A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,402
Currently Running With Scissors:
779 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Opinions, thoughts, criticism! *pattern now available*  (Read 1361 times)
Tags for this thread: halter_top , debbie_bliss_cathay , free_pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NWPlatinum
« on: July 13, 2007 06:09:12 AM »

I've just finished knitting and writing up a pattern for a summer halter top, and my LYS has very kindly offered to put it up on their website for download- it should be available in a few days. There are more pictures and info on my blog, but here's a picture of the front of the halter:

It's my first time writing a pattern and seeing if there'll be interest in something I've designed. A lot of people here have been very good about constructive criticism of patterns offered on the web, so I'd like to ask for that criticism of this top.

With a pattern like this, what are your first thoughts on it? What would you want the pattern to include? Would you be interested in knitting it at all? I love that people on Craftster are very supportive of each other, but don't worry about being "nice" here. I just want some constructive feedback.

Thanks muchly!

(I do apologize if it sounds like I'm asking you to do homework!)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007 02:48:41 PM by NWPlatinum » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Zero Cool
"The two patterns, art and craft, were welded together."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007 06:22:39 AM »

I think that's really great for a first pattern. Nice simple lace pattern but very pretty and delicate. Looks versatile too.
Only criticism I can think of (its just my personal preference really) I think it might look nicer as a camisole, it seems to have quite a lot of decreasing above the bust and it looks a little pointy on the top.
All in all well done cause it is a hard job to design wearable items. Congrats on getting your LYS involved.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pamhkyle
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007 06:29:11 AM »

that's a very nice top (and i'm not just saying that to be kind).
My first thought: I want to knit one! I like the shape of it just fine, the point adds a bit of a special touch.

It' be nice if the lace part was included in the pattern as a chart (if you didn't do that already) and also clearly state what yarn/wool you used & the needle size (and whether its US, metric or another type)
All pretty obvious, but you'd be surprised how many patterns are out there with obscure info on those 2 factors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my friends new etsy shop:
http://Monevor.etsy.com
Mienna
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007 06:37:03 AM »

My first thought to was "I'd make that!" and I'm not usually a fan of lace (charts scare me). I think a good variation would be cami type shape, but the way you have it now it looks like something you'd wear to a dinner party or out clubbing. It's very flattering and I love the way the straps go around the back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blu40
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007 06:53:32 AM »

I think its lovely,i want to knit one for the summer but cant find a decent pattern of one yet.Well done its lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cheryl
cranberry
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007 07:11:34 AM »

It's a cute top, over all I like it, but let me pro and con it.

Pros : clever use of lace/diamond shape and the fact that the cut of the halter top echoes the diamond shape.

The moss stitch is a good addition in that it holds the sides and the botton of the garment down, and yet does not detract from the lace/texture of the top.

Cons: Not so sure about the part where it tapers to (where the string picks up), I wonder if it could have been a bit wider. But then again, if it were, you wouldn't get that whole 'echo' of shape with the diamond and neckline.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
april_cocaine
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007 07:15:00 AM »

I like it alot. The shape is very nice, great for accentuating shoulders. I agree with pamhkyle - don't forget to include needle size. And yarn weight too. I find alot of patterns online don't specify the weight, which I always need as I never use the recommended yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NWPlatinum
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007 09:14:39 AM »

Wow, thanks, guys! This is exactly the kind of feedback I wanted. Keep 'em coming. I'd also like to hear from people who don't like the pattern and would never knit it- why not? Good to learn from everyone.

I'm relieved to say that I've addressed a lot of the issues you guys have come up with on the pattern.

The lace is both charted and written out line-by-line. (It was only a chart at first, but the LYS owners said line-by-line instructions would also be useful, and they're right!)

The "angle" of the halter decreases can also be changed. I wrote up two different sets of instructions. I'm short and -ahem- not blessed in the chest area, so I could get away with "steeper" decreases. For other people, they can use the instructions for standard raglan-style decreases and that would make the top of the halter wider and less pointy.

Thanks again, guys.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007 10:32:03 AM »

That's a beautiful halter top!!! I'm glad you included line-by-line instructions, because that's easier for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
spaghetti
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007 08:02:15 PM »

I really like the top & I'm looking forward to seeing your pattern for it.  I'm not sure that I'll actually knit it -- mostly because I'm not sure I have the confidence to wear it in public.  (Of course, I'm already imagining ways to modify it...so we'll see.  Smiley)  One key thing that I feel is missing in a lot of patterns is a visual schematic with dimensions -- it really helps me a lot to get the big picture before I start knitting.  Congrats on designing your own garment!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Ultimate Smudge Proof Eyeliner
Lauren Conrad Joins Us for a Quick Beauty Gossip
How To Get A Defined Nude Lip
How To Make Lipstick Last All Day
Getting Rid Of Puffiness And Circles Under The Eyes
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...