A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,757
Currently Running With Scissors:
583 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: felted mouse ("Die Maus") **TUTORIAL ADDED** [img heavy]  (Read 3953 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LizzieMcGuire

loves knitting

View Profile WWW
« on: July 16, 2007 01:36:07 PM »

I'm not sure if you know "Die Maus" (meaning "the mouse"). It' s a very popular (a really lovely) german TV program for children.
I made this mouse for a friends birthday:

EDIT: And here is the tutorial.
The mouse is needle felted so you need:
orange and brown wool (suitable for needle felting)
a little bit of white and black wool
a black marker pen (don't know how you call them, just make sure it's waterproof)
a bit of black yarn for the whiskers and the tail
felting needle
bubble foil or something like that

I have no photos for the first steps, but they are not too complicated.

1. Take a strand of orange wool and make a knot.
2. Place layers of orange wool around the knot and fix the ends with a few stitches with the felting needle. Then stitch into the ball until the wool looks like its going to stay on the ball. Now you can roll it a bit between your hands and apply new layers and stitch again. Do this until the body is a little bit bigger than you want it to be. When you roll, be sure to roll harder in one direction to obtain the desired body shape (so that its not really a ball).
The more you stitch the more it felts, so don't stitch too much otherwise you won't be able to attach the other body parts. Just enough for the wool to keep the desired shape.

3. Now our mouse should get a neck: stitch a few times around were the neck should be. You can see it on this picture:

4. Now the nose: take small strand of wool make a knot and go on as you did for the body. But do not make a ball, its more like a cone. You get this if you roll in one direction pressing harder at one end. It's a bit difficult to get the wool into the right shape, but I managed it (it was my first needle felted piece) so you will be able to do that too  Wink.

5. If you have the nose, put it to the body and attach it with a lot of stitches right through the nose. Then your mouse should look like the orange thing in the picture above. Note that you can still see the wool layers, so the wool is not completly felted.

6. Now grab some brown wool. Take a strand and fold it. Now stitch carefully through the wool (don't hurt yourself, I know what I'm talking about...). When the wool stays folded, cover it with the next layer. Now try to felt it in the shape of the arms, applying more and more layers. Rolling in one direction helps. Felt it until the wool is very compact and felted, BUT: do not felt both ends of the arm, because you have to attach the arms to the body! When the arms are felted attach them to the body with a lot of stitches. While you do that stitch into the whole body to felt it a little bit more.
Hint: its good to make both arms at the same time, otherwise you might end up with two arms of different size (I did...)

5. Do the same for the legs, but make them a little bit thicker and flatter on the bottom (if you stitch into the bottom of the mouses foot it gets flatter).

6. Make the ears: the same procedure but make the ears flat. When you apply a new layer, wind it around the ears and attach it (stitch into front and back of ear and then into the small side). Again: felt it but leave one end unfelted to attach it to the head.

7. The rest is easy: take two small strands of white wool and felt them to small oval flat things. Attach them to the head by stitching until they are felted. Do the same for a smaller patch of black wool and the eyes are finished.
Now felt a small ball of black wool and attach it to the nose tip.
Felt the body until it is completly felted. This can take some time, just stitch patiently everywere in the body, without hurting yourself (one gets careless after stitching into that mouse for 5minutes...).
You might want to use a finer felting needle.

8. Now draw a mouth with the marker pen.

9. Last step: with a needle and the black yarn, make whiskers and tail.

If you have problems understanding any steps, please contact me. This is my first tutorial written in english, so please correct me if anything is wrong/not understandable.

Have fun!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007 06:53:44 AM by LizzieMcGuire » THIS ROCKS   Logged

fashionable
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007 01:40:14 PM »

So sweet!  i would love to see some step by step pics!  beautiful job! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nienke

My horse is pimp.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007 01:59:26 PM »

oh yes, I remember Die Maus from when I was a kid!
Step by step pictures (pattern?) would be very welcome Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Snowberrylime
Glued to the spinning wheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007 02:52:19 PM »

hahaha, yes of course I know her! Lovely felted mouse here... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jane Doe
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007 02:54:48 PM »

I've added your lovely tutorial to the following page
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=140465.msg1381906#msg1381906

Thanks for sharing  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007 01:05:04 AM by Jane Doe » THIS ROCKS   Logged

fashionable
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007 09:33:47 AM »

Thanks for the tutorial!  I have to try this!  So cute!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bat057
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007 06:51:17 AM »

Grin  Great tutorial - and your English was excellent - thanks.
I love the pictures of completed objects but it gives a better understanding of the work involved if there are step by step instructions!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paramecium
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007 04:40:04 PM »

ah, so cute.
but i liked the blue elephant better, i think i should felt him. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Are Kaiw Sprouts
What is a Kaffir Lime
What Is Galangal
What is Crpy Fried Onions Are
What Are Bragg or Tamari
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...