A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
534 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: two needle fingerless, relatively-thumbless "hand sleeves"  (Read 3984 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amobabe

I'm a llama's mama!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 27, 2004 09:31:20 PM »

My daughter, aged 3 and 1 week, looked at these and said, "Huh, what are these? Some sort of hand sleeves or something?" I think she summed them up well.

The photos aren't so great since they don't show how nicely the cuffs fall OVER long sleeves (and my wrinkled, anti-hand model hands couldn't sell water in the desert)...anyway...

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/uploads/1607/crftglove2.jpg

Okay, here's the pattern:

Either double worsted weight yarn and use on 13 needles or, for a somewhat denser glove, use Lion's brand Landscapes (shown below) and size 10.5 needles. 50g should do it.

Cast on 22 stitches. Knit six rows (garter stitch) then stockingnet for a TOTAL of 4 or 5 inches. Decrease one stitch at each of the row 2x (18 sts. total). Continue stockingnet pattern 5 rows then garter stitch for 4 rows. Cast off. Leave a tail 3x as long as the length of the glove. Sew together using the tail. Start at the top of the glove and stitch 1/2 inch then leave an opening for the thumb (about 1 1/4 inch). Continue to sew down the side (use the decrease as a guide) and weave in loose ends.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2011 09:19:09 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gertie_T
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2004 09:59:50 PM »

Ooooh, I love that yarn! That's the Lion's Brand Landscapes? It looks like Colinette or some other fancy schmancy yarn. It looks especially great in garter stitch.

I'm impressed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kimbabwe
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004 06:50:59 AM »

I'm completely into the fingerless gloves/mittens right now - think they're a great idea - and these look fabulous!  Are the cuffs folded up, or just knit in a different stitch than the rest of the "hand sleeve"?

I think your daughter has got it right - kids are typically far more literal than we adults - they tell it like it is! Does she want a pair of her own?

Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftymodster
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2004 11:49:55 AM »

These are SO lovely, AB!!!  So cool.  I want to whip a pair up for gift giving.  How long did they take you (of course I'm asking one that has been knitting for 10+ years, as compared to my measly ONE year of knitdome)?  They look nice & speedy, especially with the bulky (& reasonable....yay!) yarn.  Thank you kindly for the pattern & the wonderful visuals!  xo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'd rather be creating an utter mess
amobabe

I'm a llama's mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004 02:44:57 PM »

I know, it's hard to believe this yarn is Lion's Brand...it's really fabulous and soft. There's been quite a bit of discussion about it on knittersreview.com (most positive, except I have doubts about it's s0-called feltability--it's 1/2 acryilic, 1/2 wool so sounds kind of lumpy). Anyway, the cuff is just garter stitch and not wider or thicker stitch wise than the body, it's just that a garter stitch will over yield a wider, fuller body than stockingnet. I like that the cuffs are loose b/c they go over sleeves/cuffs (on a sweater, blouse, etc.). You can always cut back on a stitch or two to make more narrow mitts, if you want.

CM, these are really fast! Maybe an hour or so?? I've been fiddling with these (a la your handiwork, CM!) adding sequins and beads, etc. so that takes more time (as you know) but the actual knitting is very fast!

Thanks again for the nice comments. I rarely post my stuff b/c I'm lazy and tired but I wanted to give a tiny bit back, at least a quick project, since I've learned so much here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wizkid
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004 04:34:10 PM »

Yay! I have a ball of that yarn that I am working on right now.... I think it will be a christmas present scarf, but I love your 'sleeves.'
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the blog: http://katiesredumbrella.blogspot.com/

the etsy: http://katiecanavan.etsy.com

ravelry: serafinapekkala
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Lighting in a Studio
How to Create an Equipment Check List
How to Photograph a Landscape Architecture Image
How to Use Contouring Lines
How to Photograph a Landscape on a Grand Scale
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...