A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 304,867
Currently Running With Scissors:
438 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mei Tai baby sling  (Read 3076 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mtblaura
« on: July 12, 2007 06:58:12 PM »

This is my first post...so here goes....
I made a Mei Tai ("May Tie") for carrying my daughter around the house. She is about 5 mos. and sitting up now, and my baby bjorn and pouch slings have gotten just too heavy.
I loosely followed these directions: http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/asian.html but made several changes to the design.

You can see my pictures of the project here since this website won't allow me to post pictures yet:

First, I added a pocket on the back with a key clip and toy loop. I made these from thin binding and pilfered the clip from an old camelbak.

Second, I had one continuous waist strap that goes through the entire bottom of the mei tai. I also pulled this from the old camelbak and wrapped it in batting, then fabric, to make a nice padded strap. Third, I made the inside from a quilted poly fabric, mostly b/c that was what I had, but also for extra comfort for baby.

And she seems to be comfy! You can use a Mei Tai for a front or back carry, and so far, both are pretty comfy.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2011 11:38:45 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
tsarnicholas
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007 10:18:32 PM »

great job!  this is my favouritest baby carrier ever--so comfy, even for bigger kids.  i like the quilted bit, must feel cushy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wowxoxo
:) Well behaved women rarely make history ~ Marilyn Monroe

sewing = love

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007 07:52:41 AM »

SOoooo cute!(baby and the carrier!)[/size][/color]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

myspace.com/teddybearcrossing
cheytown
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007 07:54:40 AM »

that looks comfy! great job! thanks for posting the link to the tutorial. i'd love to make one of these if/when we have another baby.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Caine
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007 09:16:34 AM »

Let me join the chorus ... it is beautiful and snuggly looking too! Love the idea of adding the toy clip and pocket. I can see how that could really free you up to get out and go around!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dakarimom5
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007 10:31:13 AM »

I just found this site and yours was the first post I've read. Your MT looks awesome I just wanted to make sure that you stitched the straps in with an X in a box or triple stitched them for safety. Also, the straps should be made from bottom weight fabric. I made a podegi and my straps were linen and ripped.

Good job mama.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CryPixie83
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007 04:42:01 PM »

I love Mei Tais! I need to make dh a more manly one since the one he wears ds in is pink striped  Grin

I love yours! It looks great!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mtblaura
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007 09:02:05 AM »

Yeah, the straps are triple-stitched: they are sewn into the main seam, then I did 2-3 rows of zig-zag overtop for strength. I think the straps are bottomweight, they are of a very tight-weave fabric, but I forgot to say if you make one of these, be sure to check your seams, straps, and fabric every time you put it on - just to be on the safe side. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
laminathegreat
Queen of the Universe

Is not here.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007 09:24:05 AM »

I adore my mei tai- and I just LOVE your changes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jutybo
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007 06:27:21 PM »

Great job!!  I just finished my first one as well, but after two failed attempts at making a pleated, zippered (what was I thinking) pocket, I'd love to know how you did yours!  (I couldn't tell from the pics- does it open from the side?) 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Watch, Pass, or Rent: Green Lantern
10 Hottest Vampires and Werewolves of 2011
Thor Premiere
How to Write Action Descriptions on a Film Script
A Guide to Crack a Whip Like Indiana Jones
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...