A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,645
Currently Running With Scissors:
658 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fantasy of the Fairy, collage  (Read 2619 times)
Tags for this thread: altered , journal , collage , fairy , fantasy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 16, 2007 06:49:29 AM »

I made these for a swap on another site.  They are 8x8 inch pages that the recipient will add to her art journal.  Her theme was "fantasy", and this is what I came up with.

The central image on the left is from a greeting card, with collage, paint and rubber stamping all around.  The person who I'm sending it to is under 18, so I added the gold paper at the bottom to make it extra modest (the original picture wasn't risque, you can't see anything in detail, I just thought I should err on the side of caution in that respect, I wouldn't want anyone's parents to get mad at them OR me).  The central image on the right is collaged from various bits of scrapbook paper, music, magazine cutouts, a map and a rubber stamp image.  I continued the gold paper along the bottom to tie the two parts together.

I'm *very* proud of the central image on the right hand side -- here's a detailed shot of it:

I'm so happy with the way all the parts came together, especially that little picture of a star anise.

And here's a tag I made to go with the spread -- The backside has all my info on it and the title of the piece (Fantasy of the Fairy).

« Last Edit: July 16, 2007 06:56:18 AM by Katxena » THIS ROCKS   Logged
beforetherain
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007 07:59:48 AM »

I love it! It has a very "earthy" look to it as well as being fantasy. It's beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Queen Of Fools

Avast, me hearties, yo ho!

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007 08:17:13 AM »

Gorgeous!  I have been meaning to start working "bigger" and have done a couple of things, but this is just beautiful.  The recipient is a lucky girl!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007 12:42:50 PM by Queen Of Fools » THIS ROCKS   Logged

leeyone
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007 08:19:00 AM »

That is so beautiful! o_o
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My musings on fashion, life and art
http://whoiselyoo.wordpress.com/
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007 08:28:32 AM »

Thanks all!  These pages are all packaged for mailing, but I'm feeling sad to see them go.  Smiley

Gorgeous!  I have been meaning to start working "bigger" and have done a couple of things, but this is just beatiful.

It's really funny that you say that, because I cut the base cardstock for each page to 8x8, took one look at them, and freaked out.  All that blank space!  So I totally cheated by making the central elements of each page 4x6 and mounting them on a fairly simple collage background.  I just couldn't face making a whole 8x8 collage, twice!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Queen Of Fools

Avast, me hearties, yo ho!

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007 12:42:09 PM »

It's really funny that you say that, because I cut the base cardstock for each page to 8x8, took one look at them, and freaked out.  All that blank space!  So I totally cheated by making the central elements of each page 4x6 and mounting them on a fairly simple collage background.  I just couldn't face making a whole 8x8 collage, twice!  Smiley

I have that same problem!  I made a canvas for the 5 by 5 swap, but that's still pretty small and didn't seem so daunting.  Then I made some scrabble charms that were super-tiny.  Now I have this 8 by 10 shadowbox and I just keep staring at it wondering how on earth I'm going to finish it.  It's a personal project which might be a bit easier but I defintely have what I call "art fear".  I'll start something and then stop at some weird spot because I'm afraid of ruining it if I don't find exactly the right way to finish it.  This happens to me all the time.  Sometimes I even have to take "practice runs" just to get up the nerve to do something for real.  I might have to try the making something smaller to paste into something bigger idea just to get over it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spicecarrie
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007 07:18:18 PM »

Oooh, beautiful! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A Capitol Idea
<3<3<3

hey unloving, I will love you<3

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007 01:21:14 PM »

Wow. Amy Brown is one of my favorite artists ever. I LOVE it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

come join my disposable camera swap!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=185390.0
6/100 ATC Themes
Personal Swap Crazy! PM me!
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007 01:30:00 PM »

Wow. Amy Brown is one of my favorite artists ever. I LOVE it.

Oh! Is that who drew the fairy?  It was on a notecard I got from someone in the mail.  I'm really glad to know who did the original.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007 09:34:13 PM »

This happens to me all the time.  Sometimes I even have to take "practice runs" just to get up the nerve to do something for real.  I might have to try the making something smaller to paste into something bigger idea just to get over it.

I do that a lot with collages-right now I'm working on a 16x20 inch canvas. It's the biggest I've tried in years. All you ATCers have me thinking tiny now Tongue
BTW, love this piece Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Roast a Chicken
How to Make Chicken Sauce
How to Make Chicken Stock
How to Make Herb Butter
How to Make Chicken Brine
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...