A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,085
Currently Running With Scissors:
702 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: plaid Elvis pleats (lots o' pics)  (Read 10193 times)
Tags for this thread: elvis , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tuff_as_snails

I will flim flam the day lights out of you!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007 09:34:19 PM »

thanks everybody! Smiley

You should post more!!! I love all your stuff!
sadly, i HAVE posted all my stuff. did i mention how slooooooow i am? i have no idea how y'all crank this stuff out! i've been accusing people of having otherworldly minions to do their sewing at night, and i'm beginning to have my suspicions about you too, missymiss. Wink

Haha Im just an insaine insomniac, and I dont get out much in the summer, texas heat is HORRIBLE!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Caine
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007 10:16:44 PM »

the placket! the placket!

This is wonderful, simply super ... humorous and still so pretty!

I am amazed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
norahkate
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007 01:47:21 PM »

Haha Im just an insaine insomniac, and I dont get out much in the summer, texas heat is HORRIBLE!!!!!
i know what you mean, you should try an 8 month wisconsin winter!
and i have some elvis fabric too, i got it out of the remnant bin (but there was 1.5 yds and then i went back for more) thinking it was just bright polka-dots, only to get home and find the king.  not sure what to do with it yet, but that's adorable!
how do you do those pleats?  because i'm pleat-illiterate  (and maybe just plain illiterate, i have no idea how to spell that word!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for baby food jars (or other small jars with lids)
cheytown
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007 03:29:56 PM »

...but that's adorable!
how do you do those pleats?  because i'm pleat-illiterate  (and maybe just plain illiterate, i have no idea how to spell that word!)
thanks! i believe they are called "box pleats." there are probably tutes already, but since i took some pics and because i'm procrastinating on doing a bunch of other stuff, i'll see if i can explain how i did it...

Step 1 -
Cut up your existing skirt pattern. I wanted 3 pleats, so I needed to find and mark the middle. Since my pattern wasn't a simple rectangle, to find the middle, I simply folded the center edge in at the top to meet the seam line, creased it, then unfolded it. Then the same at the bottom. Then I drew a line connecting the top middle and bottom middle. I hope that makes sense. (Also, to clarify, in my pic, "CENTER" is the edge to place on the fold.)

Step 2 - Cut your pattern apart and cut 2 of each piece out of your skirt fabric, leaving extra for seam allowance where needed. Make sure to cut mirror image pieces either by flipping over pattern or cutting 2 at once out of folded fabric. I used pins to remind myself which edge was the top and which pieces went in the center.

Step 3 -
Cut 3 rectangles of contrasting fabric the same width and roughly the same height as the pieces you've already cut.

Step 4 - Sew all the pieces together at the sides.  Make sure you get them in the right order. It's pretty obvious, but because I somehow don't have a photo I'll spell it out: left side piece, contrasting fabric, center left, contrasting fabric, center right, contrasting fabric, right side.

Step 5 - Fold each pleat along the seam lines so that the edges of your skirt fabric meet in the middle of the contrasting piece, hiding the contrasting piece. Sorry, I somehow failed to get a pic of this, too. Anyway, then you baste it all and go along with making your skirt/dress as usual.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missmonkeymae
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007 06:48:53 PM »

Ok, cheytown, git yer tute on that tute list! BTW, thanks for compiling that list of tutes.  It's a great dress with a funky suprise in the box pleats.  We all need to shake things up a bit don't 'cha think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mtblaura
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007 07:11:28 PM »

I love it - you totally mixed those patterns very well. It's funky in a cute kinda way, and thanks for the tute on pleats.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tuff_as_snails

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2007 07:56:45 PM »

I was fabric gorging at the craft store the other day and I saw Elvis fabric, I was SO tempted to buy some because of this dress!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Caine
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2007 07:12:10 AM »

the tute the tute! i salute your tute!

and the dress ... i just keep looking at it, i must confess!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Caine
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2007 11:50:25 PM »

I have just been to the dreaded Mart of Wal and procured some Elvis fabric, in green and blue, to be precise! Wither Elvis Fabric? I wonder... but I cannot wait to see where else (he) it shows up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tuff_as_snails

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007 02:32:34 AM »

the tute the tute! i salute your tute!

and the dress ... i just keep looking at it, i must confess!

HAha this is my thrid time looking at this dress!! I didnt even see your tute cheytown! I must try!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Plumping Your Lips With Peppermint Oil
A Simple Drink You Can Make to Help Reduce Bloating
Camila Alves Helps You Look Like an A-List Star
Kendall Jenner Makeup Tutorial
How to Get Healthy, Dewy Skin That Glows
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...