A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,736
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: nursing/breastfeeding pads.  (Read 2738 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rratstarr

needs a new hobby like a hole in the head.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007 09:26:14 AM »

One tip I don't see mentioned here - use microfiber toweling as an absorbent layer.  I actually got lazy (read: sleep deprived) and didn't bother making cloth nursing pads - I just folded a microfiber towel in half and stuck it inside my bra or cami when I was super leaky at home (folded in half it would cover both sides) and used disposables on the rare occasion when I left the house.

If I sew them for the next one though, I'd layer something to go between the microfiber and my skin - some people have had issues with microfiber towels being too absorbent when it touches the skin and drying out their skin.

Another thing - I see a lot of wool pads for sale online.  Usually it's felted 100% wool.  It makes sense because wool can actually hold quite a bit of moisture before feeling damp to the touch, and lanolin found in wool (although it can be washed out) can help heal sore nipples.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pretty Pistol
Pretty Pistol

Doe Raemie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007 12:07:10 PM »

ok , so a lot of great advice here. .. now to just find time to sew ....

i made the mistake of putting this project off, and then oneday .. i actualy gave birth.  and now i dont have time to sew when ever i want. 

my mom did buy me some cloth diapers to try this out with , she suggested i just sew appropriate sized circles in the padded area of the cloth diapers and cut them out.   this sounds like a quick easy way to do it, and for now i shouldnt have too many problems with leaking through since i dont have heavy leaks yet.

i think i will still keep some of those paper disposable pads on hand , for those just in case episodes when im out in public

my next project, nursing blanket....  i dont mind nursing in public but i dont think everyone esle wants to see my boobs.   
i just have to decide what type fabric to use,  im not sure what would work best, i dont want it to be too hot or unbreathable for baby.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Such  a Pretty Pistol
beanaboo
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007 07:51:23 PM »

I actually found a website that suggested using flannel.  So I looked around my house and I found receiving blankets and a cloth diaper.  I cut 5 inch circles out of the receiving blankets and the cloth diaper and assembled them with the receiving blanket circles on the outside and the cloth diaper as the center and just used the zig zag stich on my machine and sewed all around, and they actually work really well for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thixle
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007 05:59:24 PM »

ok , so a lot of great advice here. .. now to just find time to sew ....

i made the mistake of putting this project off, and then oneday .. i actualy gave birth.  and now i dont have time to sew when ever i want. 

Mwwaaa-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I know how you feel!

When you are in this position, just fold up a wash cloth (microfiber sounds awesome).  In a couple of months, you won't be leaking, so it's not really worth too much time.

For the nursing blanket:  Craftster search "hooter hiders"  (I don't have much time right now, but that's the title)...  Cotton is awesome, though I never tried one.  But, my kid was born in August -HOT- and didn't want to be covered.  I started wearing a tank top under my shirt and would *go over the top of the tank and under the t-shirt* Worked(s) for us, didn't feel like she was smothering.  Once I got the hang of it, I don't even show my skin, and kinda glad we don't have a blankie to lug around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dcsharpe
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007 03:11:53 PM »

The "won't be leaking after a couple of months" thing.....Not true for everyone. I'm in my 10th month of nursing my dd and I leak like someone poked a balloon filled with milk! LOL! I believe I might have what is commonly refereed to as "hyperactive letdown" though. This is my third child and I started leaking just a drop or few when I was 3 months pregnant with out a nursing baby. So, my 2 cents worth on this...I used disposables for a long time but it gets expensive when the only ones that actually contain it are almost $10 for a box of 60 and I went thru at least 10 a day! I now use cloth and I still have leaks but I don't go out much (as I said-3 kids) so I don't worry too much about it and I even go without anything other than my cotton bra and t-shirt and just let it fly. With my body heat and any natural process, it dries quickly. I change my shirt if I need too. The reason I started doing this is because I kept trying to get a yeast infection because I couldn't keep the pads changed often enough. If I need real protection, I made a set out of microfiber and fleece and PUL. Yes it is fluffy so I have to wear a shirt that compensates but, that is the price I pay. Not really that much. HTH Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

javamama
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2007 10:26:08 AM »

when the only ones that actually contain it are almost $10 for a box of 60 and I went thru at least 10 a day!  HTH Smiley

Wow... that's a lot of milk!!  Are u nursing all three kids? LOL just kidding.. it is probably a hassle, but consider it a blessing.  I had such a hard time with my first dd to get milk going.  I'm in month 10 with dd 2, and things are much different this time.  It doesn't seem right that disposable should be so expensive.  I tried the commercial reusable pads and they dried funny , were too small, and never seemed to lay right after a few washes.  I draw the line at ironing nursing pads!! Of course i dont really iron anything...  Wink 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Nail Art Trend Is Over
Top Picks for Eye Shadow Primer
C&C Try: Apple Cider Vinegar Treatments
How to Get Christmas Tree Nails
Self Magazine’s Perfect Stocking Stuffers
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...