A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,031
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: apron dress  (Read 1492 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ebeth
« on: July 11, 2007 01:57:56 PM »

here is the latest dress that i made my little one...i made the pattern up myself from an existing dress (that was my mom's when she was a baby)...and i thought i measured and did it all exactly...but a few little bits were off....i am mostly happy with it...but i want to try again to fix a few things....so maybe you more experienced seamstresses can help me trouble shoot...i would really appreciate it if you can Smiley

the biggest problem i have with it is that once i put it on her the top ruffle keeps flipping down...my 2 best guesses are: 1- its too "tall" of a ruffle (it ended up about am 1/8-1/4" taller than the original) or 2 - it is too tightly gathered (these were my very first attempts at making ruffles)...

if i need to, i will try to get better photos, im not sure you can see from these...its right at her chin area that it always flips....oh wait....here's one...

thanks for taking a look Smiley
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007 02:00:01 PM by ebeth » THIS ROCKS   Logged

i do personal swaps...  check out my admired objects www.wists.com/ebeth
tinab363
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007 02:02:45 PM »

What a precious baby!!  The dress is adorable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Grandbabies are called grandbabies because they are GRAND!
gilliam0128
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007 02:06:02 PM »

Such a cute dress!!  Great job.  I love the style of it.  Pretty cool and comfy I'll bet.

As far as the ruffle, I'm with you.  I think the ruffle may just be a little tall.  It also may be a little high up (her little chin may be knocking it down.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mienna
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007 02:06:29 PM »

Love the dress, I'd wear it... if it were a weeeee (ok.. who'm I lying to?) a lot bigger. Cheesy Your baby looks like she loves it, hehe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ebeth
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007 02:29:16 PM »

thanks for the compliments....it was fun to make
As far as the ruffle, I'm with you.  I think the ruffle may just be a little tall.  It also may be a little high up (her little chin may be knocking it down.)

i do have to make the shoulder straps longer (it was the longest piece of fabric that i had, so i guess i will have to piece on extra length)...unfortunately, the ruffle problem isnt that easy...even when i uncross the straps to give extra length (and then just just fall down all the time) so that its not up at her chin...it still flips down Sad
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007 03:12:52 PM by ebeth » THIS ROCKS   Logged

njtomboy
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007 03:00:13 PM »

no suggestions.. but AWWWW - she is as adorable as her new little outfit - too cute!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheytown
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007 03:05:19 PM »

adorable dress and adorable kid. Smiley

as far as the ruffle problem, i'm not so experienced with these things either, but if i had to guess i'd say it's too tall - her chin is hitting it and/or the stiffness/weight of the fabric can't support it standing up like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
__themidge
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007 04:23:52 PM »

The dress is cute, but not nearly as cute as your daughter!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jutybo
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007 06:39:51 PM »

Whoa- that's really cool!  I've never seen a dress like that before.  How do the straps tie in the back?  Do the "waist" straps tie to each other and the top parts tie like a halter, or do they cross over and one neck-tie ties to one waist-tie??
Looking at the picture of the dress it really does look like an apron, but on your total cutie pie it looks just like a dress and not apron-y at all.  Very cool. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ebeth
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007 09:00:33 PM »

thanks! my grandma made the original one for my mom when she was a baby, i imagine that she used a pattern... the shoulder straps crisscross and the button to the "skirt" and the waist ones tie at the back...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sew a Dress
What Is Glass Art
What to Do If Thread Is Caught in Your Sewing Machine
The History of Hand Blown Glass
How to Make Better Flower Arrangements
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...