A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,806
Currently Running With Scissors:
549 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Christmas gift for Dad  (Read 1549 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

themonkey
« on: November 27, 2004 05:28:53 PM »

Well, I don't really know what my dad really likes. I don't see him too much, but I do know that he works a lot: he likes to fix things and work outside in the yard. Other than that I don't know anything he really enjoys. Sad I know, but when I get to see him he's usually working. He's not really into anything technical, I guess he likes to read in some of his free-time. Maybe you could give me some suggestions for an "in a box" thing for readers? That would be so helpful. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Inanimate cone! Who are you dating?"
themonkey
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2004 06:17:14 PM »

Ok, I've got a couple of things for the "in a box" idea in case anyone was interested. bookmarks (obviously), a notebook to write down thoughts and pencils/pens/hilighters. That doesn't seem like quite enough. Any suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Heatherb
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004 06:42:44 AM »

Here's some more ideas for you box:

Travel Flashlight
those little heat packets you can get for hockey games
new keychain
puzzle book
a little level for little projects
new tape measure
new ice scraper for car - depends where you live, might not need one of these Smiley

Hope those help!
Heather
THIS ROCKS   Logged
darcidoodle

Don't let your karma hit your dogma!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004 09:15:29 AM »

My Dad's tough to shop/craft for as well, but I've found that when I make him things, he really digs it. Since your Pops likes to putter (as does mine) if you can knit, a nice, yummy scarf, maybe made from Lion Brand Homespun (quick and supersoft!) with fringe is lovely. A galpal of mine has the same "Dad's hard to shop for" problem, too, so she made him a little book, where, over the course of the year, he could fill in blanks regarding great gift ideas for him. Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookgirl
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004 07:17:34 AM »

Another "in a box" idea is to throw in one of those page a day calendars -- they make some specifically for readers that list a new book every day.  I got one years ago and found a lot of wonderful books because of it.  Also, a gift certificate to a local bookstore is always appreciated.  Or maybe a subscription to the New York Review of Books (http://www.nybooks.com/subscriptions) or the New York Times Book Review (if he doesn't already get the Sunday NYTimes every week, of course!: http://www.nytimes.com/membercenter/faq/books.html#booksqa1).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dansk
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004 09:25:59 AM »

If he reads a lot, maybe he would like an armchair caddy to keep his current book in. You could make a compartment for glasses or a remote control in it also. Here is a link to some instructions: http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/ah_organizing_other/article/0,1801,HGTV_3138_1378822,00.html

But there are many kinds if you do a google search. Also you can make them much more masculine with your choice of fabrics (most seem to be weird florals, ugh!). You could also embroider his initials on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
themonkey
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2004 08:02:16 PM »

Thanks for the ideas guys! I'll check that stuff out. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Dry Shampoo
How to Easily Stop Frizzy and Static Hair
Celebrity Stylist Ken Paves Low Cost Tips for High-End Hair
How to Maintain Hair Extensions
Hairapy Ep 103: Angel
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...