A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
687 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Spinning straight from the fleece?  (Read 514 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Nienke

My horse is pimp.

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2007 03:13:56 AM »

Hi ya,

I recently fixed up my parents spinning wheel, that was sitting decoratively in the corner, so I could start using it again. (My mum said I could have it, yay!)
A bag of fleece was also found in the attic. No idea how old it is, where it came from or how long it's been bagged up, but it is definitely unwashed wool, still greasy with bits of twig in it, and not combed or carded either.

Now, I have tried my hand at spinning before, resulting in something that needed improving, but looked enough like yarn to give me hope I could master this craft. But back then I used these nicely carded, even-length rolags and I really have a hard time now trying to learn to spin from this raw fleece with short and long bits of wool, tangles and such.

From what I've read it can be done, spinning yarn straight from the fleece. Sounds great, as I don't have anything like carders or combs, just the wheel. How do you do it though? Do I need to prep it first somehow, like predrafting? Or should I just use this stuff for stuffing and buy some nice roving to start practicing on?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: July 16, 2007 03:18:50 AM by Nienke » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gypsy03
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007 05:03:51 AM »

Hi
 spinning staight for the fleece is great if you have a good fleece  and I was just talking about that  in another thread  recently and is how I mostly spin but sounds like yours  might be a bit past it  if it is different lenghts and full of rubbish  trying to spin with an unsuitalbe fleece is a good way to get put off spinning.

If it's in good conditon put is some where warm  driving around in the car for a few days workes well then have a go at pulling out some of the longer staples  and spining them after flicking the ends can use a small dog brush if you don't have a flicker I find it eaier to work with only one or two staples at a time  if you have a lot of fleece you tend to get tangled up with it

Gypsy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gypsy
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007 08:48:38 AM »

It may be easiest to start with some cleaned, prepared fleece. I wouldn't throw out what you've got though! Just because it's dirty or needs carding doesn't mean it's bad, you just need to determine what kind of effort you're willing to put in. Since you just mentioned bits of twig, it sounds like it's not muddy, or poop-y and bits of twig would be easy enough to deal with. If you want to attempt it I second getting a dog brush to flick comb your locks out. It will be a lot more work than working with prepared rovings. If you'd rather start with something prepared, check out the sticky threads at the top of the board. There's a whole thread devoted to where to buy roving.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
Nienke

My horse is pimp.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007 10:41:49 AM »

Thanks Gypsy03 and TheBon!

I'll get myself a dog brush and see if flick combing helps. I don't think it's a great fleece, but it should be okay to practice with.
I'll also check out the sticky thread about buying roving though, for future reference if nothing else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

quatzical
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007 12:21:39 PM »

Spinning from the fleece is one of my new favorite things...I do wash the fleece unless there's not much grease...you could separate out locks that are longer, line 'em up and wash them (let me know if you need instructions for that...I know there are a bunch of good descriptions out there) or if using grease wool, you'll want to make sure it's warm enough that it's not too sticky. When dry, flick comb both ends and make a little pile of fluffy opened locks. Then you can spin from the fold, or (what I do) spin from the fluffed up end. You have to do a bunch of joins, but you can spin a nice worsted yarn this way. As your fluffed lock gets small, you can overlap the next fluffed lock with it.

I've been buying tons (well, pounds and pounds and pounds and pounds) of raw fleeces rather than roving lately because I'm trying to support small farmers...great, except that I hate fiber prep. I like this way because though it does take a while to open a bunch of locks, you have to do that anyways for carding and combing takes even longer so this is kind of a short cut to get to spinning. Plus if you have a short attention span like me, you can just open up some locks, then spin, then a few minutes opening more locks, more spinning etc...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Infiknitty: handspun yarn and glass knitting needles
http://www.infiknitty.batcave.net

Pepo Passion Blog: Squash and Art
http://www.quatzical.blogspot.com
Nienke

My horse is pimp.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007 02:31:23 PM »

That was really helpful, thanks so much!

I gave it a shot again this evening. Don't have a dog brush yet to flick comb it (you mean like this http://www.joyofhandspinning.com/flicker-carder.shtml right?) so I've just been opening the locks by hand to get any crap and felted bits out, and it seems to go a lot better, more smoothly anyway. Still overtwisting though, and I don't think I'm making the joins strong enough, 'cause they keep breaking.

I would really like to learn to spin straight from the fleece, because besides it being a good thing to support small farmers, it looks like I'll have easier access to raw fleeces than store-bought prepped roving. Maybe in future, if I get addicted to spinning enough, I'll get carders, but for now it looks like I'll be prepping as low-tech as possible.

One day I'll be spinning my own sock yarn...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gypsy03
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007 07:08:39 AM »

Hi Nienke  yes that the sort of brush you need 
glad you are making porgress love to see  when you have some done
  The fresher a fleece is usually the better it spins so if you can get some freshly shorn would be great Smiley

Gypsy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gypsy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Panang Curry Paste Options
How to Prepare Lemongrass
How to Add Flavor to Plain Rice
How to Make Rice Pilaf
How to Steam Rice
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...