A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,509
Currently Running With Scissors:
525 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My First Completed Project!  (Read 1381 times)
Tags for this thread: coin_purse , pouch  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

massiekur
weasley is our king!

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2007 07:28:23 PM »

I got a 'learn to knit' kit at the bookstore a while back, and attempted to learn, but failed. Back when I learned how to crochet, I was CONVINCED crochet was soo hard, and that knitting would be easier, so I used a pair of chop-sticks and tried to learn how to knit, but I was very frusterated. So I learned how to crochet, and I have crocheted for about 6 months now. I absolutely loved SNB Crochet, and I was looking to make some more hip things, but she doesn't have another crochet book. Buutt...she DOES have some knit books! So I went ahead and bought some knitting supplies, after loosing the ones that came with the kit(but I still had the book), and started to knit. I am now pretty fast, and I can knit and purl very well(although when I purl, I hold the yarn and needles so weird, my mom swears i'll get carpultunnel syndrome(sp?))

That book that came with the kit was SO easy to learn from, and it has the instructions to knit a couple of really cute things! So I picked a coin purse, but got side-tract, and then tried a scarf, and then got un-inspired with that. I blamed my ADD-ness on the un-inspiring yarn, and ran to walmart, hoping to find some I loved. I landed upon this orange-yellow yarn that stole my heart. I absolutely love orange! So I decided to finish that coin-purse, but I made it a bit bigger, so I could be kept busy a bit longer.

So I started, knit about 1 hour the first day, and after a horrible 5 hour sleep of waking up due to nightmares, I decided to knit. It took my mind right away from the terrifying thoughs I was having! It's like therapy! lol.

So, enough with the blabering, here is my lined coin purse! Luckily, I had the purlfect(teehee) lining for the bag. Since you can't really see with the pictures, it is a white background with red and really light orange flowers, just gorgeous!

Here are the pics!

it really is yellow-orange! My camera decided to screw up the colors.

Flap open

That's $2 of quarters in there, and I tossed it around, and none came out!

Attempted stitch close-up

http://i15.tinypic.com/4md851j.jpg
Another stitch close-up. I was just knitting that row, but it came out looking wonky(<3 that word) Maybe I stretched it out or something?

Well. there it is! I like it! I have too short of an attention span to do a scarf, but maybe once my SNB Books come in, I will be way too inspired not to do one! Plus, the weather down here doesn't really call for a scarf..yesterday I think it was...104 degrees? lol.

Thanks for looking! Bless your soul if you read it all...lol
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011 09:48:13 AM by sarahj2001 - Reason: Changed broken image to a link » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do love knitting patters..." by Dumbledore Pg. 73 "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince"
ms.kender
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007 07:44:10 PM »

Yayy knitting!  It is therapeutic, there's nothing I love more than knitting after a long day. 

About the last picture with the wonky stitches (I also love the word wonky):
If all the stitches are knit, that's what it looks like, it's called garter stitch (sorry if you already know that and I'm insulting your intelligence.)  It's pretty much a crazy stockinette/reverse stockinette hybrid.

Keep up the good work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smile.
massiekur
weasley is our king!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007 08:15:55 PM »

yeah, thanks, I know it is garter, but it has like..spaces in between the garter, the V's. And I knitted, I didn't do ribbing or anything. Oh well! lol. I still <3 it.

Now I am so bored and have nothing to occupy my time. There is a pattern for a cell-phone sock in my book, but I dont need my cell phone on the outside of my purse..maybe I'll make one for my mom so she'll stop carrying it around in her Bra! lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do love knitting patters..." by Dumbledore Pg. 73 "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince"
sarahlilly
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007 09:45:31 PM »

Yeah, I read it all.  That was a fun read, actually.

That is such a cute coin purse.  I love the lining.  Great job.

I love the word 'wonky' too. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zeeblebee
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007 11:59:54 PM »

Thats a really neat first project, and the colour and lining match so well.

This isn't a criticism, but it almost looks like you may be twisting your stitches, perhaps when you purl. It might be worth going to www.knittinghelp.com and comparing them, just to check.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Quad Mom
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007 01:39:39 AM »

Congrats on your first knit project!  It looks great!  It looks like delightful, yummy sherbert.  Hurrah for developing new skills: keep up the good work!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quad Mom's Happy-Goodness Bloggie:
http://qmchronicles.blogspot.com/
lulubean
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007 06:17:50 AM »

Thats a really neat first project, and the colour and lining match so well.

This isn't a criticism, but it almost looks like you may be twisting your stitches, perhaps when you purl. It might be worth going to www.knittinghelp.com and comparing them, just to check.

I agree with zeeblebee except I think it's your knits your twisting which is why the garter looks wonky (a word that I lurv as well). Definately check out knittinghelp.com because she has great videos for all kinds of techniques. Maybe it will help you with your "strange" purling technique too Wink  Purling is a pain in the butt to learn and I assume you're doing it english style which is definitely hard to manage when first learning. I think you did a great job on this coin purse though!  Twisting stitches is also a design element so if anyone asks just tell them you did it on purpose Wink  The spaces between the stitches are just caused by uneven tension which will clear up with practice.  Hope I helped!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
massiekur
weasley is our king!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007 12:11:57 PM »

Thanks everyone. Normally when I knit, my garter stitch looks fine, but I don't know why it got screwed up...I'll check out that site.

I am actually a continental knitter. I tried to learn English style, but I am a crocheter and hold the yarn in my left hand, so It was easier to learn continental style.

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words, and thanks for reading! lol. I can't wait until my books come in, so I can have more to knit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zeeblebee
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007 01:55:28 AM »

I knit continental too, and when I switched from english to continental my purl stitch got lost somewhere in the translation.

Whether it is your knit or purl stitch that is a little twisted don't loose sight of the fact that you have a really cute bag. If it is the purl that is twisted, knittinghelp also has a video on a norwegian purl , which is another option.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
massiekur
weasley is our king!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007 08:56:30 PM »

thanks, zeeblebee. I couln't care less if the stitch is messed up. It is my first completed project, and I <3 it. Smiley

I am making a scarf now, and my stitches look fine. I think I just stretched it out too much, so it showed the string from the other side?

Thanks everyone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Citrus Painting Craft for Kids
How to Choose a Quilting Fabric
Walking and Talking With a Knife
How One Man Turned a Degree in Computer Science Into More Than a Desk Job
How to Design Strip Quilting Patterns
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...