A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,487
Currently Running With Scissors:
454 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Big Wall II [ lots of pics!]  (Read 4048 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

divasteph

The crafty diva is on the loose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2004 11:07:13 AM »

yeh there isnt one near me yet (its coming in 2005) but i travel about 10 hours to the one in VA for my fix ---
i am crazy for ikea!

they are under $10 a piece I think - shipping is an arm and leg though ....
so yeh its been added to my site!

http://www.violetdesigns.com/design.html

xoxo
good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artzyfartzy
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2004 12:39:43 PM »

i didn't use batting... i just  stretched the fabric over 3 layers of corrugated cardboard.  it was really easy... the only problem was I used a regular paper stapler instead of a staple gun.   I went through a lot of staples,  for some reason they didn't want to go into the cardboard. I really had to slam my hand down on the stapler and eventually I had enough staples go through the cardboard to hold the fabric in place.  

If you're worried about too many patterns... you could just use solid colors that match your decor.

yay, i do have a staple gun, its a cheapo one - but i bet it'll do the trick w/cardboard.

and yeah. im thinking solids. in different shades. . .? ohh how I wish i had some fabric to match in my craftroom! i have everything else in there [ tons and tons of fabric ] and none to match my crazy living room~

now im dying to hit the fabric stores! thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2004 02:15:22 PM »

those 3M Command hook things work really well to stick stuff to walls non pemently.  a little more expensive than double stick tape, but they come off nice and cleanly.  you don't have the buy the actual hooks; they sell refills with just the stick tabs.  the only problem is that you have to leave the little tabs sticking out, but you probably wouldn't notice it much at all against white and so far away.

just to give an example of why they're so great, I used a 2 lb capacity one to stick a plywood shape to a kind of rough painted plaster wall.  it's been up for about five months with no problems.  I'm sure I could've used a smaller tab, but I had the 2 lb one left over.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

veruca_petunia
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2004 05:00:23 PM »

artzyfartzy: i (blush) just used thumbtacks. i'm sure there are better ways! (i assume that you're talking about the big hangings, and not the little denim squares)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...sweet dreams 'till sunbeams find you...
AnnaMarie
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2004 06:31:08 AM »

another thing that might work with these ideas is foam board instead of cardboard.  I think that's what its called--its like 2 peices of white poster board with foam stuff in the middle--its used for student projects/displays.  It would be thicker and maybe easier to work with.  Also, it is very light so you could just use those 3M tab things to stick it to the wall.  Just an idea!!

BTW, I totally love your room!!  What did you use for those long "strips" that have photos on them?  I love that idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artzyfartzy
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2004 06:58:30 AM »

BTW, I totally love your room!!  What did you use for those long "strips" that have photos on them?  I love that idea!

AnnaMarie, foamboard would be a good idea. thanks!..

thanks for the compliments on the room.  The pictures are on a bamboo table runners I got at Pier1....they are just set in between the bamboo so I can easily remove and change them to my liking.

only takes 2 small nails for the bamboo cuz it's so light..and i was able to hang a whole load of pictures and not get my landlord in a tizzy!

Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flyhunnie7

too cool for the room

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2004 12:10:51 PM »

hhahah i've been reading this site like it's a religion nowadays and half the stuff in that room, i have seen in posts. it's kewl to see that it's all this cohesive decor, tho hehehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leftist.feminist.activist.journalist.
artzyfartzy
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2004 03:22:29 PM »

hhahah i've been reading this site like it's a religion nowadays and half the stuff in that room, i have seen in posts. it's kewl to see that it's all this cohesive decor, tho hehehe

yup, I'm also a craftster addict  Grin..  and posted the click lights tutorial + lite brite table + many others  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cloudbreakchick

We're all one of a kind, baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2004 04:42:09 AM »

darn it...no ikea near me.  Huh i can hunt for something similiar tho.

Ikea.com is a wonderful, wonderful place.   They don't have everything available on their online store, but most of their stuff IS.  They also give you the dimensions of everything, and shipping is really really reasonable.   I <3 Ikea.com.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's late, and I've been wondering...  How I can stay awake so long and miss so much...

http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/CraftCycle
HardCandy63

Short Attention Span Crafts Since Age Four.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2004 05:25:25 PM »

SARONGS!!! They decorate my walls for years before i got off my ass and painted. They look so good! You can get them in like a million different colours, and use them for pillows, tack them on walls etc. And of course there is the paint-a-canvas-a-solid-colour-and-hang-it-up-to-look-expensive trick.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Cute Hairstyle
How to Do Modern Hairstyles
How to Do a Half Up Hairstyle
How to Use Egg as Hair Conditioner
How to Treat Dry Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...