol and a little scared!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hark
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007 10:00:10 PM »

That is a really cute pattern!

I think the "side to side" instruction is just warning you that it isn't knit in the round, and you'll eventually have to do this bit of seaming: Sew back seam from crown to edge.

The W&T does mean you'll be doing some short rows. There's a great tutorial about short rows somewhere on Knitty.com, so dig that up if you need help.

I'm not too sure how the slipped stitches will work, but I think you're right to guess that it will become clearer as you knit. It might be tricky to size it so that it felts down to fit your head, but I bet you'll do a great job! Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
april_cocaine
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007 06:17:33 AM »

This bonnet is a pretty similar shape to the headhuggers one, and it's all stocking stitch.
http://www.helloyarn.com/topdownbonnet.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whenfishfly
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007 06:05:59 AM »

The pattern states that it is knit from side to side . . .how so?

Is this basically just short rows? I have never worked short rows outside of a sock before.

I am nervous to start this, especially because I plan to make it in worsted weight and felt it after the fact. I'm really hoping this doesn't fail miserable  Wink
It's knit side to side, meaning you start at one ear, knit across the forehead to the other ear and then when you seam the back it looks like a hat.

Yeah, it's basically short rows, and you get the texture from knitting then purling.

If you are worried you should give the pattern a try. It's very easy and once you finish it (or even maybe finish half) you'll understand enough to be able to make changes.

I'm not sure about the edges rolling... but doing them in a different stitch would be easy enough. Especially after you've done the pattern. I've never tried felting, do edges roll even when something is felted?

I gotta say, I loved this pattern. When I made mine it took me one afternoon of knitting and less than 50 grams of some thin yarn I had laying around. If it weren't so hot out, I'd be wearing it now Smiley

Daphna
THIS ROCKS   Logged

there are two things that I don't believe in: coincidence and leprechauns
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
She Crab Soup Recipe
Bacon Explosion Recipe
Spiced Nuts
Macaroni and Cheese
How to Cook a Turkey
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...