A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,083
Currently Running With Scissors:
568 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Big Wall II [ lots of pics!]  (Read 3681 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

artzyfartzy
« on: January 21, 2004 08:10:11 AM »

I didnt want to high jack the other thread with all these pictures....but I was finally inspired to take some pics and ask for help!!!

bear w/me, my cam really fights me to take good pics..

i live in a duplex, white walls! i hate white walls! look:

boy i'd love to get rid of that fake wood gold plated fan too! - landlord lives next door  Huh

here's some pix of other views near this wall

as u can tell, i'm not afraid of color, i'd love to be able to paint, but not allowed.  wish i could think of some temp solution for more color on the walls tho.  Undecided

Please bombard me with ideas!!!! thanks! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

snarky

editor, Snarky Magazine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2004 08:35:01 AM »

Your apartment is gorgeous!  I love your couch.  But I know what you mean about white walls.  One thing you could do if you can't paint is tack fabric or grasscloth up to cover the wall.  I have a few friends that did that and it looks really cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.snarkymag.com
for all your completely random needs
veruca_petunia
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2004 08:37:15 AM »

I think that you should paint the wall in question red. just that wall, and maybe paint the others a lighter neutral. the red would complement lots of the accessories that you have. oh wait! you said that you cant paint! sorry didn't read that last part. i feel your pain. i can't paint either  Cry

hmm....i used to work with an awesome artist and she was telling me that she alway had wanted to cover a wall in her house with denim patches. she was going to buy old jeans and cut them to about a 6" by 6" squares, wash them so that they got all frayed, and then use wallpaper paste to put them up. that would be cool.

in my apartment, i have gigantic cotton wall hangings from india that i hung everywhere. i got them at an indian boutique for 20$ each. they are bright and blue and lovely. and they cover very effectively!!!

i also bought these old magazines from 1942 called DU. they are german i think. the illustrations were so awesome that i just tacked them up onto one of my walls in rows. good luck with your walls!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...sweet dreams 'till sunbeams find you...
Lorie
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2004 08:44:46 AM »

What would happen if you paint? Would you lose your deposit? I read once that if you plan to stay in a place more than 2 yrs- to go ahead and paint, you'll lose your deposit but wouldn't it be worth it to have walls the color you like?
Another suggestion; Cut a piece of thin plywood (or something) to the exact dimension of that big empty space over your door, paint IT the color you want, then hang above the door Smiley
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004 08:45:51 AM by Lorie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes.
divasteph

The crafty diva is on the loose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2004 09:02:40 AM »

paint a huge colorful canvas and put it up there --- better yet get a bunch of different sized canvases and either paint them all one color or paint them different colors in the same color family (different shades of blues, etc)...also you could use fabric --- and make glamorpuss curtains falling ceiling to floor (you could always switch out the existing fan for another one or a pretty fixture -- and just as long as you put the old one up when you move - your landlord should not have a problem with it - it's very easy to do...and if they have issues - ask them to do it- there is very little risk involved)...
i guess that is all I got right now!
xoxo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artzyfartzy
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2004 09:32:50 AM »

You guyz are AWESOME! boy o boy, i dont know where to start!  Kiss

beeosh: when you made your push pin boards ~ did u use batting in between the cardboard + fabric? .. or did u just stretch the fabric?.. was that a real pain? I'm thinking I want to do something in this order because I'm a sucka for fabric/textures.. although I already have a ton of prints in this livingroom!!! lol, you should see what the TV stand looks like... maybe i need to take more pictures? but I dont want to fall off topic i guess ..i'm on a mission to get this wall problem fixed!

the couch is a futon frame, I got 2 foam bases at Joann fabrics - [ they cut it to my specifications ] then.. I went to my uncles boat-covering shop and had him cover it with marina-style canvas and piping around the edges.  I went with that bright color because I fell in love with the fabric in the pillows [ i made those too]

Lorie: I dont have a normal type landlord situation. she's *right* next door in this duplex. she's my mom's friend, and pretty strict.  so i cant really just paint and screw the deposit [ although very tempting!!!  Tongue]

divasteph: I'm wondering if she might let me change that light fixture tho? hmmmmmm....

veruca_petunia : how did u hang those fabric panels?

snarky ; what is grasscloth? i've never heard of it? ..and where can i find it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

divasteph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2004 09:57:45 AM »

I hope you don't mind but I did some graphics stuff to your picture with the options i suggested and posted it here for you....

http://www.violetdesigns.com/problemsolver.html

take a look and see what you think - and with your permisson I would like to make it an actual part of my site...

xoxo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artzyfartzy
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2004 10:44:09 AM »

Oh Wowza! that is so-o cool whatcha did! no i dont mind a bit!  it really puts everything into perspective! i can see a light fixture would make a world of difference! i love the orange+white one... where did u get that?

... and i like the curtains that go all the way to the floor! that really looks great!

thank you for all the inspiration!!  Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

divasteph

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2004 10:47:33 AM »

its three fixtures - from ikea --- i was going to do that in my dining room but decided on painting my current fixture instead - but i love it - you just have to grab a book on wiring and in less than 20 min you too can have a kick arse light fixture!
xoxo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artzyfartzy
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2004 10:49:46 AM »

darn it...no ikea near me.  Huh i can hunt for something similiar tho.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Guide to Scrapbooks Ideas
How to Find Scrapbook Stores
How to Organize Your Scrapbook Supplies
How to Make a Collage Sheet
How to Make a Photo Collage
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...