A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
392 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mei Tai baby sling  (Read 3041 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mtblaura
« on: July 12, 2007 06:58:12 PM »

This is my first post...so here goes....
I made a Mei Tai ("May Tie") for carrying my daughter around the house. She is about 5 mos. and sitting up now, and my baby bjorn and pouch slings have gotten just too heavy.
I loosely followed these directions: http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/asian.html but made several changes to the design.

You can see my pictures of the project here since this website won't allow me to post pictures yet:

First, I added a pocket on the back with a key clip and toy loop. I made these from thin binding and pilfered the clip from an old camelbak.

Second, I had one continuous waist strap that goes through the entire bottom of the mei tai. I also pulled this from the old camelbak and wrapped it in batting, then fabric, to make a nice padded strap. Third, I made the inside from a quilted poly fabric, mostly b/c that was what I had, but also for extra comfort for baby.

And she seems to be comfy! You can use a Mei Tai for a front or back carry, and so far, both are pretty comfy.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2011 11:38:45 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
tsarnicholas
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007 10:18:32 PM »

great job!  this is my favouritest baby carrier ever--so comfy, even for bigger kids.  i like the quilted bit, must feel cushy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wowxoxo
:) Well behaved women rarely make history ~ Marilyn Monroe

sewing = love

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007 07:52:41 AM »

SOoooo cute!(baby and the carrier!)[/size][/color]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myspace.com/teddybearcrossing
cheytown
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007 07:54:40 AM »

that looks comfy! great job! thanks for posting the link to the tutorial. i'd love to make one of these if/when we have another baby.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Caine
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007 09:16:34 AM »

Let me join the chorus ... it is beautiful and snuggly looking too! Love the idea of adding the toy clip and pocket. I can see how that could really free you up to get out and go around!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dakarimom5
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007 10:31:13 AM »

I just found this site and yours was the first post I've read. Your MT looks awesome I just wanted to make sure that you stitched the straps in with an X in a box or triple stitched them for safety. Also, the straps should be made from bottom weight fabric. I made a podegi and my straps were linen and ripped.

Good job mama.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CryPixie83
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007 04:42:01 PM »

I love Mei Tais! I need to make dh a more manly one since the one he wears ds in is pink striped  Grin

I love yours! It looks great!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mtblaura
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007 09:02:05 AM »

Yeah, the straps are triple-stitched: they are sewn into the main seam, then I did 2-3 rows of zig-zag overtop for strength. I think the straps are bottomweight, they are of a very tight-weave fabric, but I forgot to say if you make one of these, be sure to check your seams, straps, and fabric every time you put it on - just to be on the safe side. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laminathegreat
Queen of the Universe

Is not here.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007 09:24:05 AM »

I adore my mei tai- and I just LOVE your changes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jutybo
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007 06:27:21 PM »

Great job!!  I just finished my first one as well, but after two failed attempts at making a pleated, zippered (what was I thinking) pocket, I'd love to know how you did yours!  (I couldn't tell from the pics- does it open from the side?) 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Devyn from Maximum Ride
How to Draw Dorothy from Dorothy of Oz
AOL Motion Canvas: Rezeption
Using Selective White Balance Controls in Camera Raw
How to Draw Dracula from Hotel Transylvania
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...