A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 304,856
Currently Running With Scissors:
703 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mug and French Press Jacket  (Read 7566 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mk_carroll
« on: July 16, 2007 07:51:27 PM »

Mug & French Press Jacket

Size:  to fit a mug or French press with 3.5" diameter base; pattern can be adjusted to fit different sizes.
Materials:
Yarn: 1 skein Elann Peruvian Highland Wool (worsted weight 100% Peruvian wool, 109 yds/50g).  You may need more than one skein, depending on how high you want the sides to be.
Yarn subs: A smooth worsted weight yarn with good stitch definition and a little bounce; suggested subs include Cascade 220, Cascade Sierra, Plymouth Encore worsted, Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Worsted, Southwest Trading Co. Karaoke.
Needles: US 6 (or size to get gauge), 1 set dpns or two circs [dpns or 2 circs for base, 1 circ for sides (sides are worked flat but with built-in base, the flexibility of a circ is important)]
Gauge: 24 sts/32 rows = 4"/10cm
Notions: buttons (1 for mug, 2 for French press), tapestry needle

Basic concept:
Knit a circle from the center out large enough for base (80 sts).  Work sides for 1 or up to base of handle.  BO 2 or enough for width of handle.  Work in desired pattern (e.g. smocked cables) for about 3 or desired height.  BO all sts.  Make a loop closure and sew to one open side, sew button to opposite side (two for the French press)
Variations: replace smocked pattern with plain ribbing, replace smocked pattern with stranded colorwork and bands of ribbing or moss st at top and bottom

SMOCKING STITCH
(from Barbara G. Walker's A Treasury of Knitting Patterns)
Multiple of 8 sts + 2
Rows 1 and 3 (wrong side): k2, *p2, k2*
Row 2: p2, *k2, p2*
Row 4: p2, *insert right-hand needle from front between 6th and 7th sts on left-hand needle and draw through a loop; sl this loop onto left-hand needle and knit it together with the 1st st on left hand needle; k1, p2, k2, p2*
Rows 5 and 7: Repeat rows 1 and 3
Row 6: repeat row 2
Row 8: p2, k2, p2, *draw loop from between 6th and 7th sts as before and knit it together with 1st st, then k1, p2, k2, p2*, end k2, p2
Repeat rows 1 - 8

JACKET PATTERN
BASE
kfb = knit into front and back of stitch
inc 1 = increase one = for this pattern, I prefer k1 into row below
With dpns or 2 circs, CO 8 sts.
Round 1: *kfb* (16 sts)
Round 2: *k2, inc 1* (24 sts)
Round 3: *inc 1, k3* (32 sts)
Round 4: *k4, inc 1* (40 sts)
Round 5: *inc 1, k5* (48 sts)
Round 6: *k6, inc 1* (56 sts)
Round 7: *inc 1, k7* (64 sts)
Round 8: *k8, inc 1* (72 sts)
Round 9: *inc 1, k9* (80 sts)
Round 10: p all sts (80 sts)

SIDES
Round 1 - 7: *k2, p2* (80 sts)
In the next round, switch from dpns or 2 circs to 1 circ
Round 8:  BO 6 sts, sl1, p1, begin smocking pattern, end p2
Next 24 or so rows : work smocking pattern.  On RS rows, replace first two sts of smocking pattern with sl1(purlwise), p1, and end the row with p2.  On WS rows, replace first two sts of smocking pattern with  sl1(knitwise), k1, and end the row with k2.
Note: work last smocked row when sides are 1" shorter than desired, then work last 8 rows in 2x2 rib.  The mug used 2.5 repeats of the smocking pattern; the French press will probably use about 4.5 repeats.
BO all sts in pattern

LOOP: (for French press, make 2)
With dpns, CO 3 sts
Rows 1 - 28: work i-cord
BO

FINISHING
Exact placement and position of loop and button will vary depending on the design of the mug/French press.

Slip jacket onto mug or French press.  Pin ends of loop to one of the open sides and determine placement for button on opposite open side (French press will likely need two loops and buttons).   Slip jacket off and sew loop and button into place.  Weave in all ends.  To block, wash gently and then slip onto mug or French press to dry, turning mug or french press upside down.  If you are using a French press with metal components, you may wish to wrap it in a plastic bag or plastic wrap first to keep the metal dry.

Pattern is for personal use only, please!  First published on my personal blog under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.

CORRECTIONS made August 10, 2007, to instructions for sides beginning "Next 24 or so rows." 

CORRECTIONS made September 30, 2007 to instructions for base beginning Round 2 on.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007 10:42:05 AM by mk_carroll » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007 07:52:54 PM »

Wow, so nice!

This is an unrelated question, but what kind of french press do you have?  I'm shopping for one and could use some help  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
mk_carroll
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007 08:01:05 PM »

This is an unrelated question, but what kind of french press do you have?  I'm shopping for one and could use some help  Smiley
I think it's a Bodum - I bought it at a shop that specializes in discounted merchandise, like stuff that's been discontinued by the manufacturer, so I don't know you'd be able to find this particular model anywhere. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Strange Bird
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007 08:08:13 PM »

Oh my word, another project that makes me want to work on my (pitifully poor) knitting skills.  These are absolutely fabulous!

-Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007 08:08:18 PM »

Actually it looks exactly like a Bodum I saw at a discount store!  Weird coincidence.  Do you like it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
mk_carroll
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007 08:10:00 PM »

Actually it looks exactly like a Bodum I saw at a discount store!  Weird coincidence.  Do you like it?
It works fine.  The inside of the metal band has a bit of rust on it now, but that doesn't affect the Pyrex and I try to get it dry as quickly as possible after washing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Krisnotes
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007 08:13:43 PM »

ooh I really like this. I think I just may have to wip out my needles tonight. Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's a toothpaste on the wrong side of the toothbrush kind of day.
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007 08:13:56 PM »

That's beautiful! What a pretty stitch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
quiquesmom

I love this show

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007 08:30:43 PM »

That is so cute. It looks like something you'd find in an upscale cooking store. I must make one these.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sin esperanza
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007 08:49:13 PM »

beautiful work!  and thanks for sharing the pattern
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I hate handing over money for what I could just as easily do myself, it makes me nervous.  ~Sylvia Plath

My STS 33

Altered Fairy Tales Swap
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Color Coordinate Your Stamp Projects
Clean Your Stamps
Stamp Basics
How to Press Flowers
Designing a Pressed Flower Bookmark
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...