A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,684
Currently Running With Scissors:
630 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jr's Dream  (Read 851 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

uruguayan

Makes me sleepy.....

View Profile WWW
« on: March 30, 2007 01:22:50 PM »

One of my best friends Grandpa has terminal cancer and his last wish is to go to New Mexico. Her family is planning on a road trip there for the summer, they're going to rent an RV and go. My friend and I want to raise money for this and don't really know where to start. I was thinking about selling crafts on line explaining the cause, but I don't know what I could sell. It's sad to see my friend with tears in her eyes in the middle of class and I really want to help her with this. Please Help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Funny how life is huh? you think you know exactly what to put in your siggy, yet you don't really know........
uruguayan

Makes me sleepy.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007 03:31:50 PM »

PLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEE EAAAAAASSSSSSEEEEEE EEEE?Huh? ANYONE??? I'm having a really tough time coping with it myself, I've never actually been so close to someone affected by the illness, I Really Want to help her!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Funny how life is huh? you think you know exactly what to put in your siggy, yet you don't really know........
mintbamboo
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007 03:35:44 PM »

maybe try selling them at your school? that way other people who know your friend will have a chance to buy... they are more likely to buy. a girl at my school did something similar for her uncle who needed a double lung transplant, but she sold simple ribbons she made her self. everyone was willing to pitch in
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm your fool
uruguayan

Makes me sleepy.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007 03:37:13 PM »

thank you, I don't know of any simple stuff to sell though, everytime I think of something it's a) too complicated or B) too expensive. We were also thinking of a bake sale....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skizzlemonsterrawr

MizCrmpit at your service

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007 11:21:26 PM »

maybe crafts would be hard to sell is what im thinking...but i think a bake sell would work out nicely.  everyone likes brownies and cookies and you would still be making them so it would still come from your heart
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emcmillin
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007 06:44:04 AM »

Oh, you are such a sweetie. It's so great to hear people wanting to help someone like your friend's grandpa.

I think that a bake sale would be an excellent idea! I'm not sure what your school is like, so I can't offer too much advice in how you could go about selling your stuff; however, I know that teachers are usually always willing to buy stuff for kids in need (or kids doing stuff for others in need!). And, hey, who doesn't like brownies and cookies and such?! Cheesy

What sorts of crafts can you and your friends do? I'm sure that there's something that you can come up that you could also make to try to sell. Post back with what sorts of skills/resources you have!

Your story really touches a place in my heart, and I hope that you and your friends can do all that you wish to do for him!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cody
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007 11:50:24 AM »

I've done my fair share of bake sales for charity, and the more you explain the cause the more people will buy. I had one girl pay $20 for a muffin, and another woman pay $5 for a cup of fruit salad because they were so moved.

Be sure to check with your school first, though! We ran into trouble because of a wellness policy, but enough begging and pleading did the job. I'd check with the local library, local church and community festivals, and grocery stores to see if they'd be willing to let you set up camp.

I've found the best way to do a bake sale is first from the heart, second from the stomach, and third from the eye. My bake sale helpers were artists too, so things on the table looked as great as they tasted. Be sure to invest some time in that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennygurl
He knows me better than I know myself

Smile til it hurts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007 10:04:01 AM »

What about having a "yard Sale"? Not really selling stuff from your home but the afforementioned items, some simple crafts, and some drinks since it'll be hot i'm assuming, and getting your neighborhood involved. IE you have a huge neighborhood yard sale, your lawn is full of the crafts and goodies, and have your friends and family and neighbors make things that you can sell, to where the proceeds go directly to the trip fund.
First you'll need to advertise. Get it in the paper, the Pennysaver, the local grocery stores, post up flyers a week in advance, go online to local websites posting community events-most of these things you can do for free!
 So lets say your neighbors are selling their home items to get rid of, well that brings in more people alone instead of just you selling your stuff. So then they see all these housewares and stroll onto your pad. Then they notice a huge sign" Help my friend's last dream come true" Tell them about why you are doing all this and people will become "Invested". So they'll be more likely to give err buy.
You can sell your baked goods, you can sell small things like- bookmarks, easy seed bead jewelry such as necklaces and bracelets, you can make coasters, magnets, button hair ties- I did a tutorial on this somewhere if you want I can pm it to you, simple head bands-you can take large sized ones and wrap billowy material around it like the ones you see with scarves attached. You can look online and all over craftster to get ideas. Also I would go to stores such as boutiques or restaurants, friends, neighbors ask them to donate things and let them know what your cause is. If they donate tell them their things will be sold at your yard sale and all the proceeds will benefit the trip. Tell them that if the goal is met you will give them a picture and letter informing them of how his trip went and thanking them for their participation. Don't limit yourself. Think big, get people involved, ask your parents, your older siblings, your aunts your uncles. if you are serious about this let people know ask them to network for you. If you act like this is big it will be big. GOOD LUCK!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"As for me, I will see Your face in righteousness; I shall be satisfied when I awake in Your likeness" Psalm 17:15
http://beautymania.ecrater.com/-beauty on a budget
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Money as a Stand Up Artists
Women in Comedy
The Importance Of Delivery in Comedy
Appearing on Television as a Comedian
Learn About the Comedy Club Host
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...