A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
690 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Any good homemade clay recipes? (not using polymer)  (Read 15135 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crafty_craftster_lurker
« on: July 14, 2007 09:57:26 AM »

Hello! I am new here, so first off I apologize if this is posted on the wrong board. I am still trying to learn the ins and outs of this forum.  Smiley

A few years ago, I made some really neat Barbie food items from a (non-edible of course!) clay recipe that was online. (little pies, cookies, hotdogs, etc) They turned out fabulous, I colored them with markers, and they are still holding up to this day without crumbling apart.

Why oh why did I not save the recipe? Now I am trying to find a good one and having a hard time. One I tried was too dry, maybe too much salt in it? I remember the ingredients were flour, water, salt, and maybe a little oil? I just don't know how MUCH of anything to use.

Does anyone have a tried and trusted recipe they would care to share? THANK YOU!  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007 10:06:08 AM »

I love listening to craftypod and she recently did a podcast about making your own clay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007 01:07:32 PM »

There are loads of recipes online for making "salt dough" clay... the proportions can change a bit from recipe to recipe though.  Here are a bunch of them:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLC,GGLC:1969-53,GGLC:en&q=%22salt+dough%22+recipes

I also like "bread clay" a lot.  It is a great clay, takes details really well, and is a little more refined than salt dough.  You can color and seal/glaze it, etc., similarly to any other air-dry clay:

Bread Clay
6 slices white bread
6 tbsps. white glue
1/2 tsp. detergent (liquid?, clothes or dishes?)... or 2 tsp. glycerine
food coloring
Remove crusts from bread, and knead with glue.
Add either detergent or glycerine.... knead until no longer sticky.
Separate into portions and add food coloring if desired.
Shape. 
Brush with equal parts of white glue and water if you want a glossy finish.
Allow to dry overnight to harden.
Paint with acrylic paint if you want as well, or if you didn't color the doughs.
Can also seal at this point with clear nail polish
.... or seal with white glue (or yellow wood glue)... starting out with a light coat... let dry... then use a heavier coat

HTH,

Diane B.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007 01:25:27 PM »

Salt dough is terrific & it's great if you're working with young kids, because it wont hurt them to eat it!  (It'll just taste bad. Tongue )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 27, 2010 <3
crafty_craftster_lurker
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007 02:18:22 PM »

Thank you guys for replying to help me! Perhaps I didn't exactly describe what I was wanting though.

I would like TRIED and TRUE recipes that YOU members have tried before and had success with.  Smiley I have no problem googling recipes myself (I'm not that lazy! hehe), and there are SO many out there! But as I said, I've tried a few different ones after loosing the first recipe I had and none of them have been as nice. They all crack and dry up too easily.

If anyone has one they have USED and love, or one that has high ratings, I would be willing to try it, but not some random recipes I don't know if they will turn out or not!  Tongue  Cheesy

Again, thanks for all the help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007 05:02:13 PM »

The saltdough recipe I use is:

1 cup salt
1 cup flour
1/2 cup water

Mix flour & salt
Mix in salt
Knead until smooth, elastic & non-sticky

After molding into shapes, cook 2 hrs at 100 degrees C
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
crafty_craftster_lurker
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007 05:08:26 AM »

Thanks Haylie!  Grin Have you had any problems with that one cracking or crumbling?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007 07:05:21 AM »

Hm.  Well, depending on what you do with it, your pieces can be fragile.  I made a ton of christmas ornaments for my cousin and several of them have broken.  But I havent had a problem with them cracking/crumbling on their own.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
Diane B.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007 10:32:03 AM »

I don't work with salt dough, so don't know but it's also at least possible that it's not the exact recipe that's causing you problems ... could be things like how well you moosh the ingredients up, how humid or dry the air was when you made or dried your items, how long the clay sat not in an air-tight situation, how you make the joins, exactly how you dried it or how long it sat first, or how you baked it if you did (at what temp?, at what point?, cooled slowly in oven?, etc.) --or how/where used it, or especially how you stored it. . .

If you want more details from people who actually use salt dough, you might want to ask this question though on other boards... perhaps the Kids board here would be a good bet. 
Or ask in boards and groups at other places like HGTV, yahoogroups, Usenet (googlegroups), or at the many sites and boards for parents re things to do with kids.

P.S. There are some Craftsters who are pushing to have a wider-ranging set of "clay" boards, but that hasn't happened yet.  If it did though, there could be a whole board just for the various types of "air-dry" clay (salt dough, bread clay, CreativePaperclay, papier mache and paper mash, Makins, Crayola Model Magic, and loads of others).
Btw, my suggestion for a "clay themed set of boards" was:

Polymer Clays
Metal Clays
Air-dry Clays
Ceramic Clays
( + Resins)

Diane B.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007 10:42:02 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

few of my photos
spongebarbie

i know that it's a heartquake...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007 04:09:33 AM »

my problem with the salt dough is that it cracks so badly when i put it into the oven!

also it happen,that both sides of the object have different colors!

> humpf ... but i love to work with it cause its so cheap.

any ideas about that?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007 12:35:08 PM »

it cracks so badly when i put it into the oven!
also it happen,that both sides of the object have different colors

Why are you putting it into the oven?... just to speed up the drying?

If so, what temperature are you using?... and are you pre-heating?  I think that a lower temperature (for a longer time) will keep the dough from browning at the edges so much, but not sure.  Sometimes the dial of an oven doesn't show the temp that's actually happening inside too, so it could be higher than you think in general.

And what kind of surface is the dough baking on? ... ones which absorb more heat (like metal or ceramic tile, and clear glass, etc.) can make the bottom of any object that's baked darker than the top.  If you want to try something different... put a few papertowels or other (blank) papers or fabric under the dough to isolate it from touching things that get hot, and also to get it farther from the bottom walls (or sides) of an oven.

I googled some possible answers too, so some of these may be more specific or accurate:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLC,GGLC:1969-53,GGLC:en&q=%22salt+dough%22+crack+cracking

Diane B.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007 12:37:10 PM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

few of my photos
Muria
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007 08:29:52 AM »

My library has a book called Mudworks that has about every home recipe for a modeling compound known to man:
http://www.amazon.com/Mudworks-Creative-Modeling-Experiences-Learning/dp/0935607021/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-8985465-4600035?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192202822&sr=8-1

You might want to check your library to see if they have it. I think it has a blurb about the best uses for each recipe are, so it might be a help to you. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
Petit-Bijoux

...step by step...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007 07:53:38 AM »

I have a good "biscuit" recipe, it's an homemade clay, also called cold porcelain or similar to  this... i don't know if can translate it to english... at least i try... you can make the clay and then add inks and make your own colors. The clay air drys and make beautiful things, like animals, dolls... etc... if you check "biscuit" at google.com.br (brazil) you will find lot of ideas and frontpages mags!

Recipe:

1 cup of glue for wood
1 cup of flour - maize starch (the one that is made with corn, and is used to make the soups and  gravies more thick)
1 cup liquid vaselin
1 soup spoon of lemon juice

Put all together, mix and take it to the microwave for 1 minut in 650C. Then put it again for 25 minuts periods, every time, take it and mix. When it starts to make balls but still with glue in the bottow, take it. Please leave it more soft than hard.
Put the clay in the table already with hands cream (with no grease), better if is made of stone and start to beat the clay.

Then put in cellophane paper. Take small balls and start to paint it with white ink to make a color base (you can use almost any kinfd of inks). If you want others color, use the white clay and add the color you want.

You can keep this clay for 6 months if you put it in cellophane bags and them in a box well closed.

Hope this helps... my english it's not that good...  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007 06:16:47 AM »

1 cup of glue for wood
1 cup of flour - maize starch (the one that is made with corn, and is used to make the soups and  gravies more thick)
1 cup liquid vaselin

Re terminology, in American English we call flour made from corn "cornstarch," and flour made from wheat just plain old "flour."  I believe in the UK, cornstarch is called "corn flour" though, which makes much more sense.

Also the recipes I've seen for homemade cold porcelain (cornstarch clay) are usually made with regular permanent "white glue" (in U.S., the white glue made for wood is actually yellow) plus cold cream, glycerine and water, or some have just cornstarch and baking soda, and some may have a bit of corn oil.  Most don't use an acid like lemon juice, but some cornstarch based recipes do use a lot of baking soda.  There are all kinds of recipes for "clays" though using one kind of grain of another.   

I've heard that the homemade versions of cold porcelain are pretty fiddly and less favored than the purchased ones (though cheaper of course!).

Diane B.

P.S.  for anyone else interested, "Biscuit" is a term used by one brand of cold porcelain mix (Cascorez Cold Porcelain Biscuit)
.....more info from my files:
the Biscuit is basically the white-glue part which the purchaser will mix with the powder part, and is the binding agent in "Cold Porcelain Paste").  It provides elasticity, plasticity, consistency, high water resistance, and smooth texture. It's also used to "glue" the pieces of cured Cold Porcelain Paste together. ...the Biscuit (glue) can also be added to the pre-mixed paste (CPP) if wanting very specific conditions such as more plasticity or water resistance.. . . Jeanne R.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

few of my photos
Ormspryde
Holder of the Stone of the Unholy Muse

Wheeee!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2007 05:29:19 PM »

Maybe if you use a foil armature for thicker pieces, like I do with polymer clay, you won't have as bad a problem with cracking?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sweet Loki on a cellphone!!!
*lguernsey*
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008 12:47:24 PM »

okay well I found sevral clay-dough recipes on  getcrafty.com

I haven't tried any of these yet, and i am not for sure who to give credit to for them.

Wood Dough
1 C sifted sawdust
C flour
1Tbsp liquid starch
1 C water
Mix until dough is formed, add more water if too dry.
Mold or shape into beads, ornaments, paperweights, etc. Let dry 2 or more days. Sand to smooth. Painting or staining optional.

Gelatin plastic
3 Packages Unflavored Gelatin
9 Tbsp water
3-5 Drops of Food Coloring
Mix the water and food coloring over low heat. Add 3 packages of unflavored gelatin, stir continuously and cook for 30 seconds until thickened. Pour the mixture into a flat dish, push the bubbles to the edge and let it set for 45 minutes. The gelatin will be soft. Use cookie cutters to cut shapes, and use a straw to cut holes. Keep any scraps, because you can use them after they dry. Dry the shapes on a clothesline. They'll be hard as plastic in 2-3 days.

The pieces are likely to curl up as they dry. To keep some pieces flat: rubberband a clean cloth over the top of a bowl and place your shape on the cloth. Cover with another cloth, and cover that with a plate or disk to flatten the piece.

Cornstarch Clay
1/2 c salt
1/2 c hot water
1/4 c cold water
1/2 c cornstarch
Mix salt and hot water in a pan and heat to boiling.
Mix cold water and cornstarch and stir.
Add cornstarch mixture to pan and stir some more.
Cook over low heat, still stirring, until mixture is stiff.
Remove from heat and when mixture is cooled enough to handle knead until smooth.

This has a grainy texture and dries in 1-2 days. You can speed up the drying time by baking at 200 F for an hour or so.

Cornstarch Clay Two
1 C cornstarch
1.25 C cold water
2 c baking soda
10 drops of food color
glitter optional, 1 tsp
mix in saucepan, heat for five minutes, stirring, It will thicken and turn to a dough. Remove dough and cool. Knead dough, 3 minutes. Good for beads and small stuff. Let air dry.

here is another site or two with dough recipes, I found these looking for crafts for my 3 year old to do..
 http://nspreschool.tripod.com/funkids.html

http://www.indiana.edu/~kneehigh/FunStuff/Themes/2001-08-28-concotions.htm

and martha strewart website has several dough and modeling clay recipes and I have tried these and they are flour,salt,water,oil and cream of tarter and you have to use the cream of tarter or they turn to goop in a couple of hours and then it is a mess!!!!! if you cant find them let me no and i will send them to you... good luck I hope this helps and to the makers of these recipes thanks a billion....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live, Love, and laugh often..
http://deepseasparkle.blogspot.com/
pernik
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2008 09:20:42 PM »

Hello all, i'm a newbie. I made things from home made air dry clay for almost a year. I use this clay to make figurines as tall as 20 cm (with wire armature), miniature foods, animals, people and things and also flowers. The recipe is not mine, it has been written in many crafts books already so I don't know who to give credits for, anyway, here's the recipe (english is not my mother tongue, so excuse me for the mistakes  Wink)

1.  20g white flour (the flour you usually use to make bread, cakes etc)
2.  20g tapioca flour
3.  20g rice flour
4.  50g white glue
a pinch of food preservative in powder (optional)
for color, choose one of these paints: acrylic, watercolor, poster color

Mix no.1 to no.4 and knead with your hands until the dough doesn't stick too much in your hands (just like making a bread dough).  It's very messy, but it cleans away completely with water and soap.
Blend the paint in the dough or paint it on after the clay is completely dry. 
Always keep the clay dough in an airtight container.  Just take out what is necessary to make your project.
The finished piece can also be varnished with acrylic glaze, or clear nail polish or spray paint in clear / transparent.

I hope some of you will try this and tell me what you think  Smiley

ps: the miniatures in the pic above are all made from this kind of air dry clay. The teddy bear's size is about 1,5 cm tall.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008 03:39:45 AM by pernik » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sharies CraftWorld
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012 09:23:02 AM »

Hello, I have never got on here before.. I read it alot so if I make any mistakes let me say now that Im sorry....Here goes....
I have a cold porcelain clay recipe if any one is intressed in it..
Ingredients:
2 Cups cornstarch
2 cups elmers glue
2 tbsp Lemon juice (or) 2 tbsp white vinegar
2 tbsp baby oil (any kind of oil: mineral,cooking,baby even vaseline will work)
2 tbsp of body lotion or cold cream (with: glycerin and without: lanolin, silicone)
Tools needed:
spoon
micowave bowl
measuring cups
measuring spoon
mix all together make sure clumps are out.
Put in micowave 30 seconds at a time stir well..
repeat 3-5 minutes..
when it gets lumping or thickens up stop cooking....
knead while hot with lotion on your hands about 10 minutes
when storing rub with lotion in sealed container or zip lock bag...
best results is let set for 24 hours before using...
It is advised to store in frigerator...
Can be store in freezer indefinitely take out and thaw 24 hours before using it..
Can be made in to something and air dyes in a day to 3 days depending how thick it is... and remember it will shrink in size but seems to shrink less in the oven...
if in a hurry...preheat oven to 350 degrees F. turn oven of and place project in oven tell cools off... I have put in a 250 degrees F... for 30minutes.. will lighten colors..
For coloring:
can paint when dryed.. or oil based paints can be used instead of baby oil..
tempera paints... Markers can be added color when clay is ready to be made into something... if you use water based paints add a touch of cornstrach when mixing before micwaving...
hope this was usefull....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sharies CraftWorld
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012 09:28:16 AM »

Sorry forgot to add something to my recipe...
I dont use water or salt the recipes with them seems to crack to much...
thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Authors Virginia DeBerry and Donna Grant
Helene Cooper Talks About The House at Sugar Beach
Meet Author J.A. Jance
Marla Frazee Talks About All The World
Lisa Wheeler and Mark Siegel Talks About Boogie Knights
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...