A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,620
Currently Running With Scissors:
686 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Getting Started on Etsy  (Read 1084 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bijou_raoul
« on: July 16, 2007 12:50:51 PM »

I've been thinking recently of starting to sell some things on Etsy. I started my first "real" job about 3 months ago and now that I have (a little) disposable income to spend on supplies, I would like to try & make a little extra money on the side. I'm not looking to make a year's salary by selling on Etsy (though it's a dream of mine to knit for a living, even if it's not realistic).

Anyway, I'm thinking of selling hats, mittens, scarves, small things like that because I can make them really fast and therefore would be able to make lots of them to sell on a regular basis. I probably won't do it for a couple more months when it starts to cool down a bit, though. So I have a couple questions:

Should I wait until I have a lot of things made and list them all at once, or should I just start listing them as they're finished?

Is there anything I could do to really make my product stand out? Like if someone saw a solid-colored wool hat with a lining online would they be willing to pay 10-15 bucks for it, or should I jazz it up a bit?

What's the best way to advertize once I have things listed?

Would people even buy my product, or is it not worth my time? What kinds of things should I be selling in addition to the ones I've already mentioned?

What if I offered up custom-orders? Is this something that's done on Etsy? I wouldn't do anything big, just a hat/mittens/scarf set at the very most, done to the customer's specifications. I think that might give me a little more inspiration than just randomly choosing ideas I have floating around in my head.

I'd really love any advice from people who already sell on Etsy and I'd like to hear what kind of success you've had with it. Really anything you can offer would be extremely helpful. Thanks! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TattooAnnie

Revolution begins with a book & an open mind!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007 01:21:02 PM »

Actually, I would set up a shop now to get used to the way Etsy works, and make sure everything's perfect by September, which is when I'm told the holiday shopping picks up. Also, you'll be able to get some feedback (through buying or selling). Another reason to get started early is the advice and contacts you can get on their forums, which has been really helpful to me. I've only been a seller for a month, but I feel really prepared now!

My strategy for listing items is to post enough that you have 2-3 pages in your shop, and then add 1 item per day to keep your shop from getting buried under other people's new listings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"GIR...why is there bacon in the soap?"
"I made it MYSELF!!!!"

www.TattooAnnie.ets y.com
KeelyB
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007 06:30:42 PM »

Wow...lots of stuff to cover here. Let me reply to what I can...

First of all, remember that Etsy is an international site. Right now Australia is in the throws of winter...Im sure there are plenty of potential buyers down there looking for something warm to wear! So I wouldnt wait to start listing stuff, even if its just a few items.

Also, dont list everything at once unless its to fill your shop up a little bit at the beginning. I try to list something new every day because that keeps you toward the top of the search categories.

This is an awesome site to get you going on anything else you might want to know that is Etsy related...

http://www.etsywiki.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Remeber to have fun too! Etsy is awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

italianchildhood

Ti canteremo noi cipressi i cori...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007 10:39:36 AM »

I think etsy is worth the try. There is little downside and it's not hard to set up. I also think you should start now rather than wait. At least with a few things, to figure out what people like.

I don't know about the custom items: people can be difficult, I'm afraid it may turn out to be a bigger hassle for you. That's my take on that one.

Best wishes with it all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://YouCraft.org ... free crafts classifieds
... with lots of cute things listed
veryvero
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007 11:25:26 AM »

Go ahead and set up your shop so you have it ready to go. 

I would encourage you research and investigate what is selling well on Etsy and try to find something that you think isn't being offered yet or a unique variation of what's already selling.  Look at prices and look at how much competition there is for the product you want to sell.  Don't make too many things until you investigate prices and what's selling.

What I would recommend is that you make 18 to 24 items at first.
Then list a new one item each day or every other day.  Don't list them all at once or your listing will get burried with all the other listings after just a few days.  After you list all of your items then start over listing your oldest item.  Etsy's listing fees are so low that if you list everyday your cost would only be approximately $6 per month. 

I hope this helps.  Also, if you really want to make a living from your craft, you should consider designing and selling patterns. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting business questions?  Free tax and accounting tips for crafters.
http://craftingbiz101.blogspot.com

My creative blog:  http://veryveroblog.blogspot.com

My website:  http://www.veryvero.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Open-Faced Pimiento Cheese BLTs
Jonathan Waxman: The Sartorialist For AOL On
Make Breakfast Rock With Homemade Pop Tarts!
How to Make a Meatloaf with Chili Sauce
Skillet Bacon Mac and Cheese Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...