A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
485 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Christmas Stockings with Lining & Machine Embroidered Names  (Read 2168 times)
Tags for this thread: christmas_stocking  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yardenxanthe
« on: November 28, 2004 03:07:51 PM »

Stockings a la Christmas

http://i.xanga.com/yardenxanthe/stockings1.jpg

Why does xanga compress my pics so much that it looks like I bought these at Walmart for a buck?  (Photo-edited to remove one name... right to privacy!)

I actually made these out of this cool wide corduroy and lined them with plaid.  I machine-embroidered the names on them in spring green thread.

They look kind of plain, which is annoying because I spent about an hour or two on them.  Oh well, they're cuter in person than they are in this photo.

I guess I need to iron them before they're officially put up for Christmas.

http://i.xanga.com/yardenxanthe/stockingheather.jpg

Here's a detail of the name... yes, I eyeballed it when I did it.  It looks better in person, also.

At least you can kind of see the corduroy in this picture.  I got it at JoAnn's fabric for $2.99 a yard (weekend sale, regularly priced $6.99/yard).  I love corduroy.

These are made similarly to a lined purse.  Basically, you make two stockings (one the outside, one the lining -- leave an unsewn area in the lining, about four inches long), and then you turn them with right sides facing, and sew around the top to connect them (sandwiching a loop between them).  Turn them inside out via the hole you left in the lining, then sew the hole closed.  Push the lining down inside the stocking, and there you go.

http://i.xanga.com/yardenxanthe/t/stockinglining.jpg

Here's the top of the stocking folded over so you can see the plaid lining.

ETA:  oops, I kind of posted this in the wrong place.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011 07:53:19 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

decibel
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004 12:44:27 PM »

You know, sometimes less is more. In this case I think that's totally true.

I've always been fascinated by this American/British (?) Christmas stocking tradition. Here in Sweden we don't do that at all. Ever since I, as a little girl, happened across the fenomenon watching a Disney Christmas special on TV I wanted one so badly, I couldn't stop begging for one. So maybe that's the reason why my parents put me up for adoption (heh)!  Wink Now I got a store-bought stocking, but it isn't half as cute as yours. Mine look kinda... um... tacky. Boring tacky that is.

You did a great job, it's very pretty! Nice choice colors, perfect material... Sweet and simple (not plain)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bagheraa

I'm not a llama! (I am a black leopard)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004 11:33:05 AM »

Those are so pretty! I love wide corduroy also! We have a few colors at work, but I don't think we have it in red. I just made some pillows for the couch in hunters' green wide corduroy.
I also love how you embroidered the names, did you do it with a machine or by hand? Did you use a pattern for the stocking shape?
I don't think they are too plain, the texture in the fabrics makes it more interesting.

-bagheraa-

Edit: I read the title and got the answer to one of my questions...  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bagheraa is on Ravelry Wink
yardenxanthe
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004 12:08:40 PM »

I embroidered with the machine -- set the stitch to wide-ish (a 3 on my machine... no idea if that means anything for anyone with a different machine!) and the stitch length to short (1/2 on my machine).  I didn't mark the names out before I embroidered them or anything, so I'm happy they just look decent & readable.  They aren't perfectly centered, though.

I didn't use a template for the stocking shape.  I just drew a stocking on the wrong side of the corduroy using a regular ball-point pen (making sure that the corduroy was going the direction I wanted it to -- up and down), and then cut it out.  I used the first stocking as a template for the second stocking and sewed them at the same time.  (Big secret -- if you're gonna make one of something, might as well make two -- it takes about the same amount of time!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Indoor or Party Scenes
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Fireworks Scenes
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Dusk or Dawn Scenes
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Copy Pictures
How to Optimize the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Beach or Snow Scenes
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...