A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,505
Currently Running With Scissors:
387 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New spice, umm rack, err holders, um spice container solution???  (Read 75059 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project , spice_rack  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

andrenna

sleep a little more if you want to

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2005 11:18:24 AM »

sure, ecstasia!

making this spicerack was insanely easy. i ordered the tins from lee valley tools, as well as the super strong tiny magnets. i didn't have any glue on hand when the supplies arrived, so i taped the magnets on the back of the tins with clear packing tape. and they've held ever since then! with the magnets on the backs of the tins, i put them onto a 99 cent magnetic bar i bought at ikea. not including the cost of spices, this spicerack cost me <$10.00!! all the links to things i bought are at the bottom of this post. i'm glad you liked my take on moefen's idea! 

this colorful magnetic strip (with 12 magnets included) would be rad as a base to attach the spices to, although at $12.99 it is a lot more expensive than my 99 cent bar.
http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?PRODID=67609&CATID=64155

tins: i believe i ordered G-- http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page.aspx?c=2&p=44948&cat=4,104,45461&ap=3
magnets: i ordered the tiniest ones and bought the same # of tins and magnets -- http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=32065&cat=3,42363,42348&ap=1
magnetic bar: lastly, the ikea magnetic bar is only available in stores, but here's the link nonetheless -- http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=12&langId=-1&productId=43302
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ecstasia
Little Girl Lost

I love personal swaps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2005 01:32:41 PM »

Wow that is really simple but such a great idea! Thank you for telling me how to do it. I'm going to have to steal the idea and use it at home. But don't worry, if anyone asks me about the rack, I'm sending them here first!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

andrenna

sleep a little more if you want to

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2005 10:42:28 AM »

Wink that's sweet, e!

did i miss something? a mention in jane magazine? what issue?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moefen
« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2005 10:56:10 PM »

Whoa, yeah, was this mentioned in Jane?Huh

I gotta say, I can't believe a posting I put up has been seen by this many thousands of people!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005 10:58:23 PM by moefen » THIS ROCKS   Logged
megantron
« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2005 05:28:50 PM »

Wink that's sweet, e!

did i miss something? a mention in jane magazine? what issue?
Whoa, yeah, was this mentioned in Jane?Huh

I gotta say, I can't believe a posting I put up has been seen by this many thousands of people!

Yep, May 2005 issue.  The article is actually about Leah's duplex...
pg. 96, "Reader Home #23"

and I quote, "See, she's a D.I.Y.-obsessed computer programmer and founder of www.craftster.org, and online community for people who like to make cool stuff (like a magnetic spice rack for the fridge in your tiny kitchen-- see  www.craftster.org for instructions)."

Couldn't be anyone else...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moefen
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2005 09:55:35 PM »

who like to make cool stuff (like a magnetic spice rack for the fridge in your tiny kitchen-- see  www.craftster.org for instructions)."

That is so cool!

"S-M-R-T" says my husband!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ochenk
« Reply #106 on: May 09, 2005 10:43:06 PM »

I love this idea! We have a serious spice management problem at my house, so this was perfect!!

Plus, I've seen these tins at Axman. Long live AXMAN!! For me to make something, it has to be creative AND cheap!

The big tins were 95 cents each. The next size down were 75 cents each. I bought a bunch and went to town.

Here's my 'frige (so far)

There are a couple of questions that have come up in this thread, so I'll give my solutions.

1) Magnets. Sheet magnets are way too weak to hold the tin and spice contents. I experimented with a few different types. Axman had "super-strong" magnets, 3 for $4. You only need one for each tin. It's totally secure, and in fact, it's a little too strong. The magnet pulls the tin out of your hands as you get close to the fridge. Axman also had slightly weaker magnets, 10 for $3. You have to use three per tin, but it's cheaper and feels better. The only downside of these magnets is that they leave a slight residue on the fridge if you move them around. We learned not to move 'em, so it's fine.

Here are the magnets.

2) Glue: I use Elmer's Stix-All. No problem at all. A little stinky when using, but dries oderless.

3) Lid security: This was my biggest concern. The ones at Axman did not create a tight pressure fit. So after a little experimentation, I figured that a tiny crimp on the base tin kept everything tight.

Here's me crimping:

and here's what the crimp looks like:

I also found this neat little box at Axman, so I added a sheet magnet (which is strong enough to hold the plastic case and bay leaves).

Thanks so much for the idea!!

Ochen K.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2005 09:25:28 PM by ochenk » THIS ROCKS   Logged
simplytreasured
Trish

http://www.funkyfunctionalart4u.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: May 21, 2005 02:11:48 PM »

I love the look of the stainless steel containers but for anyone who has to do really really cheap...you can buy clear ones at the dollar store 6 for $1.00 - I use them to store my beads and stuff but now I might get more and steal your idea for now, until I can get to a place that sells the steel ones.
Great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ecstasia
Little Girl Lost

I love personal swaps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: June 20, 2005 06:52:00 PM »

/smacks forehead

Uh duh. I feel dumb now. I see those plastic bead containers practically everyday at Wal-mart and I never thought about using those. I like the look of the tin ones as well, but I can't find them anywhere but online for a decent price and honestly, I'm a cheapskate now since I have my wedding coming up. I need to buy some of the plastic ones tonight!

-- Lissi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

schmitaa
« Reply #109 on: June 21, 2005 12:32:37 PM »

Great idea!!!  I'm always complaining that I need a spice rack, but I don't have room for one of those spinny holders and I can't find a shelf I like.  I MUST make myself some of these!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005 12:35:24 PM by schmitaa » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 2/9
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 9/10
How to Crochet a Vintage Baby Hat Part 7/10
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 4/9
How to Crochet a Waffle Cable Stitch Part 3/9
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...