A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
539 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 10x10 Dorm Room Ideas?!?  (Read 2240 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ariel1660

Live Life in Love

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2007 01:53:53 PM »

Please help me and my roomate!!! We are in a classical dorm room this fall at the University of Michigan. It comes complete with white concrete walls, and our beds are both lofted up. We need some major help with decorating ideas, please anything you have can help!! I know the main things for dorm rooms, posters, etc. but I want a really original room that shows our creative sides. Any ideas you can offer with be of great help. Thank you so much!!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007 02:07:30 PM »

Fabric is your friend!  Especially the $1-a yard stuff.  If you have your bed lofted up, you can hang some from it as curtains to make a little mini-room underneath, use it for times you want a little privacy (like when you're studying), or just as somewhere to store things you don't want out in the way all the time.  You can also hang fabric to cover parts of the walls... it will cut down on the empty white space.

Get some big cushions-- they're great for when you have friends over and nowhere for a movie and they need somewhere comfy to sit on the floor.  You can get some old ones from a garage sale or something and cover them with fabric so they look new! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
t0xicity
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007 05:23:45 PM »

I went through this last fall, except I was lucky enough to get an apartment-style dorm so I had my own bedroom, but it was like the size of a jail cell lol.  These are just a few things I did:
-I got a solid, reversable comforter with two sets of brightly colored striped sheets, so I could switch up my bedding every now and then and give me something else to look at since It's the biggest part of the bedroom. 
-My bed was lofted when I got there, but I chose to take the loft down and have my bed rest on a 3-drawer dresser and a bookcase, so I had a lot of storage space under my bed, and I used one of my extra flat sheets to drape over the side of my bed to hide my clutter.
-I bought some cute multi-colored polka dot scrapbook pages and some brightly colored printer paper, and I printed inspirational words in tons of different fonts on the different colors, and glued them to the scrapbook paper, and taped them up in one corner of my room...i hope that makes sense, I can get a pic if it doesn't.
-I got a few of those paper lanterns in colors that matched my bed and hung them over my bed.
-of course, I had TONS of pictures, but since I really didn't have the space to put frames, I used the rest of my bright paper and cut out background paper for some pictures and hung them around the room and on my closet doors.
-I hung things like movie and concert tickets and pictures on the hutch on my desk.

I can't think of anything else now, but I'm sure there are a few things I'm missing, hope I helped!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ariel1660

Live Life in Love

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007 08:14:00 PM »

Jillie- Thank you so much for your help!! The fabric idea will help out a lot, and the cushion idea will be very helpful I think!

T0xicity- The scrapbook paper idea is going to help me now... I have tons of pictures I want to hang up! I already have a paper lantern type thing.. lol that I'm going to have too I think!

Thank you both so much!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dizzylizzy

dreamers have become an endangered species

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007 08:19:33 PM »

The dorm I had my first year had exposed pipes, so I hung just about anything I could from them. Fabric, rope lighting, those hanging plant holders (I didn't actually keep plants, just pretty baskets to throw stuff in). And I got a lot of nice puzzles at Big Lots, put them together, slapped a few coats of puzzle saver on them then attached them all over the walls with poster tape. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

famousamos9787
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007 07:40:30 AM »

this website is amazing. especially if you are into DIY.

http://lowescreativeideas.com/oncampus/index.asp
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lifesanadventure.etsy.com
help a poor college student out!
lil_abi
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007 07:52:48 AM »

One year I had a 6x9 single all to myself...oh, the joys of claustrophobia!

I created a 9 foot long mural on butcher block paper (brown stuff on a roll) and it just covered the entire wall!  The best stuff for sticking to cinder blocks w/o destroying them is strapping tape.  It's the packaging tape with stripes in it...almost impossible to tear through, but perfect for cinder block walls.

Also, if you have a closet w/o boring curtains, pull 'em down and put up easy fun colorful ones.  You can even sew patch pockets into your new curtains and you'll have instant storage (shoe pockets, anyone?)

Other idea: clothesline.  You can rig clothesline and clip onto it cards, souvenirs, postcards, tchotchkes (knick-knacks), or just trip all the tall guys who wander in your room!

Contact paper is your friend...imagine a desktop that is no longer boring white melamine or crusty peeling laminate -- but whatever contact paper you can find!

Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
ariel1660

Live Life in Love

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007 10:32:48 AM »

Thank you everyone, you have amazing ideas, and now I can't wait to get started!

I have another question though, what would you use to hang up something like fabric? we can't damage anything so that means no nails etc.

Also lil-abi will contact paper leave any type of residue? I've always had gunk stuff come off if it's left anywhere for long periods of time!

Thanks again everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007 10:37:43 AM »

For fabric, you can use strips of double-sided tape in a pinch.  Staples work the best, but if you can't even make TINY holes in the wall, the tape should be OK
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
lil_abi
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007 10:38:48 AM »

Hmmm...contact paper shouldn't leave residue...but I won't swear on my unconceived first born child.

And as for attaching things...I will strongly suggest strapping tape.  It is super strong and won't damage cinder blocks, and you can use it for tons of attachments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to baby twins.  Frantic crafter while they nap!

My blog: http://SLiPsofthetongue.wordpress.com

DH's humorous and often offensive blog: http://mymasonicapron.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Sautéed Peaches with Chardonnay Vanilla Syrup
How to Make Lemon Pancakes
How to Make a Pot Luck Cheese Platter
How to Make a Cheese Plate Extraordinaire
How to Make Gourmet Turkey Gravy
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...