A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,139
Currently Running With Scissors:
518 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Harry Potter Day Help!!!  (Read 764 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LifeislikeanEwok
Chrissasaurus-Rex

View Profile WWW
« on: July 13, 2007 09:12:39 PM »

So, as we all know, Friday is going to be the last LITERARY Harry Potter day...ever. I'm ever so excited (not to mention terribly sad that its the finale)....

So, here's my conflict...
I'm going to a Harry Potter book party, and it's going to be HUGE. I really want to dress up as anything to do with Harry Potter- however, I have literally NO money. Zip, ZERO, no money.

Any ideas on what I can do? my boyfriend is dying his hair black tomorrow and I seriously do not want to show up with my harry potter boyfriend while I'm just little old Chriss....

Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is an occasion. Rise to it!" -Mr.Magorium
talyra
likes shiny things

Aboard yer ship, gnawin' yer timbers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007 05:59:24 AM »

1) Do you resemble any of the characters? Even very slightly? Cos that makes it easier to start with Wink

2) How's your crafty stash looking? Stationary box? Recycling bin? The "I'm-sure-I'll-use-that-one-day" pile? What do you have already that you could use? Anything from card and poster paint to fabrics can become a costume if you use it right Cheesy

3) What do you already have in the way of clothing that you could use?

For example:
A very basic costume could be a white shirt, black trousers/skirt and long(ish?) black coat. If you wanted a cape, you could turn the coat sleeves inside out and pin them to the inside of the coat so they didn't flap around, then fasten just the top button of the coat or pin the coat with a brooch.
If you have a large square of black fabric hiding somewhere, you could just use that as a cape with a brooch.
You could chop up a few old black T-shirts and sew them together into a cape.

I'd suggest that you look at what you have, look at the characters and decide what would be easiest to do with your stash of craft-ables. Then do it Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeccaJaneStClair
Follow the Butterflies....

I'd rather swing on the moon than a star.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007 10:43:14 PM »

Good ideas! I was going to suggest around the same thing. 

My standard Hogwarts student uniform is:  a grey skirt, a white blouse, knee highs, and mary janes.  you could easily JUST wear this and go as a generic Hogwart's student, however if you want to be a specific character, here are a few suggestions:

My Ginny costume is simply the standard student uniform.  I dyed my hair redder for the occasion, and then I used clips to clip back my hair the way Bonnie Wright has hers in the promo shots for OotP.  I also had a plain black leather bound journal that I was debating on carrying around to be Tom Riddle's diary. 

I also have a golden snitch necklace that a swap partner made m eout of a shrinky dink snitch, but you could easily make a beaded necklace.

If you are blonde and/or want to go as Luna you can easily make a butterbeer cork necklace out of one or two wine bottle corks and/or beer bottle caps.  Continuing with the Luna theme, you can create the cover of the quibbler out of an old composition notebook or any magazine -  just check the beginning of OotP for the description.  You could fashion radish earrings out of large red beads and smaller green beads. 

For Hermione you could tease your hair out. If it's long, braid it into smallish braids while it's still wet and wait for it to dry. when it's dry, take out the braids and fluff things out.  Carry a large book - a dictionary will do - and fashion a "Hogwarts, A History" cover for it. 

Tonks - take an old black T-shirt and stencil/iron-on "The Weird Sisters", pair it with a pair of ripped jeans, and doc marten boots (if you have any, otherwise black shoes).  For her hair you can get cheap spray-on pink hair spray and spray it pink, dye it temporarily with kool-aid, or even get a cheap wig (the dollar store has these long hair headbands in the kids dress-up section. pink, green, blue, etc.)  you could even make-shift something out of pink yarn if that's all you have to work with.

Mrs. Weasley - anything "frumpy" - a really big apron, a huge sweater over a mumu, etc.  Large purse. Maybe even carry around knitting needles with part of a project on it, since she's almost always knitting.

Minerva McGonnegal - Long black dress, green velvet cape/coat/piece of fabric to drape around your neck.  Hair back in a tight bun, and maybe add some grey to your hair with a white face paint crayon.

A wand is easily made from a plain wooden dowel, a drumstick, even cut the spoon part off a wooden spoon.

If you want to have a cloak, you can easily use an old black graduation robe as-is, or dye a colored robe black. One girl on Wednesday was just using a black bath robe as her wizard robe and the extra bonus was the pockets to hold stuff.

Also if you want to be a student, a plain black or grey messenger bag would help to compliment your outfit. 

Hope that helped!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(formerly AnnaOnTheMoon)

http://blog.beccajanestclair.com ~ http://annaonthemoon.livejournal.com ~  http://www.wists.com/annaonthemoon  ~ http://pinterest.com/annaonthemoon
LifeislikeanEwok
Chrissasaurus-Rex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007 11:21:52 AM »

well my dears, these ideas are suberb and I love them. I think going as tonks would have been amazing, but I went the cheap way out- my sis bought me an awesome shirt that has Voldemort on it and I think I'm gonna wear a black cape over it and draw the dark mark tattoo on my forearm- go as some crazy punk voldemort supporter...I dunno- I'm crazy broke....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life is an occasion. Rise to it!" -Mr.Magorium
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Lin Chung
How to Draw Leonardo
How to Draw Leela
How to Draw Leonardo
How to Draw Kou Ichinomiya
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...