A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,923
Currently Running With Scissors:
606 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 19
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New spice, umm rack, err holders, um spice container solution???  (Read 76618 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project , spice_rack  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sewer Rat
Fabric will be my downfall!

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2005 06:50:06 AM »

If your fridge isn't magnetic, you could nail an oil drip pan to your wall!  Cheap and cheesy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Organ donation rocks!  Recycle, reuse!
aelphaba
« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2005 06:15:44 PM »

aluminum containers ?

Um maybe Ive heard to much about aluminum and alzheimer's but ....

Undecided

THIS ROCKS   Logged
JakeHazelip
« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2005 03:43:23 AM »

Um maybe Ive heard to much about aluminum and alzheimer's but ....
Drink a can of Coke, lately?

This myth about aluminum being harmful, and alzheimer's specifically, has been around since Rudy Valentino died.  Do a little research.  The world is full of enough real dangers, there's no need to be afraid of the false ones.

http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/valentin.htm

Scientific American: Is there any proof that Alzheimer's disease is related to exposure to aluminum--for instance, by using aluminum frying pans?

Quote from: the sciam.com article
"In the mind of many scientists, if aluminum plays a role it is most probably a secondary one. The reasoning for this position is based on the fact that aluminum is one of the most abundant and pervasive elements. It is found everywhere--it is in the water we drink, it is in the dust we breathe, it is in many of he substances we use every day such as coke in glass bottles, food preservatives, many cosmetics and food dyes. Even if we stop using pots and pans or underarm deodorants, it will be virtually impossible to avoid aluminum. Given this type of exposure of the general population, if aluminum is playing a major role then one would expect the numbers of people affected by Alzheimer's to be much higher than they are found in epidemiological studies."
  (Emphasis mine.)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005 03:50:26 AM by JakeHazelip » THIS ROCKS   Logged
dani24

I am so smart! S-M-R-T....oops! I mean S-M-A-R-T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2005 04:36:11 PM »

No, each tin will not take a whole bottle of spices.  They take about 2/3 so you do have some leftover.  We put the extra into Ziplocs and flatten out the air, and stuff them in a large jar at the (inaccessable) back of the pantry.

We use them lots so we do have to keep refilling, but hey, fashion not always perfect function!

Even better would be to freeze the extra spices (in airtight bags/canisters). That way it will preserve them longer, keeping you from having to replace them or suffer with weakened spices/herbs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moefen
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2005 06:10:58 PM »

Even better would be to freeze the extra spices (in airtight bags/canisters). That way it will preserve them longer, keeping you from having to replace them or suffer with weakened spices/herbs.

Unfortunately, our freezer space is even more precious than shelf space.  But, yeah, it is the best place to store spare spices. 

For freshest spices, its recommended to buy them whole and then grind them just before use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cottoncandymandy
Im in stitches

amazing what you can do with a needle and thread

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2005 07:36:26 PM »

i've bought lots of those tins, in every size from lee valley over the years
what i use the tins for is storing all my jewelry.
(sorry i don't have a pic)
but it's great, because i no longer have to dig through a big box to find what i'm looking for, and nothing gets tangled anymore.  earrings stay in pairs, and necklaces stay untangled.
plus it just looks pretty.

ps:
as far as glue and magnets go, lee valley has some good advice on how to deal with that, what's the best to use, and how to inset magnets into things if you want to do that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Autumn760
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2005 01:34:05 PM »

OMG! That is so cute! I have some in my room on my tack board for my paper clips and all my other school stuff!
The ones that are in the stores are just so expensive. Thanks for the idea.. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scrills
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2005 10:34:33 AM »

I really LOVE this. and since I get my spices from the farmers market 2oz at a time, this is perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ecstasia
Little Girl Lost

I love personal swaps!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2005 04:33:07 PM »

whoa! i hadn't seen that before (even though i do <3 wishingfish). anyhow, my spice rack looks very similar to those, and it has 10 canisters. i am thinking of putting another row right below the first one... but i'm not sure if i will yet. i might use them for something else. i really like the way these look in my kitchen! (i hope these photos aren't too small- i just used the thumbnails.)

on the wall in my kitchen:

and a closeup:

I love the original idea of the spice holders. I have been needing a spice rack forever, but the problem is that I'm such a klutz that knowing me, I'd stumble into the fridge and knock them all off. (Did that once with my magnets and still can't find three of them). But the spice rack with the containers is a great idea as well! And that is something that I wouldn't knock over as easily. Andrenna, do you have a tutorial for the rack you made? Or would you be able to explain it? That would be great to hang in our kitchen!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

megantron
« Reply #99 on: April 18, 2005 11:53:23 PM »

Congrats on the mention in "Jane" magazine
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 19 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Deciding Which Yarn to Use
How to Weave at Ends
How to Make a Slip Knot
How to Do a Purl Stitch
How to Do a Garter Stitch
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...