A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,317
Currently Running With Scissors:
555 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: d20 Necklace to suit small person  (Read 2280 times)
Tags for this thread: dice  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

moonshinebluebird
« on: July 11, 2007 01:01:05 PM »

I had a necklace a long time ago that I just loved, it broke and went flying into a few pieces that were lost.  Oddly I could not find one like it as much as I looked! (I think it was a short phase where they were focusing on some other style).

I do not make jewelry.  I think it has something to with patience and my horribly shaking hands, but thought I'd give it a try.  I felt less intimidated knowing that I was making this for myself and not for someone else.

My previous necklace was really simple and had a small bead at the end of it.  I had found these small d20's at the local Game Chest and could not pass them up!  I don't like rolling small dice, it annoys me so drilling a hole in them didn't bother me. (I am an avid pencil and paper rpg player, dnd variety) 

and one more at a different angle, its not the best picture but it shows the layout better.

A major factor was that I like delicate small things.  I'm 4 foot 10 and 3/4inch (thats important) and tiny boned.  Big things don't look right on me.  So the tiny d20 sealed it Smiley  I think the jewelry and such out there made from d20 and other dice are just awesome!  I just always felt they might overwhelm me, and my clumsy nature would get them knocked about too much.  I know of bunch of crafsters have made some dice jewelry and a big thumbs up to them, they rock!  I really like to see that there are others out there still playing too Smiley

micky

THIS ROCKS   Logged

An ACEO a day for a year
Flickr
Etsy
"A wise old owl lived in an oak..."
Mienna
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007 01:43:21 PM »

I was thinking about using dice to make jewelry the other day but I was hesitant 'cause I wasn't sure how easy it would be to drill them. Was it difficult? Did you break any?

I love your necklace, it's freaking awesome! I want to make some d6 earrings, I think they'd be great. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

moonshinebluebird
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007 02:10:41 PM »

Oh you should! It was very easy and they didn't break.  It is plastic so you do get some meltyness, but it wasn't so bad for just the little hole I needed to drill.  And I forgot to mention that I used some E600 to glue a little homemade eyelet in there to attach it. 

Do you have a dremmel?

I have mine set up with a little drill press type thing and its been really awesome for drilling small holes in small things.

Also here are the bits, I can't remember which I used.

They're both pretty small but that tiny one I have used to drill through coffee beans and tiny little pieces of soft metal.

thanks so much for you compliments too! I think you should go for it with the earrings definitely  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

An ACEO a day for a year
Flickr
Etsy
SquidPrincess
cephalopod rockstar and all around space babe

just a (squid) girl and her zombie friend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007 08:26:34 PM »

This is super cute!
I know what you mean about being small, although I am not quite as delightfully short as you are--I'm 5'1, 115 pounds, and I cannot wear anything cropped for the life of me because I have a ridiculously short torso. Also, although I LOVE the look of dangly earrings, but they're always WAY too big on me because my neck is shorter than average because I'm shorter than average so the earrings will be draped over my shoulders and look absolutely silly.
Major props to you for rocking out with the d20 *and* the whole delicate feminine thing...seriously, your necklace is geeky, yet super classy. Good job. Excellent choice of small beads to accent the d20.
And, and...I still play dnd. Pencil and paper all the way. Right now I'm playing as a dread necromancer named Erik Leroux (after the Phantom in Phantom of the Opera and the author). I have a 19 cha and I am one *seriously* spooky and demented man. My backstory includes an affair with my now dead sister, named, of course, Christine. Yay!

(I never, ever play as a female anything. A genderless warforged druid, okay. Various types of (spooky) human dudes, sure. An awakened dog, heck yes. A human fighter chick? Bleck. Never. I find that it helps keep the games moving forward more smoothly when the new geek of the group isn't trying to mack on your character in a manner that embarrasses everyone at the table. Man. I'd love to have another girl to play DnD with. Sad boo.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Revolution is a trivial shift in the emphasis of suffering." --Tom Stoppard
http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m67/spooookypants/
la felicidad tiene tu nombre y tu piel
moonshinebluebird
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007 09:11:57 PM »

That is awesome SquidPrincess! And thank you so much for the compliments, it means a lot when you feel you accomplished your goal in design!  It is hard to find things for our size without shopping exclusively in the kids department  Tongue

That rocks that you play dnd still!  I think our groups are pretty lucky as for some awkward reason they are both at least half female and most of us are married with our partners playing.  We really get into the roleplaying aspect and there is a lot less "macking" hehe but I do remember that from other games (it was really flattering at first but then after a few games it got old and in the way).  I too would choose some sort of male or at least manly character to avoid that weirdness.  It sounds like you really work on your character and put a lot into it which is something I really respect so much.  I've been attempting the Druid/Shifter and its been a real learning experience with it as the rules on it are so flakey and there is a lot of houseruling... but we've succeeded in making it quite fun!

Thanks again for your comments Smiley they make me so very happy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

An ACEO a day for a year
Flickr
Etsy
teddybearbones

I made you a bag lunch C:

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007 09:21:12 PM »

hee! I make something like this and bring them to cons with me ;] I've found that it's an absolute pain to drill clear dice (you're waaay better off with a cap) including the pearly ones and sparkly ones. The opaque ones work really good though. My friend who drills my dice for me uses a hand held dental tool type thing, and it works really good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

|art| |etsy| |wists| |blog|
n u l l g a l
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007 11:18:24 PM »

ah, i like your dremmel set up. my husband and i share one, and thats getting old. the necklace is cute too. i used to have one like that too, but i actually shelled out money for it at a nerd convention years ago. so... you win.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fear not, for I am with you.
Is. 41:10
Jack of None

Speaks, thinks, acts: does everything but live.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007 09:44:10 PM »

Hah, I'm a short gamer girl too...I recently finished a red and gold 'sneak attack' bracelet using some d6 beads I found at Target like a year ago. It has enough d6's on it to roll full sneak attack damage for a 15th level rogue Tongue It was sort of inspired by the D&D character I'm playing right now in our Eberron game -- a swashbuckling gnomish spellthief. I want to find a playing card charm to add to it, since my character recently won a party member's soul away from a demon prince by defeating him in a game of cards -- payoff for putting all those ranks in Profession: Gambler Cheesy Unfortunately, I'm visiting family now, but I will post pictures as soon as I get home.

...I think I play an equal amount of male and female characters. I used to play only male characters, because I was shy and didn't want people to hit on me, but as I got to know my gaming group I realized that in general the gamers in my town are pretty nice people and will tell someone to knock it off if they're making someone uncomfortable and disrupting the game Smiley I do tend to prefer playing the 'good guys', though, with the occasional arrogant aristocrat or mad fairy-lord's pet thrown in for spice. This puts me slightly at odds with some of my Vampire-fancying friends  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dulce est desipere, in loco.
animaeariesgirl

Final Fantasy Love Forever <3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007 06:37:17 AM »

whee~ very simple yet very pretty  Grin aww i feel your pain, i am 4'9.5" and if i wear too much accessories or one too big for me i look like squished and overwhelmed. hooray for rpgs  Grin wonderful job on the necklace  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mienna
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007 07:03:06 AM »

I do have a dremel but mines not set up like that, hehe. I'm going to game tonight and I think I'll be "forced" to pick up a set of tiny dice to give this a try. Wink
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007 07:03:39 AM by Mienna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Star Wars-Clone Wars: Count Dooku
Wayne Gonzales at Paula Cooper Gallery
How to paint with your hands
How to Draw an Easy Spider
New Bedroom Entrance Day 5
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...