A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,506
Currently Running With Scissors:
492 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! Making 13 dwarf costumes; need instructions for beard-making!  (Read 1712 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MindWhore

Believe it or not, I do have a nose.

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2004 06:42:23 PM »

I'm going to be in The Hobbit, for children's theater. I signed up (gladly) to be on costume duty, as well as play a dwarf (I'm by no means masculine, but when 75% of your cast is female and there is only one female part, you have to settle). Unfortunatly, I realized today that there are a lot of costumes. It would be no trouble, but I have to make beards of various colors, all at least waist-length.

Do any of you have any ideas on what materials to use to make it look realistic (...enough to please 7 year-olds, that is)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
a besoin de parler
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004 12:02:03 PM »

The only thing I can think of is that super-curly doll hair that comes in little plastic baggies in the doll-making section of craft stores.  That being said, I have no idea how much it costs, so this could turn into an expensive endeavor.  I do know that you can brush it out to fluff it up, and you can dye it using RIT, too.  So if you tease it a lot, it could look beardly.

Then again, the dwarves in the hobbit have very long beards, like you said, and most of them are partially braided or have things woven into them.  I think using a lot of cheap acrylic yarn would work well, too.  If you have the patience or the help to unravel each strand of yarn, it will get really fluffy and beardly quickly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MindWhore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004 02:30:31 PM »

I'll look in to it. May have to make Justin ( Wink) help me out. It's nice having cheap labor... All I have to do is keep him fed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
atlascoughed

Sometimes I don't make anything but a mess.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004 09:17:16 PM »

Do you have a Sally Beauty supply store near you? (Or an "ethnic" hair store- one that caters to women of more color than my pasty Scandinavian rear) If so, try the fake hair they have. A big bag for 2$. Many colors. It's very fluffy/kinky, too, because it's made to mimic African hair (though I'm not sure it does- mimics big honkin' goth hair on me, though).   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anything I can reach I do myself.

Una Luna on Etsy. Home of the Alphacreatures!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5443049

Diary of the Long Winded as AtlasCoughed on LJ: http://atlascoughed.livejournal.com/
MindWhore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004 07:33:35 AM »

That is a great idea! I never even thought about going there. The only problem would be finding light enough hair to dye light blue. I wonder if you can bleach it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
atlascoughed

Sometimes I don't make anything but a mess.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004 02:40:34 PM »

If you can find human hair, it often comes in some shade of blonde. Usually it's on a weft- all sewn together at the top- which could be a bonus or a big pain. Unfortunately, it's usually kinda straight/silky, so you'd have to curl or crimp it for a different texture, and it's more expensive than kanekalon or synthetic hair.

If you want synthetic hair (much cheaper and fluffier) that's light blue, check here: http://www.drlocks.net/straight_braiding_hair.htm

Check the colors on the kanekalon or synthetic jumbo braid. They've got all sorts of crazy colors, and it's cheeeep. They may have a light blue. Shipping is pretty reasonable, too.

BTW, for non-hair freaks: kanekalon hair can be "set" with heat. You can steam it or hit it with a blowdryer to get it to hold it's shape. Synthetic won't do this. (But the jumbo braid is already pretty textured- doubt much styling would be needed for beards.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anything I can reach I do myself.

Una Luna on Etsy. Home of the Alphacreatures!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5443049

Diary of the Long Winded as AtlasCoughed on LJ: http://atlascoughed.livejournal.com/
MindWhore

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004 08:37:40 PM »

Baby blue? How perfect! That site is great, Atlascoughed. Everything is so reasonable. I'll have to order some as a sample.

-Elizabeth
THIS ROCKS   Logged
a besoin de parler
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2004 02:33:19 PM »

That's so neat, I never even thought of that.  It's perfect.

Best of luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2004 06:24:18 PM »

Good luck, sounds like a fun time Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Flaming Text in Gimp
How to Change the Film Speed in Windows Movie Maker
How to Change the Audio of Your Videos in Windows Movie Maker
Turn Yourself Into a Vampire in Gimp
How to Use Mario Paint Composer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...