A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,794
Currently Running With Scissors:
422 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Men's Knit Hoodie  (Read 1908 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
Bunny in a Bear
« on: July 11, 2007 03:03:48 PM »

Has anyone seen any good paterns for a men's knit hoodie.  I really want to make one for myself, but I'm not finding too much in the line of knit hoodies, let alone any for a guy Tongue

I really like the look of Rogue.  It's very elvish, however it might also be far too feminine, plus it doesn't have men's sizes.  I really want to make something that has some pizzaz and really looks interesting.  I am a beginner but I'm willing to try hard and figure things out as I go along, so I'm all for a complicated pattern.  Plus I'll feed it and walk it everyday Wink

If anyone has any suggestions or thoughts for me I'd be glad happy thrilled to hear them.

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007 03:31:57 PM »

Lion Brand has a couple on their website:

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007 03:58:19 PM »

There's one in the book, Knitting With Balls. It may take a while though since it uses sportweight yarn, I think.

In Last Minute Knitted Gifts, there's the bulky zippered raglan. I don't think it's a hoodie but it's pretty easy to add it on.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007 04:52:50 PM »

Knitscene's Central Park Hoodie might work for you.  (It's in the Fall 2006 issue.  You can see the pattern (it's #13) and buy the back issue here.  It's designed for women, and the largest size is a 48" chest.  Shaping's relatively minimal though, so you could resize it without too much work.  And I saw a version that a man had made for himself; unfortunately I can't find the link right now.  (In the original version, you use smaller needles so that the waist is narrow, and as I recall they just skipped that in the "male" version.  Didn't change anything else.)  The knitting's not bad, especially if you've done cables before.  The seaming is kind of annoying though.  (I'm about 3/4 done with a modified version that I'm making.) 

This looks kind of like Rogue; it could work.  It's written for up to a 47" chest, but it looks like it wouldn't be too bad to size up if necessary.  Here's another one from Knitty, up to a 48" chest.  It looks like it might be difficult to resize though.  OK, one more from Knitty.  Smiley  It's a men's sweater, there's no hood but that could be easily added.  (Basically, you'd pick up stitches, and instead of knitting the collar as written, you'd knit a hood.) 

But you're right, there aren't many options.  Hope that you're able to find something!

Vegetarian yarnivore
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007 11:06:48 PM »

here's the central park hoodie that a guy made, it looks nice.
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007 12:59:51 AM »

brooklyntweed does amazing jobs with adapting patterns for himself if you were just looking for adaptation inspiration...
New England Yarn Addict

i poke badgers with spoons!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007 10:57:41 AM »

there's a pattern for a zip hoodie on knit picks

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. ~Mark Twain
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007 11:09:06 AM »

brooklyntweed does amazing jobs with adapting patterns for himself if you were just looking for adaptation inspiration...

He just posted an awsome adaption to EZ adult Tomten pattern that looks great.

Check it out here

Bunny in a Bear
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007 01:28:41 PM »

Thanks for all the replies everyone!  Great research.  I can't believe how many cool items you found.  I guess it pays to know where to look or ask Cheesy

I've considered quite a few of them but the one that really caught my eye is the Adult Tomten Jacket.  I really like the simple lines and strong edges.  Plus those accent stripes that go over the shoulders are pretty snazzy Grin

Great colours on the one that the model is wearing. I really wanted to do a dark green or an earthy brown, but I now really like that rich autumn trim.  It's going to be tough to pick colours now that I want to do more than one Smiley

The thing that worries me is that a lot of modifications were made to it from the original pattern.  However they seem to be well documented so I might have a chance at getting it close Wink.  I'm also a tad worried about doing a whole sweater in garter stitich, but I guess I have to dive into the deep end some day.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to which of these two pattern books that it is printed in is a better buy?  Knitting w/o Tears or Knitting Workshop?  They are both by Elizabeth Zimmermann.  I'll have to check out my local book store and see them both I guess.

Thanks again for all the help, and unless anyone talks me out of this (my knitting guru might) I think I'm going to try and do it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007 09:40:37 PM by Bunny in a Bear » THIS ROCKS   Logged

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007 03:06:47 AM »

good luck john!! look forward to seeing your FO!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do the Graffiti Letter D
How to Draw a Panther
How to Draw an Ellipse
How to Draw Polar Bears
How to Draw Fantasy Creatures
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...