A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,608
Currently Running With Scissors:
449 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New spice, umm rack, err holders, um spice container solution???  (Read 74049 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project , spice_rack  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

moefen
« on: November 27, 2004 07:21:48 PM »

We have LOTS of spices.  We cook with LOTS of spices.  Our new apartment has a very little kitchen with very little cupboard storage.  So I came up with a different solution to the spice world....  stick 'em on the fridge.

The containers are aluminum watch part tins available in sets of 12 from Lee Valley.  I picked the biggest size (70 mm), and then stuck magnets (cut from a sheet) onto the back.  I would really like to find some stronger magnet and perhaps cement it on, as they do tend to fall off if someone brushes against them.

We wrote the names on the back with marker cause I can't tell what each are just visually...  But I love the way they look on the fridge. Everyone comments on them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flamgirlant
just your average crafty broad

I may be a woman but I ain't no lady

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2004 07:24:59 PM »

That is fabulous -- I love the look!  I'm going to have to get some of those.. my spices are overrunning my kitchen, and this would be the perfect (and stylish) solution!  Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kattghoti
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2004 07:35:13 PM »

That's definitely a great idea!  Silly question, though...  Do the tins hold enough to store the spices from the entire original container?  Or are there still leftovers once the tins are filled (though, I suppose you could just make two tins if you have a lot of one spice!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nekussa

Who invented liquid soap and why?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2004 07:41:31 PM »

I feel your pain about the size of your kitchen and....I absolutely love this idea!!! Who would have thought spices could look so cool...it's art!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moefen
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2004 07:48:34 PM »

No, each tin will not take a whole bottle of spices.  They take about 2/3 so you do have some leftover.  We put the extra into Ziplocs and flatten out the air, and stuff them in a large jar at the (inaccessable) back of the pantry.

We use them lots so we do have to keep refilling, but hey, fashion not always perfect function!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kattghoti
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2004 08:22:00 PM »

Good call!  I was wondering how you'd save space with this if it didn't all fit in a tin...  Never even considered plastic bags!  Silly me  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2004 11:52:32 PM »

that is effing SWEET.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2004 08:13:38 AM »

Wow... that's so cool. Not only for spices, but maybe for paperclips or something small like that. Little candies would work, too. Awesome idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SheezCraftee

I will change my mind on something petty as a whim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2004 08:57:29 AM »

Awesome, looks great!!   Just a suggestion:  You could now get a cheap set of measuring spoons if you don't already have them, put magnets on them, and stick them to the fridge.  Voila!  You'd be ready to go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cottoncandymandy
Im in stitches

amazing what you can do with a needle and thread

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2004 01:49:32 PM »

The containers are aluminum watch part tins available in sets of 12 from Lee Valley.  I picked the biggest size (70 mm), and then stuck magnets (cut from a sheet) onto the back.  I would really like to find some stronger magnet and perhaps cement it on, as they do tend to fall off if someone brushes against them.

If it's stronger magents you're after, Lee Valley is the place to get them.  Their rare earth magnets are tiny, but freakishly strong.  You can do all sorts of fun things with them.  once, at a party, we stuck one to a nail in the celing and hung my entire set of cutlery from it.  metal+supermagnet+creativity=fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...