A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
570 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: our handmade 7/7/07 wedding  (Read 15629 times)
Tags for this thread: favors , day_of_the_dead , dia_de_los_muertos  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

*MAR*
« on: July 12, 2007 12:20:30 PM »

[photo album link added, see below]

(I'll add shots to this as I get the pro-pics, by C. Parker McMullen Bushman)

So, our day has come and gone, but it was captured by the Sun Times, for their Sunday paper, see photo gallery:
 http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/460091,CST-NWS-lucky08.article

I was my own wedding planner, we did this wedding on a tiny, tiny budget.

First of all, I wore my Mom's dress from 1962. She altered it for me.
[/b]

Here are the two lovely ladies who made this dress to begin with. My Grandma and my Mom. You can see our paper poms and cut out paper bag flowers decorating the old Chicago chain link fence behind us. (and my sunburn....)

We did a canoe processional into the ceremony. My (two) matrons of honour, my mother and even my photographer helped make our bouquets and all the bouts. My sister and I went to the wholesale flower market and picked out & bought all the flowers for the ceremony and the reception.

Here's a good shot of our flowers as we laugh hysterically.

Our "theme" was cherry blossoms. I used this wood sign at the ceremony site, the river prairie, to lead guests to the basket of programs and handfans, and put a welcome message on here.

I will find a picture of the handfans, with "thank you" tags, we made, and the ceremony programs we created, and put it here.
**insert pic**

We decorated each table at the reception with framed photos of our guest's wedding photos. I did it so that people would mingle and ask who was who and people could get to know each other. FYI, people thought they were supposed to sit in front of their photos. Not the case! As I hate assigned seating at weddings. So, that needed to be explained better. ah well.

Here's our "card cage", we just bought one from JoAnn's, I then decorated it with birds, made a sign for it, and placed the Dia De Los Muertes figures my sister brought me back from Mexico for my shower present, in front of it. (My birthday is the same day as the Day of the Dead, and I am a bit obsessed with it.)

Here's a "detail" of the paper poms and small, self-illuminated lanterns. They still look good after a long day of being beaten about by wind! I am not sure how many of these Heather and I made, it was ALOT!

This is how all the fences looked:

A dear friend came out and built wood structures, and hung canvas drop clothes on them to create a cozy atmosphere and to cover some of the junk out on the back concrete slab where we had all the tables. We strung the laterns from fishing line around the outside.

My friends did an arial acrobatic performance for us. It was amazing. She designs and makes her gear. It is amazing. Absolutely stunning performance!

We handpainted the entire gallery for the day. There was a gorgeous blue wash put on the floor, and the walls were painted ice blue with a wash, gold tree branches and pink cherry blossoms. You can see a tiny bit of it in this shot, as my pals Tijuana Hercules play a set for us!

This is a shot of the Swedish Pecan favours all wrapped up and ready to go to the gallery:

Some of our Out of Town baskets and foot baths, ready to go to the hotel:

Presents! Gifts for our bridal party, my honey, parents, etc. We used recycled kraft paper bags, decorated them with stamps, used the same green tissue in each, and most of them I put a bouquet of velvet pink hydrangeas on. The bridesmaids were filled with pink clutches, pashminas, jewelry that I made for both of them, handfans, parasols, lipstick cases with mirrors, chapstick, and essentials.

Our cd favours were a big hit:

And I did fix the "mementos" on this collage, i just never got a new shot of it:

I covered dollar store match books with pretty Graham & Snow cherry blossom paper. These were a big hit too, everyone took them home.

I'll add more as I get them, but this gives you a taste of the crazy day!

Modified to add photo album: http://www.mypublisher.com/bookstore/book_viewer.py?order_id=M379129&sp=x

I made this photo album for my Mom, as a thank you for all her hard work and care. I really have to rave about MyPublisher, because it is a cool program and you can get two books for the price of one! A great deal when you're doing a wedding on a tiny budget, like us. I hope to get an album done for DH and I when we get done with our Michigan reception and get pictures from that too. I am trying to decide on a scrapbooked album or one like I made for my Mom. I don't know, they were so innexpensive, I may just do both. The only thing it really cost me was time (nine hours spent going through photos, uploading, laying them out, etc.), but it was worth it. I did this on line Monday, and I got it in the mail today! Can you believe it?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007 10:52:43 AM by *MAR* - Reason: added link to photo album » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007 12:29:58 PM »

Wow, wow, wow!  I looked through and read everything, but now I'll have to go back through and absorb everything!  You already know I think everything you've made is beautiful, but just to remind you... beautiful!!

Aerial acrobatics, too!  How fun!  Emilyflew does that and it just amazes me (in her avatar!). Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
Mienna
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007 12:32:16 PM »

It's beautiful! What a fantastic wedding!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melissafairy08
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007 12:33:56 PM »

Love it!! Weddings on small budgets are always better (in my opinion). Who needs $20 grand when you have a creative spirit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet.
Dawn Octopus
I wish I had 8 tentacles.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007 12:48:06 PM »

I said it before, and I will say it again, awesome dress! And I am so glad that your Grandma got to see you wear it Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud pre-adoptive Mother Smiley
ninjanator
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007 01:03:34 PM »

everything looks so lovely! And I can't believe you handpainted that gallery :O must have been quite a lot of work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
EmilyFlew
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

..sweets4ever is so rad..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007 01:06:24 PM »

Oh my goodness, it's all so amazing!! I love the canoe processional and the aerial acrobatics--so awesome!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

technocutie, handmade iPod cases and felt accoutrements
thoughts and days.

I <3 the mod squad ladies!
*MAR*
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007 01:08:35 PM »

everything looks so lovely! And I can't believe you handpainted that gallery :O must have been quite a lot of work.

Luckily, that is what I do for a living. So, I had my girls with me! We had painted the blue a month ago for another show, and they did the branches. Then, Elena did the wash on the floor. Just last week, Andrea came back in and worked for 4 hours painstakingly hand painting each of the cherry blossoms. I really hope we have some good shots of that with the pro-pics. I tried my best to document everything along the way, but towards the end, it got so hectic that I had no time to be a photojournalist, I just had to be a grunt!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dopey_44
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007 01:10:21 PM »

wow everything came out very nice, you did an outstanding job. and congrats on your nuptials
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/dopey44/

http://www.wists.com/dopey_44

love to spoil when i swap Smiley
i also LOVE popcorn mmmm Popcorn
*MAR*
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007 01:11:16 PM »

Oh my goodness, it's all so amazing!! I love the canoe processional and the aerial acrobatics--so awesome!!!

Thank you! I got alot of grief for wanting to do that canoe processional, but I just wouldn't BUDGE on the idea.

I am really lucky to know some beautiful, creative souls, that either played music, painted/decorated, or did high flying aerial acrobatics at the reception! I hear that aerial acrobatics are your bag too! That is awesome! I think my friends should market themselves to the wedding set, as everyone was so amazed and giddy about the performance! It really was special.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Cheese Soufflé with Bacon-Arugula Salad
KD101: Slow Cooker White Bean Chicken Chili
How to Make the Perfect Fried Egg in a Cast Iron Skillet
Deion Sanders Makes Chicken and Dumplings
How to Make Forest Floor Roasted Pears with Burrata and Basil
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...