A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,166
Currently Running With Scissors:
546 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: poor garden planning....  (Read 1849 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tomb_bloom
« on: July 11, 2007 11:32:49 AM »

Ok this year was the first time we planted veggies, herbs, and flowers we have no knowledge of gardening and just did alot of experimental planting to see if we could grow stuff....

needless to say the toms we planted as a tiny plant is HUGE and crowding all the other plants crowding even more plants....

On with the questions:
I have marigolds I planted from seeds that are doing awesome but not flowering, sunflowers that are the same and artichokes - when is it safe to transplant to make more room in the bed? Is it ok to transplant?? Then, I have peppers, cucs and squash that needs to be scooted over - will I kill my little garden if I move anything....

Huh

help

<----bad gardener!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

auntiem
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007 04:18:29 PM »

Don't worry, almost every new gardener does this - esp. with tomatoes. I never believe that tiny plant will get so huge.
I don't know what zone you are in, but at this point if anything has flowered and/or starting to sprout something - don't move it. They will just have to struggle along where they are. Don't worry, squash can handle just about anything. I do square foot gardening and you'd be suprised how close you can grow things.
Also, the only time I grew artichoke it was and aphid magnet - so keep an eye on that guy.
Good luck! I'd say leave everything alone and just make sure to water really well. Don't worry plants really do want to grow - they will find a way to achieve their destiny.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tomb_bloom
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007 05:33:59 PM »

thank you, I will keep an eye on the chokes and leave it be Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tomb_bloom
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007 05:34:49 PM »

oh we are in washington what zone is that?? I sound like the worlds worst gardener!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

auntiem
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007 10:55:01 AM »

Washington state? west or east?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tomb_bloom
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007 06:28:15 PM »

Yeah WA State, near Tacoma
THIS ROCKS   Logged

auntiem
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007 10:48:54 AM »

Howdy neighbor - I'm north of you by the border. You are zone 7/8 - hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tomb_bloom
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007 04:35:42 PM »

thanks SO much!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ptarmic wumpus
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are in room 2

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007 11:58:11 PM »

Artichoke needs a cool period to set the blossoms. Last year, we had a hot spring and my large artichoke plants didn't set buds until after it started getting cold in September.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coachwriter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007 11:00:15 AM »

I'm near Seattle, so same kind of weather, more or less. This was the first year for my raised bed veggie garden although I had grown them in pots before. I had a GREAT lettuce crop, started in April and becasue the weather has been relatively cool, I'm still picking alhtough next week I'll rip out what I have and put in more. I planted mesclan mix which is what we like along with some arugula and boy, it's great. Had bad luck with a small ball like zucchini. They flowered and fruited at the end, but all the fruit rotted at the stem so I pulled all of them. Tomatoes are so-so. Just haven't had the heat yet.

I bought an artichoke plant early in spring just for fun and it had one cute little artichoke on it. Can't wait for next year. Hopefully no aphids.

How has yours turned out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Try "The half hour that changes lives." It's free life, personal or solo business coaching at www.coachwithlynn.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Macromedia Flash 8 - Using Graphic Symbols
Macromedia Flash 8 - Adding Audio, Swapping Symbols and Testing a Movie
Macromedia Flash 8 - Creating Animations
Macromedia Flash 8 - Introducing Keyframes, the Transform Tool and Tweening
Macromedia Flash 8 - Duplicating Library Items
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...