A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
753 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Opinions, thoughts, criticism! *pattern now available*  (Read 1366 times)
Tags for this thread: halter_top , debbie_bliss_cathay , free_pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NWPlatinum
« on: July 13, 2007 06:09:12 AM »

I've just finished knitting and writing up a pattern for a summer halter top, and my LYS has very kindly offered to put it up on their website for download- it should be available in a few days. There are more pictures and info on my blog, but here's a picture of the front of the halter:

It's my first time writing a pattern and seeing if there'll be interest in something I've designed. A lot of people here have been very good about constructive criticism of patterns offered on the web, so I'd like to ask for that criticism of this top.

With a pattern like this, what are your first thoughts on it? What would you want the pattern to include? Would you be interested in knitting it at all? I love that people on Craftster are very supportive of each other, but don't worry about being "nice" here. I just want some constructive feedback.

Thanks muchly!

(I do apologize if it sounds like I'm asking you to do homework!)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007 02:48:41 PM by NWPlatinum » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Zero Cool
"The two patterns, art and craft, were welded together."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007 06:22:39 AM »

I think that's really great for a first pattern. Nice simple lace pattern but very pretty and delicate. Looks versatile too.
Only criticism I can think of (its just my personal preference really) I think it might look nicer as a camisole, it seems to have quite a lot of decreasing above the bust and it looks a little pointy on the top.
All in all well done cause it is a hard job to design wearable items. Congrats on getting your LYS involved.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pamhkyle
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007 06:29:11 AM »

that's a very nice top (and i'm not just saying that to be kind).
My first thought: I want to knit one! I like the shape of it just fine, the point adds a bit of a special touch.

It' be nice if the lace part was included in the pattern as a chart (if you didn't do that already) and also clearly state what yarn/wool you used & the needle size (and whether its US, metric or another type)
All pretty obvious, but you'd be surprised how many patterns are out there with obscure info on those 2 factors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my friends new etsy shop:
http://Monevor.etsy.com
Mienna
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007 06:37:03 AM »

My first thought to was "I'd make that!" and I'm not usually a fan of lace (charts scare me). I think a good variation would be cami type shape, but the way you have it now it looks like something you'd wear to a dinner party or out clubbing. It's very flattering and I love the way the straps go around the back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blu40
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007 06:53:32 AM »

I think its lovely,i want to knit one for the summer but cant find a decent pattern of one yet.Well done its lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cheryl
cranberry
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007 07:11:34 AM »

It's a cute top, over all I like it, but let me pro and con it.

Pros : clever use of lace/diamond shape and the fact that the cut of the halter top echoes the diamond shape.

The moss stitch is a good addition in that it holds the sides and the botton of the garment down, and yet does not detract from the lace/texture of the top.

Cons: Not so sure about the part where it tapers to (where the string picks up), I wonder if it could have been a bit wider. But then again, if it were, you wouldn't get that whole 'echo' of shape with the diamond and neckline.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
april_cocaine
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007 07:15:00 AM »

I like it alot. The shape is very nice, great for accentuating shoulders. I agree with pamhkyle - don't forget to include needle size. And yarn weight too. I find alot of patterns online don't specify the weight, which I always need as I never use the recommended yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NWPlatinum
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007 09:14:39 AM »

Wow, thanks, guys! This is exactly the kind of feedback I wanted. Keep 'em coming. I'd also like to hear from people who don't like the pattern and would never knit it- why not? Good to learn from everyone.

I'm relieved to say that I've addressed a lot of the issues you guys have come up with on the pattern.

The lace is both charted and written out line-by-line. (It was only a chart at first, but the LYS owners said line-by-line instructions would also be useful, and they're right!)

The "angle" of the halter decreases can also be changed. I wrote up two different sets of instructions. I'm short and -ahem- not blessed in the chest area, so I could get away with "steeper" decreases. For other people, they can use the instructions for standard raglan-style decreases and that would make the top of the halter wider and less pointy.

Thanks again, guys.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007 10:32:03 AM »

That's a beautiful halter top!!! I'm glad you included line-by-line instructions, because that's easier for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
spaghetti
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007 08:02:15 PM »

I really like the top & I'm looking forward to seeing your pattern for it.  I'm not sure that I'll actually knit it -- mostly because I'm not sure I have the confidence to wear it in public.  (Of course, I'm already imagining ways to modify it...so we'll see.  Smiley)  One key thing that I feel is missing in a lot of patterns is a visual schematic with dimensions -- it really helps me a lot to get the big picture before I start knitting.  Congrats on designing your own garment!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Grilled Cheese Sandwich with an Iron
How to Make Beef Jerky
How to Make Cajun Red Beans and Rice
How to Make Chicken and Dumplings
How To Make Eggs over Easy
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...