A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,661
Currently Running With Scissors:
487 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Let them eat cake! The Marie Antoinette the Peasant Dress  (Read 2678 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Caine
« on: July 17, 2007 05:27:42 PM »

I am making a dozen or more of these this summer for my daughter's preschool  -- we craft all summer to fill up a "store" during a one day carnival at the school . It is all sewn as a group. We always sell out of our "princess dresses" -- I wasn't involved with princess dresses last year since I didn't sew last year.

I decided to design my own dress and wanted it to be different. When I was at Versailles way back I recalled being enchanted in that lovely teenage ironic way with Marie Antoinette peasant village. Anyhow, I thought of it again when I designed this dress.

Whatcha think? The dress looks pretty plain hanging on a hanger but when a little girl puts it on, seems to come alive!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009 06:20:14 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gestalta_Sara
Queen Two Shakes and a Shimmy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007 05:30:33 PM »

That looks really lovely!

Do you have any pictures of her standing up so we can see the full dress?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Caine
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007 05:34:44 PM »

Silly me -- i wasn't thinking about showing the dress here when I took it but she wanted a pic for her Dad. I can post a picture of the dress without anyone in it. Lemme check and see if I have one handy. dress is not yet hemmed, btw. I will try and get her to model it standing up tomorrow if she comes by the school.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2009 01:28:58 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitschbitch
Stitchin'

Music, crafts, and dogs...all good.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007 05:54:48 PM »

Cute!  The dress is pretty cool as well Smiley .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Caine
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007 06:51:09 PM »

Yeah, she is a great kid -- not mine but I'd be proud to have her! Thanks for the dress compliment as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gestalta_Sara
Queen Two Shakes and a Shimmy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007 07:04:38 PM »

that looks really sweet.  She is soo lucky to be able to fit in that.  I would wear it if I was a few feet shorter and like, way skinnier.  Very jealous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Caine
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007 07:18:35 PM »

you could make yourself one in, er "2 shakes and a shimmy!"  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheytown
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007 08:33:55 PM »

did i read that right? you just started sewing a year ago? wow! i'm impressed.  how awesome that you are sewing your own designs. the dress is fabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Caine
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007 09:29:23 PM »

BLUSH! Yeah, I started in January. I think it is vegbee who is referring always to avoiding patterns -- I bought a few but there is something about them that intimidates me. So I started by buying a machine and reading a book. Then I would bring my machine to the nursery school when the other parents were sewing but I was too shy to ask them to show me how to use it (and I had my tiny baby and my 3YO ... then in January I got someone to show me how to thread it. Then I copied my daughter's favorite skirt. Made a few stuffed chickens and then the numbers skirt.

But blah blah blah to that -- you gals inspired me. Lurking on craftster gave me hope!

I am so glad you like the dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheytown
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007 10:04:35 PM »

BLUSH! Yeah, I started in January.

i didn't read that right, then. you've only been sewing for 6 months??? get ready to blush some more, baby, because wow. double wow. super impressed. i bow down to you. (i'm ashamed to say how long i've been sewing and how painfully slow and sloppy i still am.) you rock! i look forward to seeing all your new creations. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Curly Updos for Long Hair for Prom
How to Create Prom Updo Hairstyles
How to Do a Messy Ponytail
How to Look Younger
How to Look Older
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...