A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
615 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I NEED this hat  (Read 900 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eatmoreplants

AppleAndTree.Etsy.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: July 13, 2007 01:02:17 PM »

Okay, I feel really silly posting a picture of lindsay lohan- but I LOVE her hat and I would love to knit one. What stitch is that behind the ribbing?? Does anyone know of a similar pattern? Or any clues as to how I could make this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apple & Tree
appleandtree.etsy.c om

Apple and Tree believes in the philosophy of re-using before recycling. We make one of a kind pieces using salvaged items as base material and offer authentic vintage fashions.
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007 01:17:12 PM »

It's really hard to tell, but maybe bobble stitch?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
weirdlilcraftychic

oh wow look at me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007 01:32:57 PM »

trinity stitch?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
psmommy
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007 01:34:20 PM »

My guess would be popcorn stitch?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitjunkee

It's like crack, only with yarn.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007 01:35:47 PM »

It is the trinity/popcorn stitch. There was a thread on her awhile back about this hat, but i can't find it at the moment. Do a search for Starlet (that's what she named it) under the Completed Projects board and you should see a less slouchy version with a tute, as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss Mermaid Strikes Back

spirit day was crazy

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007 02:04:28 PM »

crocheting bobbles is MUCH easier than knitting them, as is crocheting a hat in the round ((you start from the crown and work downwards, generally)) and when you get to where you want the ribbing to be, you make a loop as if to do another crochet stitch and instead of working it with your hook just put it on a circular knitting needle, i actually just made a hat in that style, but no pretty texture work on it, so a general outline would be to

chain 4, slipstitch to join
row 1 -- 10 sc or dc into ring ((depending on how dense you want the hat, ww yarn and dc with a 5-6 mm hook makes a loose drapey fabric))((10 stitches))
row 2 -- 2 sc or dc whatever youve chosen to use in each stitch, but if you want to do a bobble stitch pattern, work one stitch, and then one bobble into the same stitch you worked the first stitch in, and repeat in each stitch to the end((20 sts))
row 3 -- *1 #c, 2 #c in the next stitch, repeat from * around,  working a bobble in the first stitch of the increases((30 sts))
row 4 -- *2 #c, 2 #c in the next stitch, repeat from * around,  working a bobble in the first of the two separate stitchs and the first of the increase stitches also((40 sts))
row 5 -- *3 #c, 2 #c in the next stitch, repeat from * around,  working a bobble in the center((second)) of the separate stitches and the first of the increase stitches also((50 sts))
row 6 -- *4 #c, 2 #c in the next stitch, repeat from * around,  working a bobble in the first and thirda of the separate stitchs and the first of the increase stitches also((60 sts))
row 7 -- *9 #c, 2 #c in the next stitch, repeat from * around,  working a bobble in the second, fourth, sixth and eighth of the individual stitches and the first of the inceases stitches also((65 sts))
row 8 -- *10 #c, 2 #c in the next stitch, repeat from * around,  working a bobble in the first, third, fifth, seventh and ninth individual stitches, an the first of the increase stitches also((70 sts))
rows 9 and beyond -- *#c 2, work 1 bobble in the next stitch, #c , repeat from * to end for all odd numbered rows
rows 10 and beyond -- *#c 1, work 1 bobble in the next stitch, #c 1, work 1 bobble in the next stitch, #c 1, repeat from * to end for all even numbered rows

when you have between 20 and 25 rows if working in double crochet, between 30 and 40 rows in single crochet your hat should be long enough to be considderable slouchy, make it longer if you chose though, try it on before you pick up loops to knit your ribbing.

using about a size US8--16" circular needle pick up one knit stitch for every crochet stitch that you worked on the previous row, if you want to put a ribbon into your hat for decoration on the first knitted row before you begin ribbing *k2tog, yo, repeat from * to end to creat an eyelet row and then for 5-10 rows after that just do a k1,p1 ribbing pattern for all rows, or change it up if you want to, bind off VERY loosely, i like the slip stitch bind off method ((similar to a crocheted bind off, but no hook needed, just slip your first stitch from left to right needle, slip a second stitch the same way, and pass the first slipped stitch over, now do it again by slipping a 3rd stitch and lifting the prior stitch that you just passed over, over the stitch you just slipped)) if youre going to use this type of bindoff, use a needle between sizes US11 and US15 for maximum give.

i have not tested this pattern, i just came up with it as i was typing this, i have made hats in this style before, both knitted and crocheted, if you have any quetions, please feel free to post here or PM me directly.

sorry for such a long post and hijacking your thread.

-MMSB, aka Ariel
THIS ROCKS   Logged

join the september wish list swap!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=193590.0

www.wists.com/MissMermaid

enjoy felting? want to trade for some wool dreads? PM me!
SugarySweet
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007 07:38:16 PM »

Is that the same hat posted here?  She also posted a link to the instructions.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=183014.msg1906800#msg1906800
THIS ROCKS   Logged

citizengeek
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007 09:21:49 PM »

It's definitely a knitted bobble.  I made one of these bobble baby hats a couple years ago:
http://www.knitty.com/issuewinter03/PATTbabytart.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tragicheroine
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007 08:08:46 PM »

Her hat is made from trinity/popcorn stitch.
I knit the hat knitijunkee is talking about, the thread is here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=150471.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chloe Hooper Talks About Tall Man
Meet Author Elle Newmark
Meet Author Sandra Gulland
Meet Author Michael Katakis
Meet Author Carlos Fairs
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...